1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Spirit of Nature by VereorNoxedSalvation - T - Worm

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Halt, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Title: Spirit of Nature
    Author: VereorNox
    Rating: T
    Genre: Fantasy/Adventure
    Summary: In which Taylor learns that with great power comes great... monuments. And temples. And statues.
    Link: spacebattles

Worm Tags: AU and Light(?)

During the Echidna fight, something goes terribly wrong. Taylor and a bunch of other capes get thrown into this fantasy-medieval world that see them as "Spirits of Nature" (i.e. gods). The story focuses so far on how Taylor reacts to these changes and tries to find a way home, having to cooperate with some members of the Protectorate too.

The highlight of this story is the world building and the interactions between the locals and the "spirits". The action scenes are okay, but few and far between. In my opinion, this was the right choice as really, any fight between capes and a medieval world will be hilariously one sided.

Characterizations are decent and the introduced OCs have real substance to them.

AU tag is self-evident. It's quite literally an alternate universe. Tentative tag of Light for now because it doesn't seem as dark as canon Worm, though with how the plot is shaping up in the last few chapters, this could change quickly.

4/5 from me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's a novel idea with decent execution. I liked the people chosen to crossover and I'm a fan of the idea that the Worm characters land in other worlds.

Interesting situation they found themselves in, quite entertaining so far, but nothing amazing either.

3.5/5, rounding it up to 4

3. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    It has a really interesting/original premise, but events seem to go by very quickly without having an impact on the characters.

Amal for example, could've had a really interesting character arc as she transitions from genuine religious worship to a deep personal loyalty, but she stays pretty unchanged throughout the story.

Taylor too, just seems to react to the things that go on around her without any development. She's been in this new world for a few weeks at least, some should be happening.

The writing in general is also not particularly gripping. Good example of this is
    the reunion scene with Imp. What should've been an emotional scene happened in a series of short one or two sentence paragraphs with no real insight into how the characters felt throughout it.
    3.5/5 rounded down from me for now, with the potential to go up if the writing sharpens up or the overall story becomes compelling enough.

Also, Link to the SV version for anyone that prefers it.

4. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pretty boring. The world is shallow, and Taylor not caring about it doesn't help. Her dialogue and actions are also off. No stakes and no real antagonist.

2.5/5 -> 2/5.

5. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

The story felt pretty shallow in general like what everyone else said. Anything that felt like it should be longer and more fleshed out was just a paragraph and scenes that felt like they should last a while were basically done as soon as they started.

I read the entire thing because I didn't know I wanted to read a similar story until I saw it. However, this story is more or less just a loose outline of a story more than an actual story. Everything the author wrote could have gone on for longer and been more interesting but the world was basically unexplored.

2/5, It isn't Almost Recommended worthy mostly because I don't even feel like the author really finished his ideas for the story even though he posted as much as h did. I don't know if I'm really describing that correctly though.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016