The 16/17 Great Big Football/ Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Gengar, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Transfer Window officially opens July 1st, so I figured this is the right time to start this thread...

Here's Dortmund with the uberbantz regarding the Mkhytarian transfer:

'Borussia Dortmund Henrikh Mkhitaryan wishes for the coming season in both the Premier League and in the UEFA Europa League all the best.' source: copied from their website after google translate.

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Well... United are strengthening heavily and that always sounds scary on paper. But they've done that several seasons in a row now without managing anything significant.

Sweet trolling by Dortmund. :D

3. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

United strengthening was hampered by Moyes and LVG. I doubt they'll have the same issues under Mourinho.

We've managed to get Xhaka which looks an excellent piece of business, but we're still struggling to find a striker and a CB. The rumours of Koulibaly appear to have died down, and I don't think the rumours of £40m for the Barbosa are realistic. Kinda feel as if we should have signed Mkhytarian for that price. Still, i'm hoping for Wenger to do his yearly madness and sign Dybala for 20 quid and a packet of walkers.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

We at least seem to intend to buy a striker quite a lot.
    Vardy isn't the ideal kind and we still went for him.

5. mort

mort Groundskeeper

Hearing about Morata + cash being offered for Hazard, bit of a waste, but tbh i don't see him as anything but a Benzema substitute in Real (which they do need, admittedly).

6. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

United strengthening was hampered by Ed Woodward being an idiot. The managers had very little to do with it tbh. Great to see Mkhytarian and Bailly, not too fussed on Zlatan. I'd prefer more gametime for Martial and Rashford. I'm expecting Mata to leave this summer, with Rooney turning into a midfielder I don't really see where Mata has a place in the squad anymore. Wouldn't mind seeing another right back brought in as well, we had a lot of issues there last season due to injuries.

7. elucidinian

elucidinian First Year

The managerial constellation of the Prem is bright this season - all the teams have strengthened not just player wise but (likely) in tactics and managerial quality as well. Mourinho, Klopp, Conte and Guardiola all in one league

8. Bill Door

How can you forget to put Sam Allerdici and Alan Pardiola in that list?

9. elucidinian

elucidinian First Year

/smacks head/ knew I was forgetting sometwo

10. DerHesse

DerHesse High Inquisitor

I wonder where Laurent Blanc is going to go.

11. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Arsenal just signed a 21 year-old Japanese striker. Takuma Asano. Looks like a quick, clinical finisher that has a bit of flair and some nice close control. While he's not particularly tall, he looks like he's built pretty solidly. More Xhakiri than Ryo Miyaichi.

Wenger said he's one for the future, but I very much doubt that at 21. He's probably just saying that to lessen the pressure on the kid. Sounds like we picked him up on the rec of the scout we poached from Leicester, so probably more like a cheap gamble.

He looks exciting regardless.

Now, Draxler please.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  12. crusader564

crusader564 First Year

Chelsea have just signed Kante. Love the signing as I thought he was the best player in league last season. I feel like he'll be a perfect complement to Fabregas in however Conte sets up the team this season. He can cover up Fabregas's deficiencies on defense, allowing him to push forward and facilitate the attack a little bit more. Starting to get pretty excited about the upcoming season.

13. Bill Door

What is Chelsea's lineup going to look like this season? Something like:

Courtois
    Azpi, Cahill, Terry/Zouma, left back?
    Matic, Kante, Fabregas
    Hazard, Costa/Batshauyi, Willian

I don't think they've got the players to do the back 3 that Conte did with Italy/Juve.

14. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery Prestige

High Score:
    Karius
    Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Moreno
    Can, Henderson, Milner,
    Coutinho, Mane, Firmino...

Subs: Sturridge, Sakho, Flanagan, Mignolet, Lallana, Grujic, Origi

I am not at all against this lineup. Considering we haven't spent nearly as much as Chelsea/United and aren't in the Champions League or Europa, we still ended up with a young base of really talented players, and we've gotten rid of Skrtel (HUZZAH!). If we can move on Balotelli and figure out Allen's situation in a way that makes sense for player and club, I won't have any complaints about Liverpool's business for the window. I think we're looking at a left back to battle/upgrade Moreno and that'll be the end of our business (I wish with all my might we could get Jonas Hector, Germany's left back but I have my doubts he'd be interested even for a fat wad of cash. It does help that Klopp's German and the only clubs that can really afford him are either not interested or in England).

Leicester don't look like they're going to be able to keep their stars, at least not Mahrez and obviously Kante. One of the new managers in the top clubs is going to fail and one of them is going to be at the top of the league for most of the season. I think Liverpool actually have a shot at the top four this year, purely based on the fact that they have little to play for otherwise and Klopp's got an advantage of knowing his team very well. I think Mane is an excellent upgrade on the wing as well, which is a place we've had very little talent the last few years.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  15. Bill Door

You wouldn't start Sturridge? I know it's a moot point because he's going to be injured anyway, but I'd move Coutinho into the midfield and play Sturridge through the middle.

16. crusader564

crusader564 First Year

Probably switch Azpi to left back and have Ivanovic at right back.

17. Bill Door

Was Ivanovic not terrible at right back all last season?

18. crusader564

crusader564 First Year

God awful. Just don't really see any other better alternatives.

19. Bill Door

I've been surprised you didn't sign two new fullbacks this summer. If Azpi gets injured you really don't have anyone that can do a good job there.

20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Karius
    Clyne Lovren Matip Moreno
    Can Henderson
    Firmino Coutinho Mane
    Sturridge

Subs: Sakho, Flanagan, Mignolet, Lallana, Grujic, Origi, Milner, Ings

This looks more like what I'd expect. Coutinho is better in the middle where he has the freedom to roam, plus it puts a damper on his repeated attempts at the wondergoals he's fond of hitting 1 out of 20 times. Mane belongs on the left. If (when?) Sturridge gets injured, Origi or Ings will be more than ready to get in there - I'm honestly more excited to see what those two can do instead of Studge, really. But you just can't not play him if he's available, he's proved more than once what he's capable of when healthy.

Expect Lallana and Firmino to be a pretty normal platoon - Firmino is obviously the bigger scoring threat, but Lallana is way more handy to have on the pitch if you have to grind out a 1-0, or need better movement. Firmino can get horribly lazy at times.

Wish we could swap Flanagan over to LB, I'm tired of hating Moreno and really hope LB is one of the upcoming signings. Barring Clyne needing a rest or injury, I don't see Flanno getting a lot of minutes.

Grujic is an interesting case - I'm not quite sure where he's going to get minutes, which is a pity, as he's looked pretty sharp in pre-season so far. Maybe if Henderson's foot falls off again, or Can gets suspended a while for finally snapping and wasting someone.

Other big question for me is at CB - Sakho is offcially ready to go again, and CB is that one spot where you really need to consistently keep two guys together if you can, so who's left out between Lovren, Sakho, and Matip? Only the boss knows. Maybe Matip can play LB? Please?

All in all, I'm fairly optimistic. Not having to play 60 matches will hopefully keep us in better shape for the year, and we'll grind out a top 4-6 finish.