1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Anti-Cliche` Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

I'd love to see a super child Harry, who hasn't got any control over his magic. Whatever he thinks for a split moment, it just happens. However, the magic does only react when its an unconciuos idea, he can't really 'use' it to his advantage and can't stop it either if it decides to act up. It would make for a nice humor fic if one had enough ideas.

2. Doxkid

Doxkid Backtraced

Changing around the whole dumbledore is training harry to kill; how about the unicorns are plotting against everyone because the whole Back of the head voldemort thing? That i know has never been done before! purge the world of evil be ridding the world of humans. Harry could be in azkaban and have to live alone fighting and running from 'light' creatures the rest of his life. The idea cam from 'in the mouth of madness'. he could constantly be muttering "they coming for us. The unicorns are united against us. The phoenixes will kill you all. Only evil can be trusted;get the help of the thestrals. The acromantula will protect you if you seek their help" and get tossed in prison like the mentally unstable did decades ago.

He could even draw little crosses and stuff with his own blood on the walls so they cant get him. readers would never see it coming.

3. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I don't think I'd ever want to read that. :/

4. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

Seconded.

Anti-cliche: How about a fic where people aren't lopping off limbs using cutting charms taught in hogwarts, or blowing holes in people with reductors? Seriously, do you think that a school would teach it's pupils spells that could do that much damage? Especially one where tensions routinely run as high as they do at Hogwarts?

In a similar vein to that, it'd be a nice change to see a fic where the Unforgiveables actually deserved that name. The Cruciatus curse being the absolute worst pain that can be created, the Avada Kedavra being the most lethal curse in existence etc. I see far too many fics where xyz is described as 'hurting worse than the Cruciatus' (most typically potions to fix Harry's eyes). If that were the case people wouldn't use the Cruciatus, they'd use xyz instead.

5. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

*snort* I could just see how it would play out. Maybe like this:

"Diffindo!" Harry bellowed, waving his wand in a horizontal zig-zag, as an arc of violet light soars from his wand, and towards Draco Malfoy's right arm. When the spell made contact with his arm, the Malfoy heir looked down to examine the damage. The spell had cut right through... his sleeve, leaving his arm completely unblemished.

"And just what were you trying to accomplish with that charm, Potter? That was my favourite shirt, damnit! Now look at it! It's missing a sleeve! It's ruined! I can't even get a refund for it, because you did that on purpose!!" Malfoy screeched at the top of his lungs, jumping up and down like a pubescent schoolgirl.

"Umm, I thought that would have taken your arm off," Harry meekly explained, shuffling his feet in embarassment.

"That's not the spell you use to remove limbs, Scarhead! It's this one! Dismembra!" Malfoy yelled, deftly waving his wand in three small curves, as a disk of silver light cleaved its way through the air, making a sound similar to a circular saw, before passing through Ginny Weasley's neck, severing her head from her body.

"I've been wanting to do that for a long time," Malfoy sneered, "That little bitch has been hounding me ever since Third Year."

"Oh, please! She's wanted to get into my pants since before we ever met," Harry topped, mentally recording the name of the spell that Malfoy Jr used. "Now, where were we?"

This was just a little something that came to mind, and I thought I might share it with everyone.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  6. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I know this has been said many times before... But if I see Remus call Harry 'cub' one more fucking time I am going to have to go out and kill something.

If Harry is such a Cub then where was Remus the Dead Beat Uncle/Supposedly Dad for the first 13 years of his life? Hell where was he for any of them?

Harry needs to go out and pop a silver cap in ole wolfies ass.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

That reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons when the Dolphins take over the world.

8. Brooklynight

Brooklynight Seventh Year

Already done: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2625651/1/

Focus: I've never seen a fic in which Harry's Parseltongue ability has healing properties, hey theres a snake on the star of life, Asclepius had a snake on his staff.

9. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

That is mentioned in A Second Chance at Life by Miranda Flairgold, but only for maybe a paragraph.

I would like to see a fic where Harry's Animagus form is utterly useless. Like, in jbern's To Fight the Coming Darkness, he has Dumbledore's Animagus be a goat. I think that it would be funny to have Harry's Animagus be one of the Irakandji (sp?) jellyfish. They have the most potent venom in the world, but are the size of a fingernail and are extremely weak.

10. Alayna

Alayna Second Year

Fuegodefuerza: The one of useless animagus is done in Harry Potter and the Manipulator of Destiny from Wheezy1. (won't say what, it spoils the fun) But there are unfortunately tons of other clichees...

What about Harry sees it useless to fight against Voldemort because he is too weak and runs away? It could just show what the wizarding world is doing without their figurehead. And perhaps this is the power he has...
    The one to unite the world by disappearing

11. Fulgar

Fulgar Second Year

The zombie horror one gave me an idea, how about a story which incorporates the monsters from Doom. Now, I know thinking of an idea as to where they came from and how they came to earth would be a major headache but still. ;)

The Doom monsters could be resilient to some forms of magic and when the flying skulls take over a wizard, it would use their animagus form (every wizard has one, not all have been able to use it though, or I think thats how it works) instead of turning them into zombies. Or maybe turn them into zombies with magic powers or just make them explode from the massive invading energy from the skulls trying to overwrite the wizards DNA which in turn tears the wizard apart since their magic is trying to fight back the invading energy.

The fight scenes would probably include a one-sided massacre but all the better. :p Of course, the flying skulls would have to take over the creatures in the forest when they attack Hogwarts, turning them into magic resilient creatures with already enhanced senses and strength.

I am hoping this idea could be turned into a great story but in all honesty probably not.

12. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Alchemist Harry?

13. Fulgar

Fulgar Second Year

Done already, its a H/HG shipper and it was discontinued (at the best of my knowledge :confused: ). If you want I can send you an e-mail of the story. But it's only for those who can stomach more light-hearted material. :p

14. Cypher3au

Cypher3au First Year

I've been wondering about that for a while, too. And if I remember correctly, Remus never exactly wrote to Harry after the third book. Hell, Sirius was running for his life off in the tropics somewhere and he still managed to wrangle parrots and other birds into delivering letters for him.

Kinda makes me wonder what the hell Tonks sees in him, and why she'd be pining over the moron so badly that it'd cost her her metamorph powers.

Hmm, an original idea...

Ok, we've all seen Harry find books and relics and journals in the mouth of Slytherin's statue in the Chamber of Secrets, but has he ever found petrified people? Maybe Slytherin's little pet petrified them, and he stashed them down there to hide them or attempt to revive them before he left Hogwarts. Now, in the twentieth century, there's finally someone who'll get them out of there, and potions to revive them.

Who are they, and how do they deal with being stuck a thousand years after their own time?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  15. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

A story where Harry sees Tonks' true form and gains the power to control her or something along those lines, have it like a weakness to make up the balance for having an unlimited ability to morph into anything else.

And he lords it over her like a prick and makes her do degrading things to make his own angst ridden ass feel better. (Ha! no, I understand I would never dream of abusing my power over you. Shit Bish!)

Say what you will but all the uber nice guy fics are getting to me, and a cool twist on the 'Why I never show my true form' cliche'.... er I hope anyway.

16. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Thats a cool idea, I would read that, as long as it didn't have any of my pet peeves, that is.

and I got many.

17. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Maybe he can find a petrified Rowena Ravenclaw..but then, that would be too close to H/HG.

Or..how about Slytherin himself? He petrified himself to go in the future.

18. Verse of Darkness

Verse of Darkness Denarii Host

Harry/Rowena could work... the difference between her and Granger is that Rowena isn't well... Hermione?

19. darkinferno9908

darkinferno9908 Second Year

I'd like to see a fic where Harry and Voldermort become somewhat 'allies' yet still enemies (think Professor X and Magneto) done right. I've seen one before but it got a bit too twisted for my taste when they started &#*@*##!! *is dragged away* You don't want to hear what kinda sick twisted crap happened. But yea, I'd like to see a good one of those.

I'd also like to see a Ginny/Wormtail.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, Harry/Rowena is my favourite pairing. If you haven't read Lord Ravenclaw's Era of Hogwarts (and if you haven't then you deserve something very bad to happen to you) then read it and you'll find out why.