1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stargate: Universe

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Blowing up said planet in the process...

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

..So what, We've blown up entire solar systems before. We'd make sure it's a dead zone first anyway.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. Boo

Boo Auror

It would be a good call back. Even get the Jonas guy to guest star.
    But I doubt they would send more people.

4. LuckyFelix

LuckyFelix Seventh Year

I don't think Jonas is in the episode. Some ambassador guy (dude from Alias iirc, can't remember his name right now) is in talks with them about something. I'm not sure what it's all about though, but I assume it is something to do with being able to dial Destiny.

5. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So it looks like SGU may not be entirely dead. link

6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Bump for some kind of justice...

The remaining episodes appear to be airing now, on Tuesdays.

7. silverlasso

Latest episode tied up some loose ends, but on the whole was unremarkable. We're at a point where there aren't really any arcs to continue (beyond longer term stuff like the blueberries), so I'm expecting new stuff in the next episode.

8. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Newest episode wasn't bad, I'd even rate it good. It really is a shame that the show is being discontinued now.

9. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

It's what I was saying before. It takes at least two seasons for a stargate series to get good.

Too bad this wont make it to a third.

But who knows, if the dvd sales are good it might pull a farscape.

10. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I still say Stargate: Atlantis was best in season 1. The rest was rather lackluster to me.

11. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Too much culture, not enough action.

12. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Too much philosophy, not enough action for my tastes in SG:U; lost interest in the series half way through the first season.

Not suprised it got canned.

The first few seasons were quite good, as were SG:1's seasons, but they eventually got stale/ridiculous in nature.

13. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Although the acting was rather terrible in SG1 season 1, their plots were great, the bad guys actually were badass, their was real fear of having a gou'ld burrow into your neck and take you over.

The sense of Earth being insignificant was great, it lasted up until about season 6/7, 8 was alright, 9 and 10 were terrible. Only Daniel was worth watching in 9 and 10 but things were a little too easy.

SGA had a great plot, which is still unfinished, acting was shoddy for the first season, but got much better when they got Ronan and McKay really got into the character. SGA really needs a movie to finish the Wraith plotline.

SGU was just boring. Really boring. Really boring plots, really terrible acting, terrible interaction which was the focus of the series. No one watches Sci-fi for the character interaction, they watch it for the action, the plot and the characters, not any stupid deeper meaning and episodes dedicated solely to character interaction.

If they made SGU more inline with SG1/SGA I can see it still going, i.e. them actually using the ship to fend off other aliens trying to take over the ship, going through the stargate to get supplies that they have to steal and raid against the bad guys.

14. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

I stick by my original statement.

The probelm for me with the show, no matter how much I like it is it tried to hard to be Battlestar gallactica. Don't get me wrong SGU is not Battlestar Galactica. That show was great until they revealed the final cylon.

It tried too hard to be like Battlestar, that was the problem. Baby drama's, unnecessary angst about Rush and everyone else (Baltar). Absolutely no interaction between anything sentient except the crew for 90% of the time. False religious undertones...

The show failed because it did what all SG1 based series do. They use the first few seasons to build up the universe, and then do cool shit. Only problem was they didn't give enough reason for the audience to care about destiny or its crew.

Seeing Eli debase himself over chloe.
    Pointless planet after planet survey mission.
    The endless drama about trying to set Rush up as a villain amongst unappealing flawed characters.
    Using the God Damned Communication stones!

That slowly drained all interest in the show.

Plus there were no hints of their being a real purpose to destiny until the second season. Now that it has direction its journey is less random meandering and more epic questing.

Its only now that they entered the second season that they are actually attempting to do anything cool. I liked the insect bug things and the blue berrie alien plot. The destinies original mission was and is awesome to me.

The last few episodes of destiny were the best in my opinion. It seems they know they wont come back so they just said fuck it and are starting to tell the story they wanted to.

Also SGA got much better when Ford left. I hate that guy so Much!

15. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

SGU was planned as a five season arc, so this was all scripted out with the assumption of at least a third season. SGU started slow like all Stargate - even slower than SG1 and SGA - but I think it's made season 2 that much stronger. All the character establishment and scene setting was done in the first season, so it's all epic space battles and weird time travel shit from here. Every episode (except Pathogen) in season two has been great so far and I think it could keep on getting better. Sad that we'll probably never know now that it hasn't been renewed.

16. silverlasso

Okay, episode 12 was pretty good, imo.

Rush's possible Ascension was interesting; I wonder if he'll show up again. Also, wtf is up with Telford being back on Destiny in episode 13? (based on the 5 second preview at the end of episode 12) I thought he was killed...

Hopefully SGU will be continued in some form even if it's not on Syfy. I think it's getting better, so it would be sad if it just ended before the really great stuff.

17. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

There's two Telfords, just like there was two Rushs. During the first run, the solar flare or whatever inside of the sun threw Destiny back some hours, as well as Telford when he stepped through to Earth. So yeah, there's a Telford back on Earth from the first timeline, and the one from the one we're on now died thanks to Alt-Rush. Basically, it's a neat way of getting rid of Telford off Destiny without killing him off permanently. That poor guy's like a yo-yo, really. A very expensive reccuring actor yo-yo that would uproot the dynamic too much if they kept him around permanently. Hence, pushed to the sidelines.

I've made my feelings on this show pretty clear: I think it's just good fun in its own way, and to be honest, all three in the Stargate series aren't exactly "this is why I watch TV" type shows, but are still just good fun in their own ways - SG-1's exploration, SGA's Shep and McKay Show stuff, SGU's atmosphere. But who cares what I think - I'm probably considered a Sci-fi pariah because I like how both Battlestar Galactica and Lost ended. Ho hum. Shame SGU got cancelled, but it wasn't a surprise. I'll just enjoy the ride while I can.

18. silverlasso

I know that; that's why I was confused that Telford was back on the Destiny (isn't he supposed to be on Earth?). Or maybe that appearance is because of the communication stones.

19. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Unless the SGC has found another planet to blow up, it'll be the communication stones.

20. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Hey, lets have the viewers see something that isn't really there (instead of imposing on our actors to do their jobs)! It'll be a great idea and won't detract from the atmosphere at all!

In all seriousness though, I found this last episode pretty good. I mean, of all the preposterous ways to get two brand new shuttles of a make discontinued a million years ago in the space of like 4 episodes or so, they really outdid themselves. I'm half convinced they just wanted two shuttles for battle scenes or something else down the line and created this whole plot specifically for that purpose ;)

Alt-Rush dying in the same episode was a bit of a cop out though, I'd have liked to see him stick around for an ep or two.