1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Supergirl

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Nemrut, May 14, 2015.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, the new Supergirl series is supposed to start this year. An extended trailer, I guess, (is it still a trailer when it is over 6 minutes long?) was released recently.

Personally, while it seemed really cheesy, I am actually strangely pumped for it. It's Supergirl, and the best parts of Flash are those when they aren't taking themselves seriously, so, I am hoping for something similar here.

Am a bit sad that it isn't in the same universe as Arrow and Flash but hey, that's what fanfiction is for.

Am curious as to who is going to show up, would like for either one of the Batgirls to show up, seeing that there were fun team-ups with both, Barbara and Stephanie in the old cartoon and the comics.

The whole military stuff, well, we'll see how that's handled but so far, liked the slice of life stuff when interrupted by the occasional heroing more than what we saw on the military/alien front.

Either way, am looking forward to it and am at least going to check out a few episodes.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The "normal life" stuff looks fun, but the moment the costume appeared it went full-cringe.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Looks frankly awful. So much potential wasted imo. We'll see though.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Is it too much to ask for a proper female superhero? :/

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The parts with normal life reminded me of Gossip Girl. I agree that the costume was cheesy, something I would expect a cosplayer to wear, not an actual superheroine.

Although there were two moments that I liked: when she was walking away from an explosion and the shot from behind in some military base thingy. She looked really cool there.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I guess I've always found the whole concept of Supergirl to be somewhat strange. By being part of the same universe as Superman, she cheapens his existence as the sole survivor of Krypton. On the flip side, by having the same origin as Superman and yet being of secondary importance to him, there's something fundamentally misogynistic about the concept.

7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

That's my problem. Just come up with a cool, original female superhero ffs. :(

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Huh. The most interesting thing about this were the tiny glimpses of Superman we got, or when people were talking about him.

9. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think the real problem with this is that they wrote a superhero series that seems designed to appeal to the younger female audience, and forgot that they'd have to listen to what all the jaded old neckbeards, SJWs, and nerd-raging comic fans thought about it.

FFS, the Flash trailer looked cheesy and cringey as hell when it came out too, and look how that turned out. It could be way worse in any case.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well that looks godawful.

And what the fuck have they done with Jimmy Olsen? They're completely shameless.

11. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

12. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Wait hold on this is serious?

So Jimmy Olsen is now "Muscular Co-worker Who Main Female Protag Has Crush On" That sounds like a TvTrope.

Haha CBS what the actual fuck?

Who picked the music? Fire this man or woman.

At least i had a good laugh.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  13. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I'm cautiously optimistic. I like the main actress and find a lot of the Supergirl mythos interesting (got into reading it with the New52 up until the first writer change and the stuff with the Red Lanterns happened), and I think Kara Zor-El can offer a lot.

14. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

This is yet another piece of evidence that DC literally does not know what its doing and it will never, ever beat Marvel when it comes to live-action media.

15. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

The first episode of this has leaked, and it's... well, the best thing I can say about it is that it's not awful. The Jimmy Olsen thing is somewhat irksome, but I could see this becoming a guilty pleasure in the same vein as Smallville.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  16. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think the best thing to take away from the pilot is all the stuff people hated about the trailer was pretty much all of that there was. The rest of the episode was actually pretty damned entertaining. It could definitely go either way over the course of a season - the potential for this to be a trainwreck is pretty high, even moreso than other superhero shows because the OMG FEMALE CHARACTER factor (and ensuing ridiculous backlash if the easily-offended populace gets going), but I'm remaining optimistic. All in all, I've seen better, but I've undoubtedly seen much worse. 7/10 for me.

17. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

Is it more like Flash or more like Arrow?

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    DarkAizen : more Flash than Arrow.

It had its moments, and I am going to watch this but maybe my expectations were too high, because I was actually a bit disappointed.

Kara herself is fine, I like this take on her, plot seems to be decent enough, to try to capture the escaped alien convicts whilst clashing with her aunt (how many evil generals does Krypton have?) could be interesting. Effects were about what was expected.

My problem so far, really, were the side cast and how Kara interacted with them. Jimmy Olsen was the best of those and yeah, obviously he is there to fulfil the Louis Lane role to Kara's Clark Kent, more of a mentor though and I think that works. It's different from most takes on Jimmy, but come on, no one in the history of ever has said that Jimmy Olsen is their favourite character, or is even in their top 100, so honestly, while it seems a bit weird to see him completely different as this suave and confident mentor, I honestly don't mind. No one really gives a shit about Jimmy Olsen.

But the rest? Unless the general was playing some sort of game, playing a role to manipulate Kara during the first episode, he acted like a complete idiot. Why wouldn't you want the Kryptonian on your side? Why would you, if you have her sister working for you, choose to engage her by shooting and capturing her, instead of engaging her through her sister in a diplomatic way, trying to talk her down like that. If Kara had been anything less than the super nice person she was, that guy would have a nearly invincible enemy who is not going to fall for the same trick as easily a second time, now that she knows that they have something to take her down.

Similarly, I found the actions of her sister to be pretty horrendous and inconsistent. At first, she is rather ungrateful for her rescue, and for reasons I can't fathom, Kara doesn't ever pull the "I didn't want you to die in a plane crash" argument as to why she did what she did and the lack of options on that front.

So, for a few years now, the sister has known that aliens with a serious grudge towards Kara had been around and she found the best course of action was to keep her sister ignorant, unprepared and hope for the best. Instead of, I don't know, take her into the force and train her in combat so that she was at least somewhat prepared to fight aliens who were similarly strong as her. She also had a message from her mother (why Superman never found that and didn't ensure she got it, I don't know) that she kept from her for years and for reasons I don't understand she was okay with the general's plan of first contact being to shoot her sister with kryptonite darts, you know the radioactive stuff that weakens and kills kryptonians.. No way were they absolutely sure that Kara wouldn't die. She could have broken her neck when she crashed after being shot like that.

Then there is the fact, that she didn't want Kara to fight and do the Supergirl shtick but after Kara got her ass kicked, because, well, her sister always discouraged her from training her powers and had zero combat experience, she suddenly flips and says "you know what, you should do this, you'd be awesome" for no apparent reason. From then on, she was suddenly super supportive.

So, yeah, the sister was a shitty sister and inconsistent. All of that, I wouldn't have minded if she had apologized for any of the crappy shit she pulled but she never did and apparently Kara didn't have a problem with any of that.
    The friend who is in love with her but she doesn't love him back was rather annoying so far. Cisco, he is most definitely not. Cat Grant's rant sounds good out of context but was actually pretty stupid. A grown up woman objecting to the name Supergirl is perfectly reasonable. No grown up wants to be labelled boy or girl, the feminine name was never the issue there. Kara isn't 15 here, she is in her mid twenties and while I admit that Superwoman doesn't have the same ring to it, it was a bit annoying.

Then again, Arrow and Flash dragged their feet with their names for quite a few episodes, so, kinda appreciate they got to the name part pretty soon. I also was under the misconception that the trailer was a trailer for a few episodes, not merely the first. As such, I found the development a bit rushed, would have preferred her developing her persona and maybe finding out about the anti alien unit over time.

Then again, most of these issues are going to depend on how things are going to be handled from here on, how these interactions and plot lines are going to develop over the next few episodes. I will definitely check it out, and I really want to like this, I am a fan of Supergirl, but the first episode was rather meh.

Also, are they not allowed to say Superman? It was pretty obvious that no one mentioned the name and always referred to him as her cousin or man of steel or alien or whatever. Seems silly.

But yeah, worth checking out, I think, at the very least I am curious as to how they will handle these things and pilots tend to be weaker than the rest of the show, so, despite some of my initial disappointment, I am still optimistic.

19. Eyron

Eyron Seventh Year

Did not like. The tone was so... campy.
    Also what? The constant, blatant feminism shout-outs. Why not just make a real strong female character rather than constantly reiterating the fact that "OMG she's female and she's not useless" or "oh wow a female superman, nice to have my daughter to look up to her" I get that she's a woman, but why make it so god-damn cringy? You don't see a male superhero constantly referring to the fact that he's male...?

Then there is the annoying little references to Superman.
    There were really good parts, and mostly bad. Also... she's another Felicity.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  20. Betosa

Betosa Third Year

After that extended trailer I feel like I watched the first 3 episodes.