1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sort of second Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by DarthBill, Sep 19, 2010.

1. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I'm not entirely sure if this counts as a challenge, or just a plot point but...

According to DH, the legend of the Hollows states that the person that reunites the Deathly Hollows will be the master of Death. In stories, that is always depicted as "You unite the Hollows, you become Master of Death." But what if that is actually a prophesy? That uniting the Hollows is just how you can identify the Master?

If that was the case, then Harry would have been master of Death since he was born, which could explain surviving the killing curse.

So, there it is. I challenge someone to write a story that features Harry as the one being born with power over Death.

I would like to see either the death of the Dursley family, or them treating Harry like a prince out of fear.

Also, the Cloak must not be able to be seen through. It can hide from Death, but not Mad-Eye Moody? That's just dumb.

Edit: Yeah, I was going to just let the writter decide that the Master of Death can do, but okay. I'd say immortal, can kill with a touch, and natural Necromancer (can communicate with the departed, but grant them life, and can raise zombies and skelectons and stuff).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

meh

I think this is a bit too broad. Seems more like a plot bunny to me.

You might want to define what you think the title of Master of Death gives. Or not.

3. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

That's just how the story went. Dumbledore theorized that it just happend to be three particularly powerful wizards that made three particularly powerful magical objects - that the cloak didn't actually hide you from death, the wand didn't make you unbeatable, and the stone clearly didn't actually bring people back from the dead.

4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

It did bring back their souls -sort of- from beyond the Veil, though. (Confirmed).

5. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

The Master of Death doesn't die would be one way to spin it. Would make for a possibly-amusing comedy fic where he either keeps dying and waking back up or he just plain doesn't die despite any number of injuries, which heal back to normal. The series did offer many, many opportunities for him to 'die' over the seven years.

But the thing is... where do you take it from there? Without the possibility of him dying, Voldemort isn't really a challenge on any level. It'd be good as a humorous crackfic, but without any level of conflict involved, there's no real basis for an actual story.

6. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Deathly Hallows you say? Necromancer? Master of Death?

The Gravesong Requiem, a work in progress by CareOtters. Prologue and first chapter available to you at your nearest DLP.

7. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Just because he can't die doesn't mean that he can't lose. There's plenty of room for conflict, especially if you consider necromancy to be dark magic and illegal.

Also, Rin, for the purposes of the challenge, the stories are true. The cloak grants perfect invisibility, the wand can only be beaten through trickery, and the stone can call the souls of the departed.

8. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

and despite this, being 'master of death' was one of a shitload of factors - in conjunction with Voldemort sharing his blood, and the horcrux - that kept him alive at the end.

So, yes, it's a plothole, but the whole 'master of death' thing is way cooler than anything else Rowling made up for the last book.