1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Brony International Guard by psychicscubadiver -K+- My Little Pony:FiM

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by TMNTurtwig, Mar 16, 2012.

1. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Title: The Brony International Guard
    Author: psychicscubadiver
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Humour
    Fandom: My Little Pony
    Pairings: None
    Summary: Twilight is an intelligent mare, and always has something to say. But when a group of bizarre creatures shows up at her library offering life long service and devotion, for once she's at a loss for words.
    Link: The Brony International Guard (ffn)

Written by psychicscubadiver after he finished Dresden Filies: Strange Friends. It's a funny oneshot where bronies unite and crossover into Equestria. Ponies are kept in character and the humans are interesting. There's a few shout outs to real life bronies. Overall, it's a well written story that made me chuckle; an easy 4/5.

2. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

Read this about a week ago. It's alright. The writing's good... yeah. That's about it. There's nothing really special about it, nothing stands out. I didn't find myself interested, or laughing or anything really. It's a good fic, but not library worthy.

A very meh 3/5.

3. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I read it as soon as the author uploaded it. It's poor at best. Compared to their other fanfic, this is a piece of shit.

2/5.

4. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Really? You all think so? I must have a really low quality standard for MLP then. This'll teach me not to recommend stories in fandoms I don't know.

5. redshell

redshell Order Member

It was... alright. Bland. The story got a few wry grins out of me, and a chuckle here or there, but that was it. Technically, it's sound. No grammatical or spelling issues.

There wasn't much of a story, but that's a moot point with a oneshot, and in my opinion this one told a much better story than most oneshots.

Onto the humor, which was supposed to be the central thing in this fic. In a word, it was forced. The jokes were dry, and addressed a part of the fandom that everybody already knew about and everybody already got their chuckles out of. Yes, we like Derpy because she's the ultimate optimist, the sort of person who gets knocked down and won't stop getting up. Yes, we like Fluttershy because she's so shy and afraid to disappoint her friends. Every single joke made in the fic had already been made, so every single joke was old.

The joke with the acronym was stupid. It stank of the author feeling especially uncreative so he went with the obvious and made a joke about how humans are bigger than ponies. How droll. The "reaction fifteen" joke quickly became old. It was a headscratching anecdote that became a central part of the humor, and the humor was lost to the reader.

All of the ponies were in-character, yes, but none of them were really given time to shine, thus essentially relegating them to Applejack duty. To explain, it's just like what Chengar said in the MLP thread. Applejack is the down-to-earth and most level-headed pony, so she fades into the background compared to how neurotic the others are.

The humans took center stage in this fic, or at least that's how it appeared to me, and it showed. A fic about My Little Pony should be about My Little Pony, not the fandom.

2.5/5, rounded up to 3 for the sake of being different.