1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stories where blood DOES matter

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Duke of Rothwood, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Hi everyone, I was looking for some good stories where blood purity does matter. It doesn't matter if Harry is light/dark, but I would really like some good stories where blood does matter. Thanks

2. Duke of Rothwood

Please can you guys help me?

3. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Perhaps you should write a story where purity of blood does matter because I do no think that idea has been pursued faithfully if at all. I mean sure I have read many stories where the bloodline mattered but not on how pure you are. I would be interested if someone made a story where there is a general natural advantage to being pureblooded.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

An advantage to being an inbred? Doesn't make sense to me...

5. Necrule Paen

That's probably because you do not fully understand what happens when you inbreed. The result is simply that most of your genotype is homozygous, this means that you only have 1 type of allele for each gene and so you cannot help but pass on that gene and if your partner is the same as you then no matter what the child will that gene. This could be good or bad depending on how good your genes are, if there are alot of defects in your genes then you get children that you usually visualize when you think about inbreeding. However, if the original group of people had good genes to start with then the result will be just a normal group of people who look alike. In fact inbreeding is what caused people from one area to looks so differant from another.

Also, when the ancesters of the Pacific Islanders left southeast asia and went out to the islands they did not choose who left randomly. They wanted tall people because they needed people big enough tobe able row a great distance and people with slow metabolism (i.e. fat people) because they knew they could be out there for a long time without food. The result is that now the farther out the island the taller and fatter the inhabitants. The Pacific Islanders had been isolated from the rest of the world for a long time so they had to have been inbreeding for centuries and yet their genetic structure is quite healthy.

So really if the people who founded the pureblood families were healthy and had genes that helped them in their wizardry then there is an advantage to keeping it within the group.

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, but most people do not have perfect genesThe chances of procreating with another person that has that same recessive allele is extremely unlikely, but if you procreate with a close relative, say a sibling or a first cousin, the chances of the child getting the disease increases greatly. For example, if two people with the same recessive allele procreate, the offspring will have a 25% chance of getting the allele from both parents, thus giving him/her the genetic disorder. Most people have at least one recessive disease-causing allele.

7. Necrule Paen

True. However it is not as simple as that. Not all diseases or disorders are recessive. The disorder that causes people to have no fingers is dominant over ten fingers. The gene/genes that makes someone immune to Bubonic Plague and AIDS is recessive. Sickel Cell Anemia is a bad thing to have, but if you are a carrier than it is an advantage if you live in the region along the equator because it makes you immune to malaria. And a gene that makes you prone to one sickness may also boost you in some other way. It really all depends on the circumstances, those bad genes may end up helping instead of harming.

8. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

<random-but-still-slightly-on-topic-thing>
    Then there are genes which cause you to be able to taste Litmus paper (chemical), in varying degrees of severity. If you can't taste it, be glad.
    </random-but-still-slightly-on-topic-thing>

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I get that, and also I can't stand certain forks, the metallic taste of certain brands of kitchenware literally overpowers me.

Litmus paper, and that ribbon tape stuff (we did a project like you're talking about, tasting various things) both taste really, really bitter to me, enough to make my eyes instantly water.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Yeah, that's true, but that has nothing to do with inbreeding. That's just a genetic mutation.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well thanks for telling me, but I do not have the time to write a good story. Could you give me the links to where the bloodline mattered? Thanks

12. RagefulLlama

RagefulLlama Seventh Year

Hmm didn't read all post fully so if you meant blood purity does matter in that the 'purer' the blood the stronger you are magically but a story I have been enjoying does have stuff about blood purity you should chack it out.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2428341/1/

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes I have seen that, but thanks anyway. What I meant is that you can only cast certain spells if you are pure-blooded, or magically stronger etc.

14. Necrule Paen

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1551751/1/

This mentions that kind of thing but has not been updated in a while. Also, she says its going to be slash but there has not been much done about it.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

On the topic of inbreeding.

If there is a negative genetic trait in a certain population, then inbreeding will make it come out.
    If there is a positive genetic trait, then inbreeding has to potential to bring it out.

In situations where the starting population does not have any significant amount of bad genes to start with (for example the Pacific Islanders) as well as a short life expectancy due to inferior medical technology, then the bad genes will be phased out because the people who had that gene as the dominant one would not survive to reproduce. However that would be an ideal situation.

It doesn't work like that in the vast majority of circumstances.

Of course if we could find 2 dozen humans with a perfect genetic code we would probably inbreed the hell out of them.

16. Duke of Rothwood

Yeah I have seen that one, good story, to bad it never gets updated. I also hope she doesn't go slash. No offense to any gays out there, but I do not want to read about 2 guys going at it. Thanks anyway though

17. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

You guys are useless. :)

Hogwarts Apprentices I: Gentry Green
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1551751/1/

Very good story, the largest accent on bloodlines I've seen so far.

"Reign of Power" by Fayr Warning also has Harry becoming more powerful by becoming an heir of powerful bloodlines.

18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

nada, we were trying not to promote and encourage the spam posts of this nature that we've gotten lately. We've removed quite a few, several just happened to be left alone. Our view on it is most of the stories of that nature the person is asking for, will usually be found in one of our cats, and if someone links to a fic that isn't already in a sub-forum then they're getting tortured for not being productive!