1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Tempered in Water by HitokiriOTD - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Dark Syaoran, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Title: Tempered in Water
    Author: HitokiriOTD
    Rating: M
    Pairing: Possible Naruto/Fem!Haku.
    Chapters: 9
    Words: 159,236
    Updated: January 31, 2009
    Published: October 4, 2006
    Summary: The difference of a second can mean life or death to a shinobi. How would Uzumaki Naruto's life change if such a difference had occurred? Above the red waves, Naruto's path is forever altered. [AU][NaruXFemale][No yaoi]

Link: FanFiction.Net

One of the better stories written, probably the best involving Female Haku. Author does a nice job putting everything together. Slow updates, but fairly decent sized chapters. Enjoyable read.

Checked: June 4, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    5/5 This is one of my absolute favorite Naruto fics out right now and as Syaoran said this is the best Female Haku written. Short of LT2000 and Geor-sama this guy is my favorite Naruto author and for the level of quality he has in his work the update rate isn't bad.

3. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

The best and perhaps the only good FemHaku story I've had the fortune of encountering. Though updates do tend to be a tad slow, it has great reread value and when updates come they tend to be fairly long, so I don't really mind. It's an interesting concept and his characterization of the players is pretty much spot on from what I can recall.
    5/5

4. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

Probably the best Fem!Haku fic in the fandom, which isn't really saying much. My main issue was that it never got past the damn chunin (sp?) exams.

Ah well. 4/5 from what I remember.

5. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

-,- Very few stories actually do.

*Reads*

6. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Author's still working on the latest chapter. Check out his forums. He posted Oct 27 2008, says the latest chapter is 80%. It's not dead ... yet.

4.5/5

7. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Next chapters out!

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Copypasta of my review of the chapter on ADD.

I figured this fic would never be updated again, so this was a pleasant surprise. That said, I only read about 40% of the chapter (which was still a whole damned lot of content, he really should have split that behemoth up a bit). I completely skipped over anything that was about Sakura. Not interested in her, at all.

4/5 for the parts of the chapter I did read, and I won't lower the score on account of the parts I didn't.

Overall, this fic is a lot too descriptive though. If it takes him this many words just to get through part of the Second Exam, I'm left to wonder if he's ever going to really get anywhere with the plot. Not that this is anything new as far as TiW goes, of course. All this writing and time, and the story has only progressed from the end of the Wave arc to partway through the Chuunin Exams. I understand the want for detail and quality, but all of that is pointless if the fic never goes somewhere. There is such a thing as 'too much of a good thing,' and this story suffers from that to some extent.

9. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

Slow doesn't begin to cut it. The updates are more like glacial. I really liked the torture in the exams though. Changed it up.

10. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

5/5, how can I give my current favourite Naruto fic any less?

I really wasn't expecting Sakura to inconvenience Orochimaru's resurrection plot the way she did, and that's all I'm saying on that front. But that probably won't change much, he'll just find another victim.

11. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

It was pretty good. The Sakura bits were a nice touch, though a bit too long for my tastes. It was interesting to see her actual reason for becoming a Ninja and I hope that she can actually become somewhat useful in the future. I think that her first kill will be beneficial overall in the long run. The torture scene was a nice touch in my opinion and made everything a little more realistic.

It's nice to see Naruto's training finally to begin paying off a bit. The twist with Takai Kouta's motivations seem to be hinting at something. To me it sounds like Haku and him are possibly related in some way.

5/5 great job.

12. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

Umm... do you mean personally related? I mean, he talks about how they're related in the new chapter. Basically he wants to kill her if she's who he thinks she is.

13. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

It doesn't sound like they're related; it sounds like someone with Haku's bloodline murdered his parents.

14. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

HitokiriOTD is probably in the top five in terms of writing skill in fanfiction. The Book of Naruto is one of the funniest stories I've ever read. Unfortunately his story is almost always updated hopelessly slow. The pacing is slow and it is pretty clear that it is unlikely to ever reach any kind of conclusion.

That said the characterization is unbelievable. The main characters are portrayed flawlessly. Despite using a Fem!Haku, Haku is unbelievably rich in characterization. She lacks any of the flaws we usually see in OC's and by no mean is she a mary sue. Naruto is portrayed excellently. The portrayal of Naruto's first kill is particularly poignant. Hopefully more updates will make it to the internet.

15. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Like others, I enjoyed the torture. A great change of pace.

Yet, I feel a little annoyed. A year wait... because he was struggling to muster the will or time to write Sasuke and Sakura scenes of the Sound team attack? Parts I ended up just skipping past (it's been too long since I've read this story to even have the slightest bit of interest in either)... he didn't have to go that in-depth with their characters -- well maybe Sakura, since he's supposedly planning this Sakura-Naruto-Haku triangle - but still...

Good chapter, but I hope the plot can move forward in the next chapter (with fewer cannon rehash scenes).

16. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I agree with Sera in that he gets into way too much detail. Sometimes, it feels like the flow of the story is stalled because of this. Especially when it is focused on someone whom I don't find that great of interest in.

That said, it's still a great story. When I saw it had updated, I was surprised. Despite knowing about the little % meters he puts in his profile, I thought maybe it had been put on hold, permanently.

I just hope I don't have to wait another year to see Naruto and Saskue fight. I was looking forward to seeing Naruto employ his new taijutsu style.

17. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I know what you mean. The Sakura scene just does not seem right in a Fem Haku fic, call me crazy but aren't Sakura's sopposed to die in these types of fics?

Regardless this story is straight up 5/5.

Hope he continues.