1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Split Depth GIFs

Discussion in 'The Humor Mill' started by Taure, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  2. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Is it sad that the first one of these I saw was on /r/nsfw_gif?

Defo knocked me for 6 though.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman Moderator DLP Supporter

I don't understand what's so special. They all are just movie clips turned into gifs. And the two bars ruin the visual effects of the scenes.

This one looks good, though the idea behind it - 'to leave the screen' - isn't exactly new.

[​IMG]

EDIT:

... wait... Are these 'bars' supposed to be solid? They are white on my browser. I supposed it looks quite different if they are transparent.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. foreveryone

foreveryone Second Year

What it is supposed to do is create a false sense of depth. Normally your eyes are supposed to perceive the bars on the same depth as your screen. So the image hidden by the bars is behind the bars, and when something goes in front of the bars you are supposed to perceive it as coming out of the screen. The bars are meant to be solid.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Would the .gif still not work as intended without the bars? I thought they were just there to help highlight the 3D effect.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman Moderator DLP Supporter

Eh - I'd need the same scene with the snitch without the bars to check if they are supporting the effect or not.

7. foreveryone

foreveryone Second Year

Without the white bars there is no forced perspective only the effect of depth of field (blurring of what is not in focus) already present in the original footage.

8. yak

yak Moderator Moderator DLP Supporter

That's a pretty neat effect. Apparently they recently gained prominence on Reddit because people with vision in only one eye were able to see the 3D effect for the first time in their lives. 3D movies, etc. all rely on two eyes, but using forced perspective is a different way of tricking the brain. One Eye Murton should be down with this.