1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Sales & Gifts Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Can anyone say whether Hearts of Iron 3 is worth $15 (silly DLC included in price)? Specifically, is it better than Hearts of Iron 2? Even better would be if you could compare it to Arsenal of Democracy.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You apparently need the expansion pack too if you want a decent game. The first release was fucked as hell.

3. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Right now you can get a couples hundred dollars of games, including Dawn of War, 1 and 2, and all the expansion packs, and a shitload of other games for $50

4. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I'm looking at the Starwars pack, Hitman pack, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R pack. I've never played any of them, they worth the cost?

5. PinstripedPajamas

PinstripedPajamas Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I have blown at least $200 on games with steam over this last week. Awesome fucking deals.

The Star Wars pack is definitely one worth buying. Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy are worth it alone, but the other three games in that pack are equally :awesome.

I have got the other 2 packs as well, and so many others... when will I ever find time to play...? I haven't even finished Super Meat Boy yet, and I bought that like a month ago. I seriously need to lay off the pr0n and get to gaming, or go outside.

One of the two.

6. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

The STALKER pack is definitely a must-get, considering that it has the first and third games - ie, the good games - and skips over the abortion that was Clear Sky completely. The Hitman games are fun as hell, but they're looking a bit dated these days, except Blood Money.

Also: TF2 for five bucks. If you haven't bought it yet, you should.

7. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

TF2 for 10 bucks... tempted to get it and kick DLP ass on a FPS once and for all.... and the square enix/eidos package also looks freaking awesome... what say you guys?

EDIT: Anyone know about the Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga? Is this a good game?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  8. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

TF2 was $5 last night.

Divinity II is a pretty decent RPG. The voice acting & graphics really aren't up to par with Bioware quality, but they're good enough to keep you in the game. If you like RPGs, you'll probably like it.

9. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I know it was five, but what can I do I missed it. Also getting paid tomorrow so I can splash on some games.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Squib

I just bought it for $19.99 of the site and thought I'd try it out. I've probably spent 5-6 hours in it and I think it's decent. Not Bioware's best, but it's.. passable.

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I have Divinity 2: Ego Draconis on my X360. I enjoyed it well enough. The graphics are probably worse than the Baldur's Gate graphics on the previous gen systems, but I don't play RPG's for the graphics, I play them for the game play and plot. And for the $15 I paid for the game, I was not disappointed. There are only a limited selection of console rpgs, and I would say that it is in the upper percentile of all rpgs. Well, not really, but it is above average I would say.

There were some rough parts in the game, aside from subpar graphics. The level progression wasn't perfect, and I remember a few spots in the game where all the objectives were several levels higher than me. Some parts you have to chain chug health potions like your job, while other times it is breeze. I did the game as a ranged class too, and I think it was significantly easier than melee.

I did finish the game. It took me the better part of all week, but I am a completionist. It does start to drag in some places, and other parts just don't make sense, but I did have fun playing it.

12. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

The xbox and PC versions of D2 are completely different beasts. The xbox version was worse than the PC version in just about every way imaginable, including graphically.

Also, the steam version includes a whole other campaign, an updated graphics engine (which as I stated before, is quite good), and extra abilities I believe.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I thought the xbox version was decent enough, so if what you say is true, then then pc version must pretty good. Problem solved, game recommended.

14. PinstripedPajamas

PinstripedPajamas Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Sorry, didn't read a word you said. Who's the busty lady in your avatar? I need to know, now. Please.

15. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Only noticed the awesomeness of this late in the game and got HL2 plus the episodes for I think 5 bucks and GTA IV plus Episodes of Liberty City for 7.50 (all €).

Which also led me to notice that I have Portal on my Steam account, which surprised me :)

16. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

They gave Portal out for free for a while (you have only needed to be logged in to get it I think?). TF2 was also free I think for a short while, and another time for $2.95. Still baffles me how there are people who don't have TF2 and want it.

17. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Steam is proving to be rather useless garbage for me. Ive downloaded 4 games so far and none of them have worked on my system.

18. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Don't blame Steam for your shitty system. You'd be having the same problems if you bought them in a physical store.

19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

What Fiat said basically. What are your system specs, and what games did you get?

20. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor 2.8Ghz
    RAM: 4 GB
    Vid Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

The games I purchased were:
    Divinity 2
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Borderlands
    TF2

Ive gotten Borderlands, TF2, and L4D2 to run, but I had to make it so they start in windowed mode at 800 x 600 resolution. Once they're running I can set the video options back to what I want them at.

However the issue Im having with Divinity right now is I get a pop up that says "Couldnt create renderer" and then nothing.

My system is far from 'shitty'. It might not be the best, but it doesnt fail to run any other game I purchase and install from a disk. The only issues I have with running games are the ones I try to download and run from steam.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011