1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Double Agent by bourkem - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Palver, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Title: The Double Agent
    Author: bourkem
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Suspense
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Words: 15,354
    Updated: July 28, 2009
    Published: May 31, 2009

Summary: A Harry Potter Oneshot. Follow Harry's journey through the war with Lord Voldemort, and watch as he does everything necessary to ensure the survival of his family. Non-BWL Harry! BigBrotherHarry! Rated M to be safe.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5102870/1/The_Double_Agent

Nice oneshot about double agent Harry, with good quality writing. Dumbledore stayed in DH character for me.

4/5

Checked by Minion, June 20, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's basically Itachi!Harry, even down to the forehead poke and whisper in the ear when he dies. He even makes a crack about pulling out eyes for God's sake!

Still, it's a good fic and deserves a 3-4/5.

3. Archer

Archer Fourth Year DLP Supporter

You forgot the part where he is sick and throwing up blood. Y'know, like Itachi was. But yeah, still pretty good. 3/5.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  4. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

The story was good, it would have been more interesting if it was an actual story. With long chapters and everything. So we can see Harry`s development.

4/5.

5. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Decent story. I'm not familiar with Itachi but with a title of "The Double Agent" there's not really much surprise. Not sure what the point of the half dozen or so paragraphs at the start (above the title and author info) when they're repeated barely a quarter of the way in. It'd make some sense if they were repeated near the end or climax, but it's not a scene that really captures the interest or draws you in. Particularly compared to the start with the courtroom.

A few things bugged me. The name Damien and "Damy" is a pretty crappy one. Having everyone watch Susan lose her virginity is just creepy. And the lack of surprises or twists a reader can't see coming a mile away is a little disappointing. But overall, a decent idea carried to conclusion and written far better than most. Grammar, spelling, and style were all handled well.

It doesn't really feel like a 4/5 story to me, but it's better than a 3/5, so I'm rounding up and rating it 4/5.

6. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

"It's not rape, but you still have to have forced sex" wtf?

Apart from this this was a pretty good story, but I would have much preferred it as a multi-chapter fic.

7. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Like nonjon, the name 'Damy' really irked me, it just looks; and sounds wrong wrong when reading the story.

The story matter, like others have said would be very good for a multichapter story, but it had a pretty decent length for a one shot. The whole Itachi!Harry was completely ripped from Naruto, but to my knowledge this is one of the only HP stories where the premise has been used. So it's actually quite refreshing.

I don't particularly like the illness that is killing Harry; Itachi in Naruto is going blind/dieing from using specific powers. In this all we know is that he's dieing, which is one of the reason he's going on the mission in the first place, one that he started when he was eight, so I guess that implies that he knew he was dieing since he was eight.

The spelling, grammar and flow were all pretty good. I hope the author writes some more work; either Naruto or HP since I'm a fan of both.

8. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

The spelling was sometimes a bit iffy and got on my nerves a little;
    steal->steel?
    On the other hand, the Damy->Damien, wasn't really an issue for me.
    Some things weren't explained as well as I would have liked, but it was tolerable as a one shot, though probably would have done better with some additional fleshing out. 4/5

9. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

I thought Damien is that kid in The Omen? 3/5 for transplantation of a Naruto idea to Harry Potter and competency in writing.

10. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I liked it, but it doesn't read like Library-worthy material. We've voted out better stuff than this. The author took too many shortcuts on their writing and didn't even try to make an original plotline?(I guess the word would be? Stealing plots from Naruto is an insta!fail tactic. It doesn't work) Kinda disappointing because this fic could have been good with somewhat new ideas. The execution was just bad.

3/5

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  11. Matian

Matian Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Pretty good one-shot. I'm not familiar with Itachi, so that might be why I liked this story so much and didn't think it was a total rip-off?

Anyway, solid writing and a good dramatic plot. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

4/5. Probably would have gotten more if it hadn't been a one-shot.

12. sincostan

Yes, both the idea is unoriginal, and the execution is cursory at best. There are way too many holes and the "plot" is a big flashback narrated by Dumbledore.

13. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I liked this fic. Go Itachi like Harry 4/5 from me

14. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well, I sort of liked it. I'm not at all familiar with Naruto, so thats probably why. At frist I thought it was from the Stranger Trilogy, it had the younger sister Rose and super dark Harry so it made sense.

Right?

4/5

15. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

As stated above, The author has a good or at least readable writing style. No spelling mistakes, no noticeable grammar slip-ups, make it a good read.

I basically have two problems with it. The first is that it has several scenes which are obviously influenced by anime and are actually more suited towards fiction in that category. The forehead flicking being the most obvious.

The second glitch and personally to me, the more important one, is the plot idea of Harry taking the dark mark. Although it was never specifically mentioned, I think it was implied he took it. Although the whole idea of a double agent may work in most war fics, I really don't see it working in the HP world, mainly because of the dark mark. I imagine that was what made Snape's position so unique in canon, he was the quintessential spy <_<. There were no other leaks as no one willingly took the mark. In fact I imagine Snape enjoyed being a death eater, enjoyed causing pain, and turned to the light side only because of his Lily-obsession.

Again personally, I feel all those stories out there where Harry makes a 'sacrifice' of taking the dark mark, use the plot idea to fuel un-needed angst. No story, no matter how well-written will convince me that it was necessary for Harry to take the dark mark.

All in all, good time pass. So 3/5 from me.

16. Dirk Diggory

Dirk Diggory Seventh Year

Maybe people are giving the plausibility of the plot a pass because it made sense in Naruto or something. It doesn't really make any sense here. Intentionally sending a kid into the death eaters just seems dumb and pointless, especially with the lame "dont worry hes not going to kill anyone! he was just polyjuicing people and hiding them in a house somewhere! and jk about raep!". You can't have your cake and eat it too, either he joins Voldemort and has to do nasty stuff or he doesn't.

Do not want.

17. sincostan

Polyjuicing and hiding makes sense. jk about raep... it's pretty screwed up. This is seriously a horrible story which makes no plausible sense. Just go read Naruto.

18. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

It is a decent one shot. I think the story is a bit too contrived though.

I think it would have worked better if either the Weasleys were emphasized (maybe Itachi!Percy) or perhaps the Blacks (Itachi!Regulus anyone). It suffers from one character from one universe replacing another character from a different fictional universe.

3 stars.

19. shadetz x

shadetz x Second Year

3.5/5 People already wrote what I would have.

20. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Hey shadetz x!

A friendly warning that may be right, but probably will be wrong - your sig is waaay too big.

Cut it down, bruh.