1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The DA Missions by Nonjon - M

Discussion in 'Humor' started by Raijin, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why don't you just merge the other post with this one?

And, for the first time, I feel the need to say that I wasn't amazed by this one. It had a bit of humor sure, but I was sadly disappointed by the lack of real... humor to it. I found it rather predictable, vague and just not as funny or engaging as your other work has been.

It just seemed bland. 3/5.

Edit: I actually preferred the separate threads. This one rates a 3/5, the other ones rate 5/5. I read them again before I read this one.

2. Janus

Janus Groundskeeper

Wait, Miss Print went up yesterday? >> Indeed...

Anyway, 5/5 here. Nonjon's one of the few authors that can actually make me laugh, and the DA Missions have been just surreal enough for me to really enjoy them.

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

There's really not enough comments to justify making separate threads for each of these closely related one-shots. And by one thread for all of them, it's more on topic to compare one DA Mission to another. But feel free to adjust your rating (if you rated this thread 5/5 before, average it to a 4/5 now).

And yeah. Fic ideas frequently evolve and the story I'm writing always ends up different from where it was originally planned, but this one went further than usual.

It sprung because of an idea about Tom Riddle supposedly starting a GLBT support group at Hogwarts. Then it became the concept of mocking and ridiculing Tom Riddle, while never mentioning any connection to Voldemort. After all, it's not like Voldemort's going to want to admit to the connection. Then it almost turned into a Tom Riddle jokefest, where instead of (the anti-)Chuck Norris or Your Mama jokes, it's Tom Riddle.

Then came BajaB's brilliant idea to make it about destroying the Daily Prophet and I had a plot-wrapper for a DA Mission.

Personally, I'm not sure if I like any of the three DA Missions more than the others. And it seems like there's not a consensus on which one's liked most. But I'm not all that bothered by comments that this one is predictable. Of course, I'd prefer it to be original and surprising, but at this point you should have a rough idea of what a DA Mission is going to consist of and allusions to how the DA works.

Plus, I think my humor works best when its spontaneous, whereas this one was nearly 'over-thought' to the point that I can't tell what's funny. (Those 75 minute commutes each way and only a little free time to write meant this was in process for a month and mused on almost as much as a novel-length.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  4. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The ending was probably the best part.

5. Jeez us

Jeez us First Year

Thought it was alright, definitely worth the read at least. 3/5

Do you have any plans for any more full length fics in the future, Nonjon?

6. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I liked it, however as others have said it wasn't as funny as your other installments. The Tom Riddle jokes were funny, however I felt that they took too much room up, just a couple would have been fine in my opinion. Overall I'd give this particular oneshot a 3.5/5. That's mostly due to the fact that I found the ending to be on par with your other stories in this series (I use that loosely).

Oh and I found this scentence
    to be very confusing until I read the rest of it. Not sure if that was intended or not but I figured I'd throw it out there.