1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Tamriel discussion - Past, present and future.

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Seratin, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So after playing through Skyrim again recently I've been developing a bit of a lore bug. For example, I didn't know there was a continent of necromancer slug people to the east.

Putting this thread up as a place for people to discuss past events, current events as of Dragonborn DLC and the possible future of the empire.

What do you think Tamriel will look like by the time ES:VI arrives? Will the Dominion have successfully destroyed the empire or will the Empire have rallied and regained a portion of its power?

How will future games look back on the events of Skyrim? What will be their canon interpretation of the civil war and whether or not the Dragonborn was involved?

Personally I think they'll gloss over the events with a message like, "The Dragonborn united the peoples of Skyrim and ended the threat of Alduin" without going into great detail.

That is of course assuming that ES:VI is even based in Tamriel.

2. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Bethseda will never utilize the other continents, they have said as much before.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't mind seeing a second Hammerfell game, where the protagonist is able to bring the Shehai back to its former power, which would be useful in the build up to a second Great War between the Empire and Aldmeri Dominion.

4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wasn't Elder Scrolls Hammerfall trademarked by Bethesda a while ago?

---------- Post automerged at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

There's times I miss Lord Raine :(

5. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Why ever in the world?

Also I'm intensely hoping for Black Marsh. I want the landscape to be as hazardous as the enemies if not more so.

6. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To quote the TES 5 thread

7. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Heh, I remember that. Raine might have been an asshole who behaved like he was a 4chan's Prince and had his horse so high that made Crazy horse's monument look like an ant, but he really knew his lore, and more importanrtky, how to interpret, understand and catalog the mess that is the TES Lore. He could dissext any part of it like a professional researcher.

8. twitfield

twitfield Squib

High Score:
    The way I see it, the Empire is on the way out. The Empire consists of Cyrodiil, High Rock, and barely holds on to Skyrim. With the civil war weakening the Empire as it is, and the Thalmor working to prolong it and weaken the Empire from the inside, the Thalmor will win. It seems like the absolute only chance for the races of men is to unite against the elves, but I highly doubt Hammerfell would be willing to help the Empire after they were given to the Thalmor, and the only hope for Skyrim is a quick dragonborn intervention on the side of the Empire.

9. Seratin

High Score:
    The problem is that the future of Tamriel largely depends on the acts of the Dragonborn and the outcome of the civil war. An empire with Skyrim is in a far better position to defend itself than an Empire without.

Will they go with another dragon break where Akatosh steps in and makes both outcomes the reality or will they choose a compromise where the Stormcloaks win but side with the empire? Without an event like the dragonbreak Bethesda will essentially be shitting on the decisions of half the fanbase no matter what they do.

10. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

The problem with having the Thalmor win is that they are on a quest of genocide of all non-Mer Races. They believe that the elves were once like gods, and the arrival of men stripped that divinity from them. Therefore, the only way to regain that power is to remove all of mankind from Tamriel--Talos worship being the first step. So unless Bethesda is alright with getting rid of all but the Mer (not sure about the beast races) as playable characters, I don't think that's how this will turn out.

11. Nogan

Nogan First Year

I think the Thalmor consider the Khajiit to be mer (or arguably mer), so they should be safe. And I don't think they'd want to genocide the Argonians either, just the humans.

Also, I'd guess that TES VI will be set during a war between the Empire and the Dominion, not after.

What would cause the Dragon Break? Akatosh just deciding to break the Dragon (...so, himself?) sounds pretty weird. Have there been any large scale Dragon Breaks that haven't involved the Numidium, aside from the Middle Dawn?

12. Seratin

High Score:
    No large scale ones but as it was a way for Bethesda to keep all ending choices relevant in the future I think it's reasonable that they might want to repeat that.

13. Nogan

Nogan First Year

Well, it's one option, but I think it's better to keep that trick a one-of. It seems like something that would get old really quick, and also something that would be tempting to keep using. And while Bethesda could probably handwave a somewhat plausible explanation for it, it would probably be pretty apparent that it was a handwave.

It would probably be better to start the game with a war in full swing or already over, with something happening that makes who actually won the civil war irrelevant. They could leave it ambiguous that way. Titus Mede II being assassinated by someone on the Elder Council seems like something that Bethesda could work with on that front. Especially if they decide to go with the theory that the Emperor actually arranged for his own assassination.

14. elilev3

elilev3 Squib

High Score:
    It would be cool to have an Elder Scrolls game set in Black Marsh. Of course, it wouldn't make sense to play as any other race than an Argonian...but it'd still be really intense.

15. DarthImperius

DarthImperius Squib

High Score:
    I don't know exactly how Black Marsh works in TESO, but if I am not mistaken, in lore, Black Marsh is supposed to be filled with diseases that only Argonians can resist, and by consequence only they can permanently live there.

In fact, I think that was one of the reasons Tiber Septim's armies only advanced to the borders of Black Marsh.

16. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    Taking one of the last lines said by Tullius just after completing the Civil War Questline (I don't know why someone would, as it's terrible) that the real enemy to look out for are the Thalmor, and the sudden and sweeping uprising in Skyrim, it isn't hard to believe that the people of Tamriel, disillusioned by Aldmeri rule and somewhat-powerless Emperor's, I'd imagine the people ready to rebel again, with more vigor this time.

So maybe you're a soldier rising up the ranks in the army that is to fight the Aldmeri Dominion once again in the Second Great War. Or, perhaps, you're someone that lives as the scum of the world, after the Empire loses horribly in the Second Great War, and now struggle to find your place in the world.

They better continue with the prisoner at-the-beginning theme though.