1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans/ Justice League Universe

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by I Burn Water, May 28, 2012.

1. I Burn Water

I Burn Water Seventh Year

So recently for some reason I have been watching a lot of Teen Titans reruns and as a result . . .

I'm looking for Teen Titans stories, specifically those that center around Robin. I have no pairing preference, and actually I don't care if there is a pairing. If a Robin-centric story is not possible then a just a single, central character among the teen titans is fine. I have already read Avatar and Adaptation. Both were great but I enjoyed Avatar more just because it was far more about Robin.

I am also interested in good stories in the Justice League universe with Batman as the central character. Again no pairing preference or even a need for preference. I have not yet read any JLU fan-fiction.

I appreciate any help.

(I have searched Justice league and Teen Titans and found nothing of real interest, so I created a new thread. If a thread like this already exists then feel free to flame me and please direct me to said thread.)

2. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

Adaptation

Currently in the library. TV verse Teen Titans. It has a 5 star rating.

3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Uh...

Anyway. I used to read a lot of Teen Titans fanfic a few years ago and have collected a few favorites. Unfortunately I'm not sure everything I have will stand up to close scrutiny these days. I haven't read a lot of them in a while, and my tastes have evolved since then. I'll recommend them all anyway, and you can see for yourself.

- Jump City Sonata, by Japhith (sequels are Jump City Cantata, Gotham City Concerto and Jump City Symphony, in that order. Seems he's abandoned the last one -- last I heard his life was pretty busy)

- Re-Educating Miss Roth, by Japhith (sequel is Ties That Bind, also seems abandoned)

- Origins, by Redbyrd (sequel is Beginnings, long since abandoned)

- The Measure of a Titan, by General Havoc (Main character is an OC, but he's definitely one of the better ones in this particular fandom. Unfortunately I stopped reading this one when he hit a long hiatus between updates and never picked it back up, so I can't speak for how good it is after that point)

- These Black Eyes, by Post (long as hell, and the main character is another OC, though again, one of the better ones I think. This guy's got a few writing... quirks, that might turn you off, but if you manage to get over them you'll be rewarded. The guy really needs an editor, but good luck editing a 2,000,000+ word story. This and all his other stuff was taken down a while back, but Post was persuaded to re-release some of it. There used to be a sequel in progress, but apparently he hated it and refuses to release it. Thus, there are some annoying loose ends by the completion of this story)

- The Six Deaths of Terra, by Post (a short story about Terra and the rest of the team. Depressing, and it suffers from the same writing "quirks" as TBE, but I like it regardless)

- Aaaand... Legend Maker. This guy has written a lot of Teen Titans stuff, and I used to like it all. The problem I guess is, it's very OC-centric. Now, these OCs are a lot better than most, for the most part. I give him and his cohorts credit for that. However, they're pretty inaccessible without knowledge of these characters. He's built up an entire mini-universe around them. To his credit, despite the OC presence, the main Titans get just as much screentime and are always in character. His earlier works were published a long time ago now, and they show it. He also wrote some DBZ stories back in the day, which bleeds through sometimes. I'll understand if you just can't get into it. He's got a timeline on his page that should point you to where you need to start.

Of those, the one fitting your Robin-centric criteria would probably be Origins by Redbyrd. But Robin gets a focus in several of these stories at some point.

As for JLU fics... I've got nothing. However, the Justice League ties heavily into a few of those stories, particularly Legend Maker's.

4. cloud91

cloud91 Fourth Year

Northern Star by Hanna Sedai
    Life as Slade's apprentice is hard for Robin, but even harder for those trying to save him. Murders, schemes and hatred flourishes as the Titans, Batman, and the JLA struggle to help him. Meanwhile, Slade has a nefarious plan in mind for the Batman...

The summery basically says it all, it's probably not library worthy but it's still worth a read.

5. I Burn Water

I really appreciate all the replies.

Concerning Origins, Does the author only write up to the point of the creation of TT with no actual changes in the cartoon or comics plot? I mean it's story diverge from canon at all?

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He wrote it before the episode "Go!" was ever shown, so it changes that. But beyond that, no, nothing else is really changed that I remember.

7. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Northern Star is excellent. It is one of the best Robin stories out there. Read it because it rocks, and it's complete with a supposed sequel.

It's a bit on the emo side at points but if you can get past it, you will be rewarded.

8. I Burn Water

So I tried to get into Northern Star, but found it to be a little more than emo. Not really my cuppa.

I stumbled upon Twisted Hearts: Triangular by chance. It's written by the same guy who did The Golden Power, easily the best Zelda fic out there.

It's essentially a humor/romance with Robin torn between Raven and Starfire. It doesn't take itself too seriously, damn good writing and characterization, funny, and surprisingly serious and intense at times. Definitely worth the read.

On another note, I have been unable to find any quality batman fics in or out of DCAU, and am quite disappointed by that. If anyone sees something let me know

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  9. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I've seen maybe three teen titan episodes, but I read that guy's Zelda fic(Not the best, but definitely in the top ten.) Loved his style and checked that fic out. It's been a few years, but from what I recall I enjoyed it a lot. So it gets a second recc from me.