1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Anti-Cliche` Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nonjon did an apathetic Harry once, it is really ratehr good. The link is in the library somewhere, from when he did some self plugging.

THe accepting his fame Harry idea is nice as well, it could be good to read.

2. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

Unsung Hero started out as a pretty good apathetic Harry; of course it skips over the parts you sounded like you were interested in and Harry seems to becoming less apathetic as the story progressess.

3. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

I' read Nonjon's fics ages ago, Freedom of Apathy and Apathy of Freedom were good reads, but I didn't think they were particularly good examples of apathy; Harry lost his concern with the wizarding world, yes, but it was replaced with concern for the magical creatures instead. Harry was too active on their behalf to really be apathetic.

What I think of when I hear Apathetic!Harry is more like this:
    [Scene: Gryffindor common room during CoS, just after Ginny is taken to the Chamber]
    Ron: Harry, you've gotta help me come rescue Ginny!
    Harry: Ron, I'm busy right now, can't it wait?
    Ron: [Looks round, frowns] Harry, you're not busy, you're just sitting there eating chocolate frogs and throwing the wrappers at Colin.
    Harry: ... Like I said, busy.
    Ron: Come on Harry, we've got everything sorted! We know where the entrance to the Chamber is, we know what the creature is, we just need you to come down to the bathroom and open it up for us!
    Harry: [Unwraps another frog and pops it into his mouth. He glances at the card while chewing thoughtfully. On seeing it's another Dumbledore he flicks it at Ron] Nope, that sounds like far too big an interruption to my schedule for me to [pauses to ball up the frog wrapper and toss it in Colin's direction. It bounces off his head and he calls out 'Thanks Harry!'] even contemplate it.
    Ron: But if you don't help my sister will die! How can you be so heartless!
    Harry: Well, you've got all those other brothers, it's not like losing a sibling or two would make that big a difference, you know?

Note: I realised halfway through typing that that Colin should've been petrified by that point, but I wanted him for target practice, so in this version it was, um, someone else who got petrified instead. Maybe Su Li or another faceless filler character.

4. KeshinNoAkui

KeshinNoAkui Seventh Year

A Harry who actually understands females more so than any guy at Hogwarts.

People gotta realize that girl's aren't that complicated. But said idea could work for Playboy!Harry or even make Harry/Harem more interesting, without resorting to humor/dark themes.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would like to see a fic where there's a good reason why people are scared to say Voldemort's name. Like he's done some sort of spell so that he knows when someone says his name and who it is, and goes after them. As Dumbledore is the only one who can stand up to Voldemort, Dumbledore is the only one willing to say it.

6. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

For any history buffs out there, has there ever been anything like that before? Where, for at least a period, people were afraid to speak some ruler/dictator/tyrants name? I know JKR made some off hand comment at one point about the themes being a slightly exaggerated form of real things, but not only can I not think of anyone now refusing to use a name, I can't remember anytime in which that was ever true. I suppose there might have been times when people didn't want to say a god's name - or God's name, but my history is weak enough that I don't really know enough to say one way or another beyond that.

7. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

In medieaval times it was out of respect that the servants and other lower folk speak about the king or even the Lords only by title, never by name. (Germany)

I can dimly remember something from russian history. There was once a band of people who slaughtered most gruesomly. Everybody called them The Plague.

I find it interesting however that there seems to be a real reason why people don't call him LV.

cited from http://www.mugglenet.com/editorials/editorials/edit-oakley.shtml

---------------------------------------------------------

Another anti-cliche I want to see: Harry is brought up by wormtail and the Saviour of the WWorld is a coward, though an intelligent one. It would be almost the complete opposite to the classical stupid but brave and honorable Harry. It would be funny to see that Dumbledore sets the adventures for Harry, but Harry doesn't have any motivation to get into them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  8. andiais

andiais DA Member

Also, it could originate from the sidhe mythology. Nobody ever mentioned the ruler of the Unseelie court by name after dark, as it would call them the person who uttered it, resulting in much misery for said person. Maybe people think Voldemort will appear if they say his name?

Probably not, of course, but I like the idea.

9. Mordecai

High Score:
    An interesting anti-cliche, would be that for some reason, Harry ended up spending a good portion of his early years in a Young Offenders Institution. It could be that Dudley commited a crime, and Harry was framed for it by the Dursleys. Whether he came out and attended Hogwarts as just a bit more worldly version of canon Harry, or if he came out as a hardened person, who knows more about various criminal activities than most police officers.

10. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

I dunno, I think Voldemort reacting to people saying his name would make it too easy to trap him. You get 2 squads of aurors lined up in some unimportant place, say Norridge, plus Joe Q Average, a perfectly normal civilian wizard. He says Voldemort, dives for cover, the aurors open up with Avada's, Voldemort apparates in and bam, another decade disincorporated.

11. Nenagh24

Nenagh24 Second Year

South, but not too South. Umm... ¿yo hablo español
    It would be nice to see a historically accurate story out there, there is only one that I remember seeing and I can't even remember its name anymore. Most stories I see now have too many references to the twenty-first century and technology therein, too many American slang words, or mess up the obvious historical figures from real life. Unless Harry is out of Hogwarts or has transcended time and space, we should not see him gabbing away on a Razor cell phone.

12. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

If I'm not mistaken, the Jews are forbidden from uttering the name of 'God', so they represent him with 'YHWH" or something. This could possibly be the idea behind the 'You-Know-Who' bit.

13. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Actually, I think it's the other way around, Muttering.

14. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Mordecai: http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=1943

I want to see Tom Riddle have a larger role. Not necessarily as a 1940s!Fic, but in the modern HP world. Where his choices and his experiences when he was know as 'Tom Riddle' are described in greater depth.

How did he become a Dark Lord? Where did he learn so much from? How did he get the fighting/leadership experience?

15. Fuegodefuerza

How about a story where Harry is a complete Gryffindor but has the power to get away with it? I mean, Harry rushes headlong into battles with no regard for his own safety and ends up standing in a pool of blood because he's actually that good.

And I'm not talking about the shit with Harry thinking that he's a total Slytherin now, but acts like a Gryffindor. I'm talking about a Harry that accepts the traits he was given and learns to fight with them. And this Harry has to be hardcore. (Yes, I said hardcore in a sentence.) I want a Harry with all the traits of a Gryffindor except the nobility and saving people thing. I want a ruthless, powerful Harry who obliterates everything in his way using pure force, and not trying to be all Machiavellian.

16. Mordecai

High Score:
    That could be interesting, though perhaps not the cup of tea for most members here

17. Fuegodefuerza

I just want it for originality's sake. I've seen the Political!Harry done to death, more often than not being done badly, and I think that the opposite would be pretty cool to read about. Mainly, I'm just tired of reading the same thing over and over again, and would appreciate something different.

18. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    As an example, when the press is slandering him, instead of using Rita to print his article, he just goes to Daily Prophet headquarters and trashes the place.

He rants and raves and forces them to write the article he wants. Instead of going to MoM on threstals, he forces someone to take them there

Like that Fue?

19. KeshinNoAkui

KeshinNoAkui Seventh Year

I've been toying with the idea of a Crow!Harry for a few weeks. It could be done PostHBP, and interpreted as 'the power he knows not', aka, vengance. Or something non-love related.

20. Litha Riddle

Litha Riddle Banned DLP Supporter

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but I'd really like to see an anarchist/activist Harry.

He's always getting involved in politics, but always the stereotypical politics.

I'm tired of reading stories about him being the ultimate statesman.

Litha