1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Best Laid Plans, by arun2110 - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Kthr, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Title:The Best Laid Plans
    Author: arun2110
    Rating: M
    Pairing: Naruto/??
    Chapters: 32
    Words: 167,136
    Updated: March 25, 2012
    Published: January 26, 2008
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4034451/1/The_Best_Laid_Plans

Summary: Madara had a plan. The Yondaime ruined it. Madara made another plan. One that could not fail. But the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry and this one had just run straight into the number one most surprising ninja in Konoha, one Uzumaki Naruto.

This fic features how team 7 would grow if Kakashi trained them as he would a ANBU team(his words) while the world gets fucked up outside konoha. You can expect some cool backstabbing, a war breaking against tea country and orochimaru getting his ass handed to him.

Theres no silly "oh woe is me" from sasuke like so many fics, and the author succeeded in making him develop as a person while in team 7.

The POW changes around a bit, as the focus change from Sarutobi getting konoha ready for invasion, team 7 training and stuff and several other operations and shinobi involved in the war. Not to mention the higher up ninja using their brains go get intel and dealing with spies.

All in all, this fic was a 4/5 for me

Checked: June 11, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  2. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Third Year

I liked it, but if I remember right some of the things that happen are over the top.

But it is overall a good read, definitely something that you should give a look.
    4/5

3. liath

liath Seventh Year

I love it. The last two chapters, dealing with Sand and the Two-Tails, was very cool. Rather epic.

4. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Yea, but it is stated that team 7 is the usual kick ass teams of Konoha. I dont know about cannon, but in this story that team was the one that trained the 4th, and the sannin. Not to mention, after 3 years of ANBU training and having the 9-tails it makes sense that Naruto was able to use all those high-level jutsu.

And yea, the battle with the battle against the two tails.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Loved it. The characterisation of team 7 was awesome and I've been especially impressed by Sasuke's character. For one I don't hate him.

Also, Naruto's secondary chakra element makes thrown Rasengans the best move in the history of ever. It's even better because I can imagine this when I read it :D.

6. asa

asa First Year

The start of this really couldn't interest me. But as people have commented, the last few chapters have become quite good. Hope he/she can keep it up.

3.5/5 for now.

7. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well this thread hasn't been used in awhile. Best Laid Plans has been updated and has gotten to be badass as all hell. The war is still going on and Team 7 is still kicking ass all over the place.

In the last few updates after Akatsuki wipes out a city that is under Konoha and Land of Fire control Kakashi orders that Kusa be wiped out as well. I didn't really like the way Naruto did it with the nuke like seal thing, but it was original for Naruto and better than him just going all Kyuubi on them.

The latest chapter deals with the aftermath of that.

So yea the story is still on going and in the last few months has been going strong with regular updates. I don't want to recap too much because I'm not sure exactly when this thread ended in the story.

8. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Just got done reading most of the story. I don't like Sasuke's new character. It seems like there's barely a shade of his original character and he often seems like a smarter version of Naruto.

I don't see how one day they're threatening to raze the Wind capital to the ground, mutilate all the men, and enslave all the women and the next day they're complaining about attacking civilians.

I'd say it's a 4/5.

9. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

They were threatening the Wind Capital, sure, but they knew that the Wind Daimyo would back down. If he didn't, they would gone through with their threat, but it's not like they'd enjoy it. Hell, it's been said that they don't condone the slaughter of innocent civilians. The complaints about attacking civilians was justified because they weren't forced to attack a few civilians, they were being to forced to level a city with maximum civilian causalities.

10. ShadowStorm666

ShadowStorm666 Muggle

Really didn't like what the author did in the last chapter

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  11. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Perosnally I'm not fond of the actions taken either...

However, I actually find it to be fairly realistic. When faced with either the complete destruction of Konoha and Fire Country, the rape and pillage of her lands and citizens.. or visiting destruction upon a country whom betrayed them and would willingly abandon them to that same fate..

I can see why the decision would be made by a Shinobi Village facing war on 3.. or is it 4 fronts?

You have to remember. As terrible as it was, as horrible and vicious and wicked as it was... Hiroshima and Nagasaki caused the immediate surrender of Japan, giving the Allies a much-needed relief on more than one front. It could even be argued that without that action, as detestable as it was and is The War could have ended very differently indeed.

12. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah it is more or less realistic... It is is the principle of MAD.. only that here they have to show that they have them and are willing to use them.

And Naruto and Co were raised as "real" ninja in this fic.. so they a much higher tendency to follow questionable orders than in the manga.

Not really .. Japan had already lost the war.. it was just a matter of time. The only thing that would have changed would have been the casualties on both sides.. because the Japanese would have defended their homeland with nearly religious zeal.
    On the other hand you have to remember that (nearly) nobody did know what the effects were and how horrible those bombs are.

13. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

As much as I don't think this is the place to get into an argument about the nature of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki...

They totally did. People died during the Manhattan project as a result of the shit they were dealing with and they tested the Bomb at Los Alamos before Japan. They knew what they were doing, what it meant. They did it anyway because the alternative would have been a prolonged and bloody war on both sides.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Plus the Soviets were planning an invasion of the Japanese home islands. If they hadn't been taken out of the fight quickly, the US would have lost its chance to have a technologically advanced ally on the other side of the ocean. As well as that, since the Axis was all but doomed at that point, the beginnings of the Cold War were beginning to form; the US and the Soviets wanted as much of an advantage over the other as was possible for a potentially much larger war (codenamed Operation Unthinkable).

15. The Black

The Black First Year

Updated , didn't read tough....

16. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Read the update, I was a bit confused at first, since it seemed I had read big chunks of it before. Turns out it was a fixed up version of the last chapter, which sounds annoying, but enough was changed, including some new scenes, to make it fun to read.

17. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I liked the chapter. Though the story is close to wrapping up and looks like Itachi gets one more chance to be the biggest bad ass to walk the ninja world.

18. ketz3r

ketz3r Second Year

Update
    Pretty underwhelming, unfortunately.

19. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Updated. Author says there's only one or two more chapters left to go.

Really didn't like it. Naruto's speech felt preachy as all hell, and Itachi's scene felt contrived as well. I refuse to believe it would be that easy.

The author does acknowledge that it isn't proof read, and that they feel contrived to him as well, but I'm still disappointed with it. This was an old favorite of mine, but the last few chapters really didn't feel natural at all. I get the feeling that he was more trying to just do a scene he'd envisioned a while back instead of getting it to rise naturally.

20. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

I'm really angry with this update and the impending ninja messiah Naruto.

I preferred when this story was about child soldiers and professional killers and Kakashi whipping Team 7 into a death squad.

Just... disappointed.