1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Team 7's Ascension by Eilyfe -T- Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Pasta Sentient, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

If five posts are enough to access the WbA section of the forum, you might be surprised what you'd find there.

2. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Team 7's Ascension: Lines in the Sand by Eilyfe - M - Naruto

Title: Team 7's Ascension: Lines in the Sand
    Author: Eilyfe
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure
    Fandom: Naruto
    Pairings: None.
    Summary: Keep fighting, they say, eventually you will have won. But what is winning? As order in the Element Nations collapses, Team Seven asks just that. The desert cries out and on blood-soaked dunes their sandals leave imprints. Where do you draw the line when war puts morality into question at every turn? [AU]
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11830798/1/Team-7-s-Ascension-Lines-in-the-Sand

The sequel to Eilyfe's https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9948266/1/Team-7-s-Ascension-Blood-Wings I thought this story deserves its own thread as it is written much later than its predecessor and, in my opinion, vastly superior.

This story is enthralling and leaves you wanting more after every chapter. The character interactions are very interesting. The fighting is realistic and gritty.

Overall 4.5/5 rounded to 5/5

3. Laxus

Laxus Squib

I'm also about a 4.5/5.0 on this, rounding up to 5 for now, but I might revise depending on what happens in the sequel. There are a number of plot threads / character developments that were built up over the course of this book, without being fully resolved -- which makes it hard to judge without knowing how it's all meant to pan out in the end.

Strengths: Definitely very enjoyable and engaging. What I appreciate most is the original storyline and setting -- there are few fics that do a good job of world-building with regards to regions of the world that get less screen time.

Weaknesses: At times I felt the tone/writing was a bit repetitive. I'm not a talented enough critic or writer to articulate this well. It's something like, not conveying as much "range" as I would have liked? You know, how some books or movies make you laugh, cry, burn with anger, etc. I'm not saying all stories need to do this, just that at times I felt there was a bit too much of the opposite. I'd put forward Shinobi Team 7 by Gallyrat as a similar-ish fic that does better on this count. Though of course, I do think Team 7's Ascension is better in some other areas.

The author's writing has definitely been improving though; you can really see the contrast with the early chapters of Book 1. All in all, I'm very optimistic and excited about the next book.

4. douter

douter Sixth Year

High Score:
    I really enjoyed Blood Wings, it was everything I wanted in a Team 7 fic and then some more, a definite 5/5.

I've read Lines in the Sand a couple of times now and I still find it very forgettable, it doesn't have the same omph as Blood Wings. That said it's not shit and a pretty good sequel, but nothing to write home about.

I'd give this a 3.5/5

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Anyone else read this and willing to review?

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Could consider combining the thread with the thread for the first one in the series. The stories are directly related and of similar quality, etc.

It's a great story, that takes things just a tad further into the gritty realism territory than I generally gravitate towards. Ninjas are not nice. They are killers. And this doesn't always mesh well with the Naruto series... but it does work well, and it's an engaging story.

Start with the first one. If you liked it, you will like this one. I rate it 4.5/5, but personally round down.

My favorite thing about it, that almost makes me round up, is that it is a TEAM fic. The story isn't about Naruto so much as it is about Team 7 taken as a whole. And I love those kinds of stories, this one included.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Merged the threads.

8. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    The first chapter was interesting. There were quite a few grammatical issues, but nothing too distracting. So far, the characterizations are canon, which is what I always look for in a fiction. This whole 'characters in name only' fad is bad writing for me.

I cannot really say much here, but it has piqued by curiosity if anything else. I will read this whenever I find the time. This is much, much better than all the fictions I have read (or portions of them) on the first page of this section. Perhaps, the review count is well-deserved. Only time will tell.