1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Da Vinci Code

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cupspeaker, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Cupspeaker

Cupspeaker Looked into the void

I watched The Da Vinci Code last night, and I thought it was pretty boring. I was hoping for a thriller movie but what I got was some religious freak show. Er... Research film, yea thats it.

I was wondering what you guys thought of the movie, and the book.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I think its a Dumbledore'd version of a weird tale.

Meaning: I think(know) the book is a fictional tale based on truth.

3. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Book was wonderful in my opinion it gave you everything you wanted action,puzzles,mystery,wrongfully accused people,fanatical christians..etc.
    And in all it's glory fictatious though it is increases my hate for organized religion. By removing the shroud and opening peoples eyes to the corruption in the church.I'd say supposed corruption but with a joint power as big as the Catholic church corruption goes with out saying but funny enough it is never pointed out..except with there priests who fondle the choir boys but even that is swept under the carpet. For a fictitous view of the Catholic churches corruption watch Godfather part 3 or for a documented case

http://www.onlinejournal.com/TheocracyAlert/html/092705seesholtz.html

Monetary corruption:http://www.arcticbeacon.com/16-Feb-2006.html

For all its hype I belive it is 1 step forward for the rational scientific community because it opens up the average mind to the possibility that a religion is not the only answer to every question

instead of
    Kid:"where did the earth come from?"
    Dad:"God made it,now get the strap for questioning the bible"
    Its

Kid:"Where did the earth come from?"
    Dad:"Well,son It's possible and likely that the earth formed from the Big bang millions of years ago,now get the strap for bothering me "

RANT OVER

4. Cupspeaker

The book had a very anti-climatic ending - love story.

The movie had action, puzzles and mystery but it simply was not thrilling because I kept losing interest. Thus in my world it isnt a thriller.

A thriller is something that keeps you on the edge of your seat and your heart racing. The Da Vinci Code movie was simply a waste of ten dollars in that aspect. I wish I could rewind time and tell my past self not to watch it, because every time I think of that movie I think of how much I want to beat the hell out of the director. (And get a refund)

I assume that there must be a lot of catholics who think this movie is evil, and cult like? Or would I be wrong?

5. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Have you even read the book? Read the book if you want a thriller?

The movie isn't terrible, but it just doesn't give the same feeling the book did.

6. Cupspeaker

The book was good, but I just did not like the ending. Notice I bashed the director of the movie, not the author. And the book wasnt that good, it was average. I dont understand all the hype about it.

7. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Book was interesting...

I won't say good, but it WAS a page turner.

Movie... I haven't seen it yet. Based off of what my friends say I was wise to keep my 8 bucks.

8. Cupspeaker

8 bucks? You americans are lucky! But yeah, if you havent watched the movie dont watch it. Read the book instead.

9. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Are you joking? 8 is a recent, annoying spike.

10. Cupspeaker

In canada it is ten dollars. Plus enormous amounts of tax. Move to Canada if you feel like you arent paying enough tax in good cheap ole USA...

Ahem. Getting back on topic. What did you think of that scary dude who tortured himself in the movie? That part was pretty cool.

The movie does have its good points. ( I am trying to delude myself to think that I didnt waste ten bucks...)

1. machosist guy who was awesome at sneaking into the old dudes mansion
    2. teacher tricks - he sneaked the 2 people out of the airplane
    - he got his butler to pose as teacher
    - poisoning the butler, and setting up the deaths of the bishop and the machosist guy
    3. the da vinci puzzle was good with the vinegar that would destroy the message. That was the only puzzle worth shit.

Thats about it I suppose.

11. CGB

CGB Auror

I think the movie wasn't as good as the book, but it wasn't that bad either. It was certainly not the best movie out there, but I don't think I wasted my money.

12. Cupspeaker

Good for you, CGB.

Now that I think about the movie, it did have an intriguing concept: The portrait that looked like a vagina. What was it? When Jesus and his homeboys were having a buffet, and his wife was next to him, making a big ole V...

13. Dark Lord Rostam

It was a womb. Or in symbolic terms, a chalice, the symbol for a woman. It showed how the Holy Grail" can mean San Greal or Holy Blood. Mary Magdalene was descended from a Noble Blood, hence, Holy Grail. Her chalice held, the Holy Blood.

Are you SURE you read the book?

14. Cupspeaker

I skimmed through the book roughly because I was going to be watching the movie anyways.

I read the interesting action scenes. In the movie it also explained the womb part. I am just saying it is interesting.

15. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

16. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

I saw the movie and I think its pretty good. Recognise my avatar? Silas is cool in a creepy way.

17. Shade Emrys

Shade Emrys Third Year

The book is ok. I don't see what all the hype is about this book. I thought Angels and Demons was a lot better. I loved the ending of A&D the last few paragraphs are awe inspiring. I have never read a book, short story, or any piece of fanfiction with a better ending than this book. It is all about those last few lines.

18. Dark Lord Rostam

^ I totally agree.

"You've never been to bed with a yoga master, have you?"

19. Random Guy

Random Guy Raptured to Hell

It was an excellent book but the romance in the end killed the ending for me.

20. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

AaD was much better. But a lot of people i have spoken to about the Da Vinci code seem to miss the point in Langdon taking Sophie around England, and some religious guy whined on about how absurd it was for Jesus' be be laid to rest in Scotland. The journey was supposed to reunite Sophie with her family, not lead her to where Jesus was buried....

Bloody Kaka. Croatia were looking pretty good.