1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Sound card recommendations

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nuhuh, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Hola gang,

I didn't buy a sound card when I built my machine last year and I am finally sick and tired of the weak on-board audio.

I am looking to maximize music listening. I am really not concerned with gaming audio needs because I game very very infrequently.

I'd like to stay below $250, ideally get something in the $100 ballpark.

Any recommendations? Cards that you are using yourself or know someone is using? I would go the typical creative soundblaster audigy route but I keep finding reviews of Windows 7 compatibility issues with different cards they have, so I am not sure which ones are really lemons.

Thanks.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Unless you bought a total bullshit mobo man, most of the onboard stuff nowadays is more then good enough. I refused to believe it until I actually bothered to install the Realtek drivers for my onboard 750i FTW, and I couldn't tell the difference between that and a Soundblaster Fatal1ty no matter how much I tried.

Your speaker quality influences what your stuff sounds like just as much, if not more then your sound card, make sure your listening devices are up to snuff first. I know plenty of people who buy super high end sound cards, then the dumbfucks are rocking 2.1 systems, or they're running audio out via a 3.5mm cable (headphone jack) from their PC to their surround sound system, not realizing they're just getting basic stero out of it, and then blaming their systems.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

My friend is guilty of that. He was bragging that he was running 7.1 sound off his laptop. I looked at his setup-He was using "simulated" 7.1 off a 3.5 jack.

He's still using it, he refuses to just buy an external sound card that's capable of 7.1. He's an idiot.

4. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Strangely enough, while onboard sound is usually good enough I find the USB dongle that comes with Sennheiser headsets to be even better.

My desktop still uses the original Soundblaster Audigy 2 I received with my original P4 (Netburst) based Alienware. (Derp purchase, but I was a kid...). It supports my 5.1, and still sounds awesome.

If you're iffy about onboard sound, get one of the cheap PCIe Audigy sound cards from Creative.

5. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

/goes and recommends a HD1 card with a lynx aurora 8. :p

Anything consumer isn't much chop anyway in that price range, they are all pretty much the same, all you'll get with a soundcard is better converters and encoding/decoding which is worth it for some. But make sure your speakers can actually allow you hear the better quality.

6. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Thanks, everyone. I'll look around more. I ganked a friend's 'good' speakers to test my system and still wasn't pleased with on-board. I think I will look into some PCI-E cards. Some of them come with headphone amps, I don't know how well those work, but if they work as advertised I'll be pretty happy. I usually listen to music on my headphones.

@ Murton yeaaaaaaaaah I don't have $2,500 for a lynx. Thanks though! -_-

7. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

NuForce uDac-2 $129 + shipping.

It connects to your PC via usb and I've had 0 issues with one of NuForce's higher models (the icon hdp).

It's got a headphone amp and RCA out for active speakers so you're covered on both fronts there (only stereo output though, so if surround sound is on the horizon you probably want to steer clear of this).

http://www.amazon.com/NuForce-uDAC-2-Silver-Headphone-24bit/dp/B003Y5LY1C

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I asked around on 2 forums about sound cards and speakers when I built my new system recently. Almost all the cards I was recommended were from the "Asus Xonar" line of sound cards. I ended up not buying one because I got the impression that any good cards would be out of my budget and therefore decided to pick up some decent speakers and stick with onboard audio.

Something for you to check out though.

9. JenosIdanian

JenosIdanian Professor DLP Supporter

FTW
    FTW!!!

Middy, that's an awesomely intentional Model designation. I'm just sayin. I hope it really is FTW for you.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It actually always has been up until recently (but I'm more inclined to blame my PSU then the mobo at this point) It was a mid tier board 150$ +/-, only lacking 1 PCIE x 16 slot over the top tier 300$+ board. Still had 2 of them, considering I don't SLI it was one more then I needed, lol.