1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Birth of Evil by DisobedienceWriter - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Palver, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

So that's what SIYE is.........I think I'll go and get a start on my drinking now.....

2. Garret P.I.

Garret P.I. Backtraced

Meh,

Too much telling, not enough showing.

Equal parts good and bad as far as I'm concerned. A decent fic but not exceptional.

2.5 to 3 out of 5

3. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

An overly-powered, invincible Harry that can make no bloody mistakes whatsoever in everything he does? No fucking thanks.

1/5

4. High Lord Petrakon III

High Lord Petrakon III Squib

Whoa. awesome read.

5. runghen23

runghen23 Squib

It was a good summary but could have been a great story. It has been shortened too much and few of the juicy bits are given. With proper development of the storyline this could become one of the best manipulative Harry story out there

6. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

It's pretty good, but for a story called "The Birth of Evil," it is distinctly lacking in evil.

7. 007_rock

007_rock DA Member

A nice light read which made me finish it in one sitting, but the ease with which Harry was able to do whatever he wanted irked to no end. Even if he was supremely powerful its just impossible to carry on without atleast a few major setbacks...

And how a mere first year was able to control to adult wizards (including the Occlumency "master" Snape?????) is just bullshit.

He was able to change the parchment from goblet without slightest effort... You mean all other people who waited for results was just plain stupid???? Anyone of the Slytherins could have easily become champion if it was so easy...

I am not even going to go into how stupid it is when a fifth year student holds a secret meeting to discuss the fate of governments in a lot of countries with ideas of improvement of politics..... Who in their right mind would give a damn to a mere kid???? It would have been a bit more believable if he was atleast a Tri-wizard champion, but......

All in all not very good, but as it is a one-shot, it gets a bit of a leeway.....
    2/5

8. PapaMidNite56

PapaMidNite56 Second Year DLP Supporter

This was a good manipulative!Harry story. I usually like all of DW's works, but the fact remains that it was way too easy.

3/5

9. Tseeteli

Tseeteli Muggle

High Score:
    The writing was good. I got through the story quickly.

But I agree with the people who said there was no conflict. Harry just sort of won. And he won after finding an absolutely overwhelming number of advantages.

I like stories that introduce new or clever twists on existing ideas. Stuff that will stuck with me when I think back on the piece. Unfortunately, I don't know that this had the 'wow' or 'weird' factor that makes some stories really memorable.

3.5/5 for me.

10. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Bruh... It's been 9 years. 9 years. Holy necro.

Anyways, since I'm here, might as well drop a review along the way.

I'd read this story some time ago and totally forgot about it. At the time I was unimpressed, and I still am. DisobedienceWriter's talent is that he has great creativity. However, his creativity isn't enough to make a story engaging and actually enjoyable on its own, especially when the story is rife with errors like this one.

The characterization was absolutely ridiculous. A staple of his stories is super!Harry curb-stomping all the other wizards while outwitting them at every turn. When it gets down to it, Harry doesn't outsmart everyone because he's a genius or preternaturally intellectual. He's capable of outsmarting the others because they're retards, plain and simple.

DisobedienceWriter nerfs everyone else's intelligence so Harry can seem better. He's incapable of characterizing everyone in an engaging and meaningful way. In so doing, the characters are reduced to caricatures that aren't recognizable. Case in point is Dumbledore. Dumbledore's become an asinine, senile old bastard here. That isn't well done characterization. It's the epitome of juvenile, puerile writing.

Then there's the writing itself. It wasn't anything special. DisobedienceWriter has a good grasp of the English language. His mechanics are acceptable on a technical level. But... that's all there is to it. Take it away and what do you have? Nothing special, that's what. This story is riddled with basic grammatical errors that just become increasingly annoying each time they occur.

And then there's the crux of the issue. Harry Potter won because there was no opposition. There's nothing to hook the reader here. There was no conflict. There was no drama. There was no suspense. Harry won simply because everyone else lacked the brain cells necessary to oppose him. That was not entertaining.

2/5. It's a typical example of the trends in 2008 fanfiction: puerile, amateurish writing.