1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Rebels

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heather_Sinclair, May 4, 2014.

1. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Star Wars: Rebels, unless you've been avoiding the SW-verse is the new animated series to be seen on one of the Disney channels this fall. They just released the first real trailer.

YouTube Trailer

I have two things to say:

1. It's definitely not Cartoon Network Star Wars: Clone Wars
    2. It reeks of Disney style animation and character plotty-ness. Make of that what you will. Seeing as it's on Disney Channel, I'm not awfully surprised by this.

One of the things I liked about SW:CW was it's occasional grittiness. I'm not seeing that here, but then again it's just the trailer.

Edit: Stupidity

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Yet more Jedi during the Rebellion era.

Meh.

3. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

0 BBY is the start of the Rebellion Era.

This is dated for 5 BBY (Rise of the Empire Era) and falls under the Canon material. Seeing as how this is going to be canon, I'm fairly disappointed so far.

The first time I saw something come out on it months ago I was fairly optimistic, but with all the crap they've done recently, I'm of the same opinion: meh.

4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

To say that I am underwhelmed is a severe understatement.

5. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They're still around for a bit. Hell, until very recently it was canon that Jedi masters had survived the purges and taught Luke as part of the EU.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll watch it. I liked Greg Weisman's previous shows and I don't see anything to really turn me off of this one yet.

7. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

It premiered tonight and was surprisingly good.

I really enjoyed Kanan, other than his wooden speech about the force he was great. Luckily they had Obi-Wan there to give us the emotional punch.

Ezra? I like him well enough. I don't love him, but I don't really dislike him at all. I enjoyed his escape from his cell, and how his moral compass doesn't exactly line up with a hero's.

Hera and Sabine were amazing. They are both strong characters right out of the gate, even if the premiere was more focused on Ezra and Kanan.

I don't really care for Zeb. He's a bit much and needs to be toned down. Only Steve Blum saves him for me.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much violence and death there was, given the Y-7 rating. But a bunch of stormtroopers got shot, blown up, or kicked off a bridge. Disney really went all out. I hope parents don't protest this and cause it to be kiddie-fied.

What I really loved about the episode, besides the focus on the characters, was the soundtrack. I've always loved the music in Star Wars and this was no different. Both the cues from the original movies as well as the new notes and remixes were great. I have always believed that the music is a large part of Star Wars' charm.

I didn't like that they didn't show previews for the next episode or even tell us when the next episode airs. Instead they advertise some Disney Channel movie and then go straight in to the next show. How is the general audience that only tuned in tonight going to know when and where to see the next episode?

And in a unrelated note, I am shocked and appalled that a Spider-Man/Jessie crossover episode exists. What's next, the Avengers meet the cast of Dog With A Blog?

8. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've not watched it yet, mostly because the animation looked more 'Saturday morning cartoon' and less Dreamworks, Pixar or Disney.

This may sound stupid, but that kind of matters to me.

Is my impression wrong?

9. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Ultimate Spider-Man is a piece of shit of cartoom, that does not (or even try to) understand anything about Spider-Man and his universe, characters, morals etc. So yeah, they could make one with Carebears or Happy Tree Firends, together, that it would still do the only that show is for, sell toys./End of rant

I will watch this as soon as I can, although I do feel Greg loses some ofmhismtouch without solid few main characters, YJ was good, but Spectacular and Gargoylesmwere a whole other level. Y7, oh dear.

10. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

The animation was easily the weakest part of the show. Sometimes I was able to forget about it (when the action, writing, and music sucked me in), but then an odd character design would take me out of it when I noticed it.

There is definitely room for improvement in the animation department.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  11. Satan

Satan Third Year

After watching the premiere, I unfortunately didn't know it was still being aired on Disney, just at a later date than Disney XD. So I ended up missing a chunk of the episodes until I managed to catch episodes 7 and 8 this week by chance, and 9 today. 9 was pretty good, with a light saber duel in it.

The only problem I have with the show is that the light sabers are too thin.

12. Six Paths of Pain

Six Paths of Pain First Year

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

For folks who liked the first season, how would you compare it to the clone wars cartoon? Not Tartakovsky's series of badass shorts, the multiseason one.

14. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I finished the first season a little over a month ago I think. I don't think it reaches the heights that The Clone Wars managed to as it went on, but thankfully it never reached TCW's lows either. And it was just the first season, whereas TCW's best episodes were later in its run. I think it had a more consistent quality, and it also kind of fit together better since it was a lot smaller in scope. Also Tarkin and the Inquisitor were good villains, and "Fulcrum" showing up was nice too.

15. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I couldn't find a thread if we had one so sorry if we did but, anyone else following this? The art style took a while to grow on me. But we've just hit the end of season 2.

ALL THE FUCKING FEEEELLLSSSS. ;_;

16. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I left off on the last Jedi Temple episode. I skipped a few episodes from before that I should probably go back and watch though.

The show's definitely gotten better since the beginning.

17. Jon

Yeah. They've definitely found their groove, though I always get annoyed when we get one of those side episodes. I understand they can't do all plot, all the time, but I'll be happy if we don't have another half a season of 'we must find a base!'

18. Gengar

High Score:
    I kinda love Rebels?

Even Ezra is growing on me. Sabine's a boss though.

You hear anything about the next season?

19. Jon

No, not yet. Too dismayed with the end of season 2.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Omgwtf. When you started talking about 'feels' I was confused as shit. I thought the season ended back in December... Turns the show when on a 6 week break? I've a lot to catch up on...