1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

Stockholm terrorist attack.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Zeelthor, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Not a lot is clear at the moment and stuff may changed based on the reports, etc etc, so take everything with a grain of salt. What I think we know at the moment is this:

A man drove a truck into the entrance of a store.

4 dead and 15 or so injured.

A suspect has been arrested. He has confessed and the police, according to the paper I read, said they have strong evidence towards his guilt beyond that.

The man is from Uzbekistan and has, apparently, stated sympathy towards IS. So yeah... Fucking shit. Enjoy the callous "I told you so" from Trump and those like him.

2. Lindsey

Lindsey Order Member

The fact that he is from Uzbekistan and not Syria is a huge deal (sadly enough).

Europe can't blame Syrian (or even Middle Eastern) refugees are a problem, Trump's terrorist ban loses a lot more credibility (as Uzbekistan is not on the list) and because he is not Arab, people can't blame that Middle Easterners are 'at odds with Western society.'

All it really shows is that Europe really sucks at integrating people and that we will probably see more attacks as ISIS realizes this guerrilla warfare is the only way they can remotely win. They've realized that desperate, lonely people are easy to influence.

Ugh. This all just sucks.

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Not sure if it's correct to blame a murdering scumbag's action on our intergration being a failure, even if it is.

Uzbekistan is better than Syria, I guess, because it's not the recent wave of immigrants that's the problem. Then again, it's not as though the people who are swayed by that sort of narrative will give a shit. He's muslim. Muslims are bad.

I'm just hoping the fallout of this won't be any more crazy shit happening.

4. awinarock

awinarock Alchemist

The people that would say those things usually aren't the type to care about the distinction between someone from Uzbekistan and Syria. All they see is Islamic extremism and the only people they have to vent their frustrations onto are refugees. More importantly, these people vote for politicians who don't care about the distinction either and they will use these events (successfully) as a springboard for isolationist and security state policies.

To be fair, we'd probably see these sorts of attacks even if Europe was great at integration. There will always be lonely, desperate young men readily available for these kinds of organizations to exploit.

Amen.