1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Dragonmasters by Naia - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Goddess of Ran, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Goddess of Ran

Goddess of Ran Sixth Year

Title: The Dragonmasters
    Author: Naia
    Rating: M
    Genre: General
    Chapters: 37
    Words: 378,054
    Updated: August 7, 2008
    Published: September 22, 2002

Summary: AU. Harry Potter disappeared! While the Wizarding world sink into war, Harry is thrown in a whole new world and left to fend for himself. He will have to prove himself worthy of bonding to the long thought dead Magical Dragons and becoming a Dragonmaster.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/979216/1/

The story isn't done yet but it's well written. I haven't finished reading it yet but it's been a good story so far. Basically Harry's taken away from the Dursleys, against his will, and, like the summary says, he has to prove himself worthy. I didn't really like what happened in the earlier chapters but it gets better as time passes.

Checked by Minion, March 30, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2013
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I've read it a while ago. Very good story, interesting universe.

Unfortunately, it kinda ran out of steam in latter chapters, with too many pointless angst and the plot running in circles without any real development...

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    i have to agree with IP82. I actually gave up on it in the later chapters I got so bored with it.

4. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Yeah I agree. I wished she ended it with the battle with the King, then take a break before writing the meeting of worlds part. But that other fic she has now is good, too bad it hasn't been updated in a while.

5. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I liked it up to the point i read... round 23...24... not gotten any further when i lost the link... so thankies...

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I can't express my hate of this fic accuratly enough. Extreme OC, he gets his ass handed to him, then winds up becoming overpowered, the dragon bonding, etc.

It's just way too far past normal, even by fic standards, to be readable for me.

7. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I did start reading this a long, long time ago. I couldn't continue though. I have nothing against reading a AU fic but this story goes past being an AU. It seems to me, at least as far as I read, that this is an original story bearing Harry Potter as nothing but a name for the main character.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yes, it does get out of hand later on, but the part in that school was rather nice.

9. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The part where they rip his tendons to shreds?

10. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

No the part when he screws them all over by outtraining them on his own and winning the tournament.

I hate that shit with hurt-angst, that scene with tendons was the begining of this story's downfall.

Psychological angst is ok by me (like when Harry tried to kill himself coz he was rejected and alone), but punching the main character around pointlessly just coz he's so awwww cute when he's hurt is a cheap and artificial way to infuse more angst into story (check out Sunset thread, I was ranting about this earlier today).

11. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

and then bam! harry and his new friend that used to hate his guts cause hes human bond with dragons and presto chango they are healed!!

i dislike how they go back to hogwarts and are like "there are alot of people untrained in fancy super power arts we will train them all!" and then every kid becomes like an elemental and can blow up hogwarts with the blink of an eye

12. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Yeh i gotta agree with that Redeye it's down right pathetic that like 50 students become elementals pfft absolutly stupid! i liked the universe they created though and everyone that's said it's been blowing out of purportion then i highly agree, raising islands come on!

13. Goddess of Ran

Well, I just finished reading past the first ten chapters and I guess it's not really as good as how it started. I'll just see for myself how the rest of the story goes. Although I personally think this story should go under the Godlike Harry category.

14. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

As you posted it, you should make sure and place this in the correct category. Moved to Godlike Harry Potter Fics forum.

15. Goddess of Ran

Yeah, I guess so. I didn't finish reading it when I posted this here since I was too sleepy so I really didn't get to the part where he became Godlike. Guess I shouldn't read that late at night. I practically forgot I'm the one who put this post up in the first place. :p

Sorry 'bout that mistake people.

16. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

For some reason I always group this story in my mind with Raven Dragonclaw's Elemental Genesis story/series, even though I doubt they really relate at all. Just massively long fics with thousands of reviews at fanfiction.net and absolutely no interest for me in the slightest to read.

Fics like these, I think need their own genre. It's the original fiction genre in the harry potter fanfic universe. Where you use the name Harry Potter briefly, and then basically absolutely nothing else at all remotely relating to any of say, the books, or canon, or other characters in the HP world. If it's an original character, odds are, I don't give two flying weasel fucks about them. And these are massive, interesting fics that I've no doubt are well-written and I would heartily recommend if I had any dice-chucking friends. But well, if they chucked dice and were my friends, they better have a seriously hot slutty sister. Or mom.

Miranda Flairgold's A Second Chance at Life is another one in this genre. But that one, I've been reading for a while now and will continue too. Had I not been reading it since she started, I doubt I could get myself to suffer through 150K+ words of original characters, original settings and all these new rules on magic and races of magical beings.

There's a reason I like Harry Potter fan fiction, and that's the Harry Potter aspect of it.

17. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Indeed. Nice bar :D

18. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I have to agree as well...thats why PatronusCharm has a "Original Universe" category just for stories like this. The Dragonmasters started out okay, but quickly spiralled off into something totally its own. Same with A Second Chance at Life. I quickly lost interest in Raven Dragonclaw's elemental series once she started introducing Dudley the uber demon fighter. I did find the part where Harry dropped in and kicked ass for Dudley cool (with the huge bolts of lighting), but other than that it started to become somewhat boring for me.

19. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Indeed. The problem with AU's like this is that the author often gets too carried away with the story. A concise story is far better than a 300k+ "epic". I often get very bored with the numerous plot bunnies created by these superfluous writers.

Though for the record, I haven't read this fic and am a fan of AU (I'm just bored at the mo).

20. oldmagic

oldmagic Seventh Year

oh come on, be nice. the story is good when i was reading it. then the chapters keeps going and going and going and i don't know who's harry's real enemy anymore.
    ok so the story is without the doupt, really ducked up. he should quit while he's ahead. it just gave me a headache so i just gave up.