1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Son of Hope by elerosse13 - K+

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by blisfulloblivion, Jun 26, 2013.

1. blisfulloblivion

blisfulloblivion Squib

Title: Son of Hope
    Author: elerosse13
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Crossover
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: None
    Summary: The war against Voldemort has ended and all Harry wants to do is rest. But sometimes we get what we need, instead of what we want. Join Harry as he undertakes an Epic journey and finally finds himself among other people-who-lived. (NOT FELLOWSHIP TIME) NOT SLASH
    Link: FanFiction.Net

This is my first post so if I did anything wrong let me know so I can fix it. Also, it might be a little early to put this up for review but I felt there was enough there to get a feel for the story.

This is elerosse13 first story and so far I think it's pretty good. The writing is decent although, there are some noticeable typos. The characterization is surprisingly good and canon-like. In fact Harry might annoy some readers because he's a little too similar to canon. But it's still early so the chances are pretty good that we'll see changes in his character as things progress.

This story is post DH/fellowship, meaning this isn't going to be a rehash with (insert character) cut and pasted into the story.

What really grabbed my attention was the lead up to Harry's sudden arrival in Middle Earth. Most AU's where Harry or whoever ends up in AD/lotr/etc ... the chapter leading up to the world jump is almost always some overly angsty end of war, "Everyone I love is DEEEAAAAAAAD!!!!" garbage. Thankfully the author opened with something different.

Anyway, this probably won't be for everybody especially since it's hard to tell what direction the author will choose to take it (I suspect fluff) but it shows potential. As of now, I'd give it a 3/5.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not library worthy, but it isn't terrible.

The writing is bland. Sentences are short, boring, and I found myself skipping quite a few paragraphs. The formatting is odd,as every new sentence is a new line, and internalised speech isn't separated from the narrative at all.

It starts like most other post-DH crossovers. Funerals and sadness, Ginny is being clingy and Harry no longer loves her, the goblins are being whiny pricks, Kingsley is about as blunt as a paving slab to the face, and Luna somehow holds all the answers.

Harry arrives in Middle Earth, and wanders out of some Goblin caves without his shoes, a robe, or his wand. He does, however, have a sword. He also has a rather enlightening conversation with a snake, and then a magical horse finds him.

I'll stick a subscription on it to see where it goes, but I don't hold much hope for anything.

I've read much worse, but this just doesn't seem to have much of anything going for it. 2/5, but maybe increasing if it gets better later.

As a side note, you should only really put stories up for review if you think them good enough yourself for the library - 4/5 or greater. 3/5 should be in the Almost Recommendable thread.

EDIT

The next two chapters don't improve it at all. It's readable, but that's about it.

1/5

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  3. Photon

Photon Order Member

I am unable to read it as result of starting a new line after every single sentence.

4. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The writing is poor and stilted. The formatting is absolutely horrible. The further I read, the more I could feel my frown increase. Based on those alone, this is close to unreadable. '"Enter shitty dialogue" XXX said [enter emotion]-ly' seems to be the standard.

The plot... what Thaumologist said. Unimpressive. Harry himself is very inconsistent, and comes off stupid and petulant.

2/5, and that's stretching it.

5. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

I won't bother listing the problems with this story, as other posters before me have said everything I would have to say. That said, and this is to the OP, take a look at some of the Library fics (the 3.5~4 star ones) and compare them to this story. The gulf in class is very obvious, and this is because not everything makes it into the Library - DLP has high standards.

So my advice to OP, and going off your post count/join date, lurk more and familiarize yourself with these standards. As it is, this fic is 1.5/5, rounding down.

6. R. Daneel Olivaw

R. Daneel Olivaw Groundskeeper

The worst thing about this story is the formatting. Otherwise it's not badly written from a technical standpoint and a big step up from the typical FF.net stuff. But it's far from being up to the library quality.

I agree with what the other posters have said. Not compelling, or even interesting for that matter, though there's a lot worse out there.

It doesn't deserve a 1, even by DLP's standards, though it's not "average" for DLP either. 2/5 from me.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Agree more or less with the above posters.

I only read the first chapter but it's not as bad as a lot of things on ffnet. It's not good either. If the formatting wasn't so off-putting it might be something to toss into 'Almost Recommended.' It has no place in the library as is.

Also, the formatting would be really easy to fix. Why is it not fixed?

8. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

It's.... mediocre. I don't know what else to say.

2/5

9. esran

esran Professor

It starts with grammar errors in the authors note, and continues with rather poor writing throughout. why did you even submit this if even you thought it was 3/5? 2/5 from me.