1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Soulfire vs. Hellfire. Which do you prefer? (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, May 8, 2008.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

A possible angry archangel who's pissed that Harry's uniting with the enemy of everything he and his lord stand for?

2. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

The guy gave it to him just like that, I'm sure it can be taken away just as easily.

3. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Not 100% but I think Harry cant use hellfire since Lash defended him from the physic attack.

4. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I hate to take this off track, but I think theres a strong possibility Lash is still there, if only a little. He still has her parting gift of playing music with his hand, which was originally gifted by Lash.

She may appear again in the next book :eek:.

5. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Well, Jim has stated that he wasn't done with Lash, so, yeah, we'll see her again. However, I doubt it will be in the next book, and I also doubt hellfire mix well with soulfire. They strike me as being like matter and antimatter.

6. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

:O really? When/where did he say this? I must see :D.

7. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

It was at one of his book signing's I think. I saw it on Jim's Forum's, and It'd been confirmed. But other then that, I don't know (mainly because it would take weeks to search that site; it's huge).

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Playing music wasn't a gift from Lash, as far as I remember. It was what Butters told him to do as a form of physical therapy for his burnt hand, so any skill he has is from practising day in day out.

Aekiel

9. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Yeah, but with out Lash, he couldn't play well.

I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something like, 'I hold the instrument; sound comes out. I'm not sure if I'd call it music, though.'

10. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lash's 'last' gift to Dresden was giving him enough skill to take music he heard in his head and play it on the guitar.

As for the actual debate.

Hellfire is a destructive power up, as an example Harry's normal Fuego attack becomes bigger, more destructive and harder to control. Excellent for a Black Wizard but not something a responsible Warden would be gunning for.

Soulfire, in essence, is adaptability that most Senior Council Members likely don't have. Take the recent example of the Soul!Hand. All the power of Harry's Fozare attack but instead of a simple Point-A-to-Point-B-gunshot form it had the control and adaptability of a literal hand.

So, while Hellfire is cool and appeals to our dark, twisted impulses, I'm casting my vote to Soulfire.

Also in the final confrontation, when Harry casts Pyrofuego did anyone else get a Soulfire!Fire vibe from it?

11. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Also, Harry and Molly still have the doom on their backs, so this is a even more important fact.

Nah, I got more the feeling that he was just using his emotions to power something he otherwise wouldn't have been able to. In Dresden-verse emotions power magic, so it makes sense.

12. Koalas

High Score:
    You've got a good point John. It was probably the white fire/ripped right through a Denarian that inspired that fantasy.

Edit: he is John I am Jon. :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  13. Aekiel

High Score:
    Got to remember he's always been pretty good with his fire attacks, especially when he goes over the edge, so to speak. Like when he killed Bianca and all her merry bunch of vampires :D. Burn you greasy, bat-faced bastards! Burn! My favourite quote in all the books.

On music. Damn, guess I forgot that part. Would be nice though, being able to play what you hear.

Aekiel

14. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

I'm going for Soulfire, while Hellfire appears to give spells more oomph, I can imagine Harry casting Fuego and creating some sort of fire based construct or shouting "Ventas Servitas" and creating hundreds of razor sharp blades of wind, or perhaps a tornado.

As regards to the question of which poses more risk to your soul, Soulfire's probably Dresden's best bet as it only uses up a bit of your soul that can be easily replenished, while to use Hellfire you've either got a shadow of a fallen angel making you more violent and trying to get you to join the dark side, or your soul is already property of the geezer down in hell. Either way, Soulfire seems like the best choice.

I also doubt that Soulfire and Hellfire could be used together, plus while the Blackened Denarians might not have any problems with Dresden switching between the two, I doubt the Archangel's would be particularly chuffed with Dresden using their gift alongside with the power of hell.

15. Aekiel

High Score:
    To be honest, I reckon that the Archangels/God would care more about intentions than whether he uses the power of hellfire or not. You've got to admit though, in a battle hellfire is generally the better option, because he knows what spells he is using but they're a good bit stronger than they should be, which is not something to sneeze at.

Soulfire may have the diversity part down to pat, but with that comes the need to practice it so that you know what you're doing. Hellfire is just an improvement on your everyday violent spells. Simple, effective, and not much can stand up to a hellfire-fuelled pyrofuego without being way too powerful for Harry to fight on his own.

Aekiel

16. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

All valid points, but ultimately we cant know which is better as it is unknown the entire limits/perks of either.

17. Koalas

High Score:
    @Aekiel: After re-reading the part this afternoon I'm certain Pyrofuego was Soulfire.

18. Aekiel

High Score:
    It does seem to have been a bit more powerful than it normally is, though I'm not entirely certain that it was soulfire and not just him juicing it up with the emotions from Michael's injury/possible death. Thinking your best friend is dead, bound to wind up a few negative emotions.

Plus, Harry has a history of using exceptionally powerful fire magic when he goes over the edge, so to speak.

Aekiel

19. Koalas

High Score:
    Exceptionally powerful yes. But this was on the level of something Luccio was doing in her original body, except more epic. The descriptions also make it seem almost like solid fire.

20. Aekiel

High Score:
    How the hell can you have solid fire? Remember Harry's description at the start of the book, just because it's summoned magically doesn't mean it won't act like normal fire outside the constraints of a spell. Besides, it isn't described as being actually solid, just so densely packed that it almost is.

Another part that goes against soulfire is the lack of after effects he feels from using the pyrofuego. When he used fozare combined with soulfire it took part of his soul (specifically the part around his hand) and he couldn't use it for a while, but with the fire spell there were no symptoms hinting at his soul being used in the spell.

It could be that it was actual soulfire, but I'm leaning more on the side of Harry becoming more powerful/skilled with his fire spells and this being the result of all that practice with the added boost from his anger and hatred.

Aekiel