1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Sunset/Sunrise Over Britain by Bobmin356 - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Giovanni, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Title:Sunset Over Britain
    Author: Bobmin356
    Rated: M
    Category: Drama/Action/Adventure
    Pairing: Harry/Hermione
    Published: Sept. 11, 2005
    Updated: Nov. 14, 2005
    Chapters: 25
    Words: 378,513

Summary: Completely AU after 5th year! This story pits Harry against an manipulative Dumbledore who does not have Harry's welfare as his primary concern. Ships HPHG, GWNL and others. Rated M for language, violence and some mild sexual scenes.
    Link: http://bobmin.fanficauthors.net/Sunset_Over_Britain/index/

Title: Sunrise Over Britain
    Author: Bobmin and Alyx
    Rating: Mature
    Genre: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General
    Pairing: H/Hr
    Published: Nov. 27, 2005
    Updated: June 6, 2007
    Chapters: 33
    Words: 648,987

Summary: A nation in flames. Hogwarts, the bastion of light, has fallen. A mentor becomes a threat and a friend betrays his family. A legend grows as an ancient Brotherhood arises from the ashes to fulfill their sacred duty, and a battered hero gathers his strength to face an evil that threatens to destroy the world. MASSIVELY AU. Sequel to Sunset Over Britain.
    Link: http://bobmin.fanficauthors.net/Sunrise_Over_Britain/index.php

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012
    Thanks to SoS: The stories are no longer available on ff.net.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

I have read some chapters of it but he is getting to godlike for me, so I stopped reading it. It OK if you can tolerate a godlike Harry.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

True he is getting god-like... But it is still interesting.

Besides, they balance Harry out by making Voldemort strong as well... Or at least thats what they usually do.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

that bugs the shit out of me when authors do that.

Figure the man had a half a century r so of doing things to himself to get stronger, don't you think he's kind of already hit the peak?

In my story he's weaker from being reborn, and slowly coming back to full strength, but he's not gonna have this huge spike past Dumbles like so many do, I just don't understand it at all

this line ruined the story for me and almost made me gag:

EDit: ug n/m Rons letter is worse, rofl

5. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

What transition is that.

"We'll switch from the talking about how perfect a pussy-boy Dean is, to how monstrous his cock is"

YEAH!!

6. Midknight

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Once you get past the fluff it gets good... The first couple chapters are admittedly not the best, but trust me it gets better.

8. Midknight

Aye I agree the first few are rough, but it does indeed get better.

EDIT: anyone = I'm going to go on a rant here because I was starting to like this story, if you don't like it don't read it. :evil:

Ug I'm gonna have to take that back, Hermione evidentally turns him into a bitch. PPL keep doing things he should exact SOME sort of revenge against, and he keeps warning them, and does absolutly dick.

He comes off as a scared whiner in later chapters, who is only defensive and doesnt seem to acually act on anything other that that stupid Tin whistle!

He should of killed Ron early on after the Ring incident, or at least majorily hurt the boy. His total lack of action condems the story. The entire school turns against him for the most part and he's content to just sit there, be treated like crap and take it like a good "bottom boy"

Dumbledore in the story goes past manipulative and is criminal in his out of the world carelessness regarding Harry.

Ron is so freaking stupid it is painful to read his parts =(

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I have to agree with Midknight on a lot of points. Dumbledore is written so badly and out of character in this story that it's beyond ridiculous. His actions are indeed criminal, and I fail to see how anybody who has actually READ the canon can even think of portraying Albus in such a way. Harry, for having all of his power, is nothing more than a useless little bitch. He should have reached over and broken Dumbledore's neck during the scene where the old man tried to become his legal guardian. This story had a whole lot of potential to be excellent, but I can't see anything saving it now. Ron is portrayed no better. Yes, I know a lot of people hate him for the jealousy in the fourth book, but get over it. Seriously, Ron has more than redeemed himself since then. He and Hermione were both sort of stupid with the way they ignored Harry's concerns in Half-Baked Plot, but I've seen nothing of him being anything but staunchly loyal to Harry since their reconciliation after the First Task. I see this story as a rather mediocre knockoff of Bellerophon's fic pitting Harry and the Ministry against a manipulative Dumbledore.

10. Midknight

Even setting aside everything BUT Ron, Ron makes him look like a major bitch throughout the entire story, when the boy's never shown any sack before hand he tends to just follow Harry blindly.

Damnit I hate it when stories start off bad, get decent/good, then suddenly but a 2nd 180 and go back to blowing =(

At the point I'm in the story now, their investigation has somehow not acted on the nonstop criminal acts going on in Hogwarts. Hermione gets sexually assaulted/molested by Ron, almost forcefully fed a Love potion, and Dumbles is just sitting there smiling???

Harry should of skullscrewed the lil bastard to death, yet instead he's happier whining about his tortured existance.

It did have potential, but the H/Hr gets way too fluffy, with little to no action to offset it =(

My fav about this story though, is the T-Shirts: "Everyone Is Entitled To Be Stupid But Voldemort Is Abusing The Privilege."

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Yeah the story has it's ups and downs.

Bobmin356 spend to much time setting the table in their stories, but usually the last 2 chapters are where it all comes together... Call it putting up with crappy writing so you can get to the kick ass action packed ending.

The story is AU, so Dumbledore's character may be a bit exaggerated. As for Harry not immediately getting revenge, think about it, he doesn't want to get caught... He wants Dumbledore to go down and go down in full view of the public... Why fuck it all up in one act of revenge when you can just accomplish it later?

12. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

This isn't a bit exaggerated. This is taking the absolute worst that could even be conceived of his canon character and worsening it several orders of magnitude. Besides, I think all that deferred revenge stuff is baloney. If the man has wronged Harry so badly, then he should just fucking kill him. Might makes right, and Harry is seemingly now much stronger than any other wizard. So he ought to just slaughter anybody that gets in his way. Bah, I'm too used to writing Prince of Darkness's incarnation of Harry. I'm rediscovering my spark for that fic, since now I can start having Harry kill whenever he wants.

13. Midknight

Sye exaggerated is one thing, but it's so far beyond the realm of believable it really kills the story =(

And I did just realize who Bobmin356 was, I liked Dumbledore's Army and Spiritus, as corny as they were in the fluff moments, it was good solid writing.

Someone needs to take the crack pipe from those two and remind them they can in fact write well. I'd of loved to see a super pissed off Harry with God powers from them, instead of this whiny bitch in this story who is constantly too afraid to ride Hermione's jock

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Personally I prefer deferred revenge. It makes it all the more fun when you read the part where said revenge comes out.
    The story will pick back up in a couple chapters... I have a feeling most of the action will take place in the sequel to it though.

15. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

The problem I have with this story is he used the whole magical puberty thing to make harry suddenly stronger. I just hate that a whole lot.

16. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

Maybe a little bit but I think the whole concept about magical puberty is OK.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I agree with you Zev, hell there is a physical puberty so why not a magical one.

The main problem I have with this story are the fluffy bits, and my intense desire to see Dumbledore, Snape, and Ron die in the most painful of ways. Fortunately I know it will happen at some point, so I will be patient.

18. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

ITs not a bad story per se. Its just, I don't like the fluff. I'm also not pleased that Harry seems to just take shit.

There is a difference between waiting for your revenge and scheming and calculating (which Harry is not doing) and just not fighting back.

ANd Harry really ISN'T planning his revenge. Even when alone, or with those he trusts (i.e. Hermione and Remus)

Also, I hope Harry at least gets revenge on Snape, Dumbledore, and Ron.

I know Giovanni said they would die brutal deaths, but that's not enough really. THe deaths need to be something that HARRY set into motion, not poetic justice (eg. Guns are the best invention EVER. (walks down street for 2 minutes and is confronted by armed mugger who shoots him. OH MY GOD, I've been shot)

This is fate and doesn't happen in real life. In real life, the only justice that happens is the kind that occurs through active efforts to bring it about. If NO ONE tried to capture serial killers, NO SERIAL KILLERS WOULD BE CAUGHT!!

Ron getting killed by Death eaters maybe more satisfying, but that's still Harry sitting with his thumb up his ass and letting someone else fight his fights.

Any other type of death NOT brought about by Harry would be stupid (or else I would be pleasantly surprised)

OMG, the centaurs killed Ron, he was just too arrogant.

19. Vecna

Vecna Fourth Year

Yea the concept about magicla puberty is ok, but I hate it when they use just that as the reason harry suddenly can shoot lasers out of his eyes, and crush the planet with his mind.

20. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Sounds like a Harry Potter/Superman cross over, lol.

I guess people just use the magical puberty as being Harry's 'power that the Dark lord knows not' because it's easy to explain really. His is just a bigger jump in power because blah, blah, blah.

I don't have a problem with the idea but it's just that it's used so fucking much that it makes my head hurt to read it again for the 98273423rd time.

As for the story, he isn't doing much is he? Why doesn't he just go torture Ron then memory charm him until the next bout of torture where Harry removes the charm so Ron can remember? I mean, he felt your girl up man and hurt her tits. I'd have killed the fuck by now if I had his power.