1. Hey Guest,

Are you handy with Photoshop? Do you feel the DLP Anakin logo is tired and old? Do you want to win a special as of yet undetermined prize? Join the DLP Banner Photoshop Competition! Fame, fortune, and the respect of your peers await those that enter. Sadness, despair, and a deep self-loathing await those that do not.

Enter the competition.
    Dismiss Notice

Study Abroad in the UK

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Arthellion, May 7, 2017.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    So looked for a travel or tourism thread but google failed me.

So! I'm going to be spending 2 Weeks in the United Kingdom this summer and wanted suggestions on food, sites to see, etiquette etc.

Places I'll be hitting up?

London
    Winchester
    Bath
    Oxford

Got at least one free day in each location. More in Oxford and London. The class is a study on Tolkien, so that should be fun.

Anyways, suggestions?

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    If you're in Oxford, I'd definitely recommend the Pitt Rivers museum. An absolutely fascinating private collection from the late 19th century turned full blown museum.

3. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

Huh. I used to live in Bath. Still just a few miles away. It's a lovely city to walk around, but beware the tourist traps, like the Roman Baths and Jane Austen Museum. One is a sweaty, dense cave with the layout of an ancient IKEA, and the other has weird middle-aged people LARPing in bonnets and petticoats.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Two classes are going on this trip. I chose the fun Tolkien one.

The other is a study on the British woman using Jane Austen.

*shudders*

5. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Bump...

Because I leave Saturday

6. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For London, if it's nice weather, one of the nicer things to do is to visit one or more of the large parks and just take a walk. Hyde Park is my personal go-to whenever I'm in the city. Kew Gardens, the Royal botanical garden, is also worth a visit, although there is an entry fee.

Touristy things include walking the Mall, going past Buckingham Palace, the Houses of Parliament, etc., or doing a tour of the Tower of London. They are very touristy, but that doesn't mean you can't do them; you're a tourist. One thing you could do is take the water taxi down the river to Greenwich to see the Royal Naval College and the Observatory.

Further afield, the Hampton Court Palace is pretty interesting, if you don't mind taking a short train ride over there.

Not to mention the Natural History Museum in Kensington, the Imperial War Museum, or the British Museum. All very excellent.

My personal favorite thing to do, which is popular with tourists and maybe the locals avoid (but whatever, it's fun) is the London Eye. If you take the last booking of the evening, you're usually up there at sunset, and the view is spectacular. Don't be daunted by the line, it moves quickly. Book ahead.

Oxford: The Natural History Museum. The building itself is an exhibit of ironwork and glass. The collection is pretty interesting. Additionally, there is a separate museum, the Pitt Rivers Museum, in the back of the building that is connected to the main one that also has a pretty expansive collection of...all sorts of stuff.

Other than that, if you can worm your way into one or more of the Colleges to poke around the grounds, they're very beautiful. As is the old Bodleian Library.

I don't know squat about Bath or Winchester, beyond that I classical history was one of my majors in college and so I have always been fascinated by the Roman Baths. But I hear they're a tourist trap nightmare, so make of that what you will.

7. ElMarquis

ElMarquis First Year

High Score:
  8. Sorrows

Sorrows Groundskeeper Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I always enjoy Camden Market, for all people complain about it's gentrification, it's still a cool place to spend a few hours. It's full of strange stalls, antiques and alternative shops (and of course tourist shit.) The area has 3 markets (unless they tore another one down,) and is traditionally one of the centers of London's alternative scene.

9. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Update:

London is like a more chaotic NYC with more history.
    Hyde Park is gorgeous.
    Westminster Abby made me happy

In Oxford now. Had the joy of seeing the parties from end of finals.

It didn't hit me until I got here, but Oxford is a college city and all that entails. You think Oxford and prestigious history....but there is so much happening.

The Eagle and Child is legit