1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Avengers Movie

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Jeram, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I tried watching it but then her clothes started dropping and thats about the last thing I remember of the movie.
    ^This
    Scarlett is pretty but Alba has one of those faces that is just so ridiculously hot it isn't even fair.

Yes.

2. Portus

Portus Heir

Your opinion and rebuke are invalid; you need look no further than all the Squirrel Girl squeeing in this thread to see why. At least She-Hulk doesn't have a tail, pointy teeth, some fucked up eye thing going on, or hang around with what are, for all intents and purposes, cuter-than-average rats.

She-Hulk may be green (and even Kermit knows *that* ain't easy) but she doesn't make her costume from the pelts of her so-called friends.

:sherlock::colbert:

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Squirrel girl is awesome. never said anything about her being hot. In fact, I did point out she's a minor. You were fapping to a big green monster.

Ewwwwwwwwww.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

[​IMG]

Sometimes she has. :p

5. Krogan

High Score:
    Not really seeing the monster part personally.

[​IMG]

Both are her.

6. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Seeing as how the Avengers are made up of Ultimate Universe-like characters she'd look more like this.

Make sure to enjoy the FWOOMPH!

[​IMG]

and the final look

[​IMG]

7. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well, I'm disappointed by the whole rights kerfuffle between the Avengers/X-men. It would be awesome to have the Scarlet Witch in the next film.

Although, considering that Thanos will be the next opponent, Ms. Marvel would be a better fit.

8. Seratin

High Score:
    I dunno. They might end up doing the whole "Ms. Marvel gets fuckin' RAPED" storyline and suck all the fun out of movies forever.

9. redshell

redshell Order Member

Bitch, please. The rape scene is all but shown in Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and that movie managed to still be awesome.

10. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

So there was a link to this thing on the relationship between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner on reddit before. I'm honestly pretty surprised at the depth here and - well, just read it for yourself. Pretty interesting stuff.

Major spoilers, of course.

There are no words to describe my feelings about this relationship. But I’m going to try.

First of all, their parallels. Both geniuses, top of their field. Both suffered an accident that physically changed them, forever, and not in a wholesome Spider-Man kind of way. Both try to do what they can to help others despite their own issues; Banner heals people, Tony works on developing clean energy. And both struggle, in their own way, with duality; Tony and Iron Man, Bruce and the Hulk. Two identities, one body. Only difference is Iron Man’s bad side is Tony.

I mentioned somewhere that Tony sees a bit of himself in Banner because they both have a monster inside them that they can’t control, a creature that springs fully formed from the id, the base impulses and the nasty stuff at the back of the mind. Bruce’s is a giant green rage monster. Tony’s trashed a party in Iron Man 2. Banner has a control over his that Tony hasn’t quite achieved yet; don’t think I didn’t notice Tony pouring himself a whiskey when confronting Loki. Tony is envious, fascinated, and most of all, impressed by Bruce’s control.

So he doesn’t walk on eggshells around Bruce like the others, because that’s not what Bruce needs. Tony sees Bruce’s restraint, sees the quiet, brilliant man making self-deprecating jokes in the corner of the room, sees the way people look at him like he’s going to snap any second, and thinks “nope”. Tony does what no-one else aboard that Helicarrier does. He trusts him. He makes jokes and jabs him and teases him and above all, treats him exactly how he would treat anyone else— he has a great regard for Bruce’s brilliance, and tells him so, but he doesn’t try to ignore the Hulk in the room. When he says “wow, you’ve really got a handle on this, haven’t you?” he’s not saying “gosh, it’s incredible you haven’t snapped yet and killed everyone on board” he’s saying “I know you have a handle on this, you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t, so I’m gonna poke you with this sharp object to prove it”. And you can see Bruce relax, and smile, and trust him back.

But then Tony goes even further, and invites Bruce to come to his R&D department. I’m pretty sure the two of them drive off together in Tony’s car at the end of the movie to do just that. And, okay, sure, Bruce is smart, but Tony’s tech is his baby. How many people get invitations to come and see his work? He invites Bruce because he recognises his brilliance, yes, but there’s another reason. He’s inviting Bruce to come down and work with him after this is over. He’s giving Bruce something to do next, a purpose, an alternative to disappearing into the ether to be alone with his monster. Tony knows from experience that being alone with your issues doesn’t end well, so for what’s only the third time in his life he extends the hand of friendship to a guy he’s known barely an hour.

And then, he tells Bruce to let the beast loose. Not just because they need him to fight, but because it will help him. If Bruce can take this thing that he sees as a curse and turn it into a gift, well, that’s going to lift him out of a very dark place. I’m not saying Tony knew about Bruce’s attempted suicide, but I think he had a suspicion that Bruce had been, in his words, “low”. So he encourages Bruce to take all that crap and pain and the Other Guy and use him to help people; after all, that’s what he did.

And it pays off. Nobody— nobody— thinks Bruce is going to turn up for that final battle. You can see the look on Natasha and Steve’s faces when Tony asks if Bruce turned up yet. They’ve counted Bruce out. Guy’s a mess, right? He’s too volatile. Doesn’t play well with others. He could never work as part of a team. No-one thinks he’ll come through when it matters. Except Tony. He has faith in him, and that faith is rewarded. It’s no wonder the Hulk is the one to catch Tony. Tony’s the one who helped let him out. He’s just returning the favor.

Link to original.

Joss Whedon is awesome. He better be directing the next Avengers, because I don't think anyone else could do anywhere near as good a job.

11. redshell

redshell Order Member

I guess Tony took that "Be A Better Bro" course after all.

12. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pfft. I watched the Swedish version of the movie, where it is shown. Movie was still good.

Probably bears mentioning that the Ms. Marvel rape plot was several different levels of fucked up though. For starters the guy who brainwashed and raped her was some sort of trans-dimensional being who came to Earth by impregnating her, being born, and then rapidly aging to adulthood. Oh, and all the other Avengers just stood by and let him do it, despite the fact that anyone with a bit of common sense should have been able to tell that Ms. Marvel was under mind control.

So yeah ... don't think that story's showing up on the silver screen.

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

From what I heard she and Quicksilver can legally appear in both franchises.

14. Krogan

High Score:
    I'm not an expert of Marvel but as I recall wasnt it her own son to boot who raped her?

15. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Kinda-sorta; like I said, it was more that some sort of being from some other dimension somehow impregnated her with itself, then after being born and rapidly reaching adulthood, made with the rape and mind control. Which actually add another level of wrong to it all; since forced impregnation is pretty arguably in the territory of rape, one could say that she got raped, then her rape-baby grew and raped her. (What the fuck, Marvel?)

Admittedly, this all based on things I vaguely recall hearing from a friend who's big on comics and what I could confirm with a quick google search, so I might not have everything right.

16. Seratin

High Score:
    Wolverine wouldn't let his rape baby rape him. Just sayin'.

17. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Hulk probably wouldn't either.

18. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Explains the whole Ms. Marvel rape baby bullshit in detail. Guy knows what he's talking about.

Parts One and Two

He does take his 'COMICS ARE WEIRD' thing too far, but breaks down the whole thing.

Just bought Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon season 1 on Amazon Friday. Worth the money.

19. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

So I just saw it again today. Was just as good (if not better) the second time. I noticed a lot of details I missed the first time (due in no small part to the fucking audience from hell present in my first viewing) like the thing with Coulson (spelling?) and the cellist from Portland or whatever - small, interesting things like that.

I did notice one thing though - how the hell was Captain America communicating with the rest of the team in the final battle? There were several occasions where he seemed to be having conversations with other team members but as far I could tell he wasn't wearing a radio headset or anything after his mask fell off. Just seemed really weird.

20. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Same way Black Widow was; ear piece