1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Caligula, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Anything good come out in the fandom this past year?

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There was a Padme Peggy Sue I thought had promise but it went to shit with a horribly forced Padme/Obi-Wan pairing.

There are also a few decent HP/SW crossovers that have come out. I could track them down if asked.

3. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

I already read all the crossovers on DLP. Please let me know if there are any good ones not posted on the forums.

4. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah, I found them through the almost recommended section so I guess you've read them then.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Mentioned it on the other Star Wars recc thread last year, but don't think it has appeared here yet. Not exactly from the last year though.

On Being a Sith Lord is a funny, cute and really interesting one shot about femRevan coming to terms with learning she has an alternate Sith Lord personality in her head.

I always seem to end up rereading this every few months. Doesn't get old either.

Apart from that, I'm amazed at how stagnant this fandom is. Hopefully the new movies bring some good authors to it. Maybe it'll even motivate blank101 to write that Emperor's Son sequel?

6. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When I counted fanfics in fandoms at the end of February this year, those were the numbers for Star Wars and Avengers respectively, the two movie fandoms with the highest numbers:

Star Wars 33 400
    Avengers 28 300

Well, right now, the numbers are like this

Star Wars 34 400
    Avengers 32 100

So Star Wars gained roughly 1k stories, whereas Avengers got roughly 4 k.

Thor and Captain America are counted separately, btw, with 10 400 and 4 000 respectively, which is odd, seeing that I would have thought they would all fall under the MCU banner but apparently not. Still, you could make the argument that they are all the same franchise anyway, so, technically Star Wars got overtaken by over 10 k.

So, those are the numbers of a franchise that,as a mainstream medium was popular for over 30 years, (not to mention all the games (Kotor, TOR, Jedi Academy, etc), books, comics, cartoons) whereas the MCU/Avengers, while it did exist before, only got true public awareness with the movies in the last 6-7 years.

As a comparison, six months ago, Naruto had 377 000 stories, and right now it has 389 000.

Edit: okay, looking at other stuff, Naruto is the outlier, gaining 1-2k is true with most popular stuff, the rest got maybe a few hundred, if at that. most got less. So, Star Wars is actually, speaking from pure numbers and not of quality, actually still decently ongoing.

That could have been the buzz for the new Battlefront and the new movie though.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  7. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

Wonder if the new movie will maybe breath some new ideas into the fandom.

8. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

There's also a category in video games for Star Wars. I think maybe 5000 stories in there?

9. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Black Mirror, set in the rebels world isn't terrible but I'm a little worried about how they've characterized fifteen year old Luke, so far he's acting like a ten year old. The Vader Ahsoka interactions are good though, and I like how Vader is presented as an invincible bogeyman to the entire crew.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  10. Eimim

Eimim First Year

free from force
    Is an interesting and currently updating fic.

"Darth Vader, the Chosen One of the force, makes a choice in the moment of his death and travels back in time to the beginning. This time, he will be his own Master. Stranded on Tattoine he decides to take in young Anakin and together with him prevent some of the bloodshed that is to come. There is only one problem: Vader is still very much a Sith and bloodshed is just so much fun."

11. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Only a few chapters in, but this is really annoying me already. Vader is pretending to be his own father for... reasons. It's really dumb. He could have pretended to be his uncle, or something, and it would have taken care of pretty much all the issues raised in story. I'm choosing to give this story a Freudian interpretation, if nothing else.

I'm going to keep reading, but I have a feeling I'm going to regret it.

Also, the last line of the summary... so much cringe. Darth Vader is a cold-hearted pragmatist who's willing to commit evil acts for a higher purpose. He is not a bloodthirsty lunatic.

12. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

So in a few stories I've read, Black Mirror I recommended above and the sadly abandoned Unseen War series by Rigel Kent there's kind of a cool approach, that to normal people Jedi are utterly terrifying. In the Unseen War Lando is watching Luke balance on a speeder while casually blocking blasters and thinks that he understands why Palpaltine was scared of the Jedi, they're able to act far above normal mortal limits and it's disturbing. Are there any other stories where normals have the same kind of awe?

13. shez

shez Second Year

Are there any good KOTOR fics? Ideally something that fills the void of a lack of a proper KOTOR 3 (Let's pretend the MMO doesn't exist).

14. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't know why you'd pretend that, it's great.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah gotta say, the individual story lines for each class are pretty amazing. Saying that it's bad is a great disservice.

16. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I absolutely hate what was done to Revan, and I just don't like MMORPGs in general, due to how immersion-breaking all the other players tend to be. I've never been able to get very far in The Old Republic simply because the style of game irks me.

17. Jon

Explain to me what about the Revan bit irked you? Put it in a spoiler tag.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Personally preferred Imp Agent and Sith War story to both Kotor games tbh. I don't feel they've aged particularly well.

19. Jon

Imperial Agent story is my favorite so far. Did you kiss her, Hugplx? I did.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Genuinely didn't know what you were talking about, googled it. Seems you need to be a dude for that? I was Chiss female.

Besides, Treek best girl.