1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Codex Alera

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by LogrusMage, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Question. I bought the first book and I started reading the prologue. The first page of the prologue starts on page 2, then page 3 has nothing printed on it (totally blank) and page 4 starts chapter 1. I called Barnes and Noble and asked about returning it and the employee looked and said that all the copies were like that. Is book supposed to be like that or did B&N get a bad batch?

The end of page 2 is Tavi being kissed by some girl and agreeing to do something, then blank page, then chapter 1. Just wondering, cause I can't start reading the book unless I am sure that's how it's supposed to be.

2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

He's being sweet-talked into doing something by the holt slut. It'll make sense as of Chapter 3.

3. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Book 4 was by far the best in my opinion. They get better by the book. Book 1 was a chore but good. Book 2 was better and smoother. Book 3 was great and easy to read. Book 4 was beyond great.

4. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I just devoured the first 3 books today. Fourth I'm three quarters done with...

Book 1: Meh.

I liked Tavi best in this one though. The succeeding installments, with the two years gap between each, just disconnects me from him too much. It feels like I'm missing out on all the things that made him grow. I guess I was expecting a bildungsroman, or something.

Book 2: Good.
    Book 3: Great.
    Book 4: Eh. So far, I'm not caring for it as much. The Vord were more interesting in book two, and in book three, there was still some mystery. Now, it's all just one action scene after another.

And the fact that it's finally confirmed that Tavi has a
    soulbond with Kitai
    really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I mean, it's not doing anything obtrusive... but the fact that it's there...

It's not like it was even needed. Since the beginning, it's been obvious who Tavi will end up with and marry.

My thoughts on Kitai:

She's no Ginny, but, she's a horrendous mary-sue.

1. Marat, by nature, do not lie. Therefore, Kitai, cannot lie (this is big, I think. It means Kitai won't hide her feelings under any circumstances, won't try to protect or comfort Tavi from things he needs to know... it rends any possible conflict that could erupt in their relationship).
    2. Strong, skilled
    3. Beautiful.
    4. Nymph, shameless
    5. Attracted and attached to Tavi
    soulbound
    7. Strong willed, mostly confident
    8. Loving
    9. Accepting of Alerans, in general, and curious to pursue them – to understand them.
    10. Humorous

...the list goes on. I can't come up with a flaw other than, "She cut her hair." (if I had a hot barbarian girlfriend I would never allow her to cut her hair military-style goddam it).

As a character, I can tolerate, and even like, her though. It's probably because Butch only has her talk when it's absoultely necessary, which isn't how Mary-Sues tend to behave.

But it's still a weak point in this series. I hope something changes... I know it was for a power boost, but it still feels wrong; unprofessional, almost. Tavi should have had a choice in the matter, atleast.

I mean, when he saved her, it just felt forced. He was halfway up the rope, she was half-dead. In his situation, I would never think of jumping down and feeding her a mushroom (that could accomplish nothing), bravery aside. It just doesn't seem logical.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  5. Anlun

Anlun Denarii Host

I felt similar only I liked book 2 more than 3, though 3 was badass as well. The fourth seemed to have too much action, and too little mystery and plot. Don't want to make too many comments so as not to ruin it, but I would of liked to see a bit more involvement in the secondary characters. I would liked to know more about Max's life, and I'm one of the few who enjoy the politics in the books, which the last one seemed to lack. I think the next one will be a lot better, since it will be in a new land, and new culture but we'll see. Still a great series.

6. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

That isnt the purpose behind the bond. Butcher used this bond to help Tavi. Its not the love part. Without it they would probably never have meet again. Tavi needed to soul bond to even have a chance at some of the things he has done. He gained additional strength and sped from the bond.

7. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    I hate Butcher, he writes too slow.
    -__-

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Lol. I agree and disagree. The rate at which he turns out books is phenomenal... but not fast enough for me. I want moar! XD

9. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Kitai is not a Mary Sue. At all. You just need a demonstration of the power of a High Lord. You'll get it in Captain's Fury.

Both Tavi and Kitai's 'powers' are a blip on the radar. They're both clever and resourceful, but they couldn't take down a powerful crafter without some serious planning time. Think of them as Batmam/woman in a land filled with Supermen/women.

As well, Kitai simply does not attempt to do things she can't do. She doesn't try to understand the Aleran political scene, she just follows Tavi's lead.

To compare Kitai, whose prowess and skill was built up across the books and who has seen some real development, to Ginny in ANY way is ludicrous.

10. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Once more, for Chime:

The SOULBOND HURR thing pisses me off more and more every time I hear it. You've been digging through the ocean of shit that is HP fanfic so long that you cry soulbond at the slightest provocation.

At the beginning, it was obvious that Tavi would end up with and marry Amara. Later on, it was obvious that Kitai was a dude. Wind back on the dramatics before I find a way to telepathically punch you in the balls.

11. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    A-motherfuckin-greed.

TBH, I like Kitai more than any of the other characters, excluding Tavi.

I would not be bothered at all if they married.

Tavi/Kitai 4eva!!!

12. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

You know, at first I couldn't tell why you were getting so worked up.

Now I'm wondering why you haven't found found these people and cut their testicles off yet.

Can't wait for the next book. Will start Dresden (my book store finally got the first one) sometime this week.

13. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Read all four during my net downtime, great series, but he uses the same phrases too-damn-much.

How many times can you use the phrase "almost contemptuously" when referring to sword play before it gets old? Maybe it's just because I went through the four books in such a low amount of time, but come on! By the end of the fourth I could tell you when the thing was going to be used before I read it.

Besides that, very good series.

Also, Butcher needs some new plot devices. Katai came out of the woodwork four times in the third and fourth book, and said this same line "Aleran, I need to show you something"/"Aleran, you need to see this". Twice in each book. I know it was needed to flesh out the story, but repitition makes for a dull series.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  14. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

The Prolouge and first 2 chapters are up at butchers site for the next book.

15. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

16. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Wow, I started to read this yesterday at work and damn, it's good. Makes me smile all the time

"Tavi furrowed his brow. “We don’t have much time for explanations. How much do you know about Aleran politics?”

“I know that you people are all insane,” Kitai said."

17. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

I dunno. I still can't force my way through the first one. I've tried 3 times and I get up to where Tavi and whats-her-name (Amara?) are stuck in the King's bunker or whatever during the storm. For some reason I can never get past that. It just feels like it's moving along so slowly.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Trust me, you emo faggot, get past the first half of book one, and you'll love the series.

19. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^ This.

^ That.

^ See above.

20. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Fucking shit. Picked the first one up earlier yesterday after I finally decided to give it a try, and I only have one thought.

Why the fuck did I wait so long? I haven't been that engaged in a book since I started reading the Dresden Files.