1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Dresden Files Book Club August - December

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by Josh, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:
    In a book club everyone reads the same book, and then comes together to discuss. If Peace Talks is going to come out this year, which I'm kinda doubting it will... I'd like to be fresh on my Dresden facts and details.

I'll be reading at least 3 books a month, starting in August. If you'd like to dial it down to 2 books, I'm sure you know enough to still be able to participate in the discussion on the third book as well.

Participants:

1. Josh
    2. Erotic Adventures of S
    3. 9th Doctor
    4. Zeelthor
    5. Zenzao
    6. Disturbed27
    7. froger

In the event that Peace Talks comes out before we finish these books we will stop what we are doing, and the book club will focus on reading peace talks.
    At least I will anyway :)

August

• Storm Front
    • Fool Moon
    • Grave Peril

September

• Summer Night
    • Death Masks
    • Blood Rites
    October

• Dead Beat
    • Proven Guilty
    • White Night
    November

• Small Favor
    • Turn Coat
    • Changes

December

(Weird coincidence that we'll be reading cold days in December.)

• Ghost Story
    • Cold Days
    • Skin Game

I really don't see how Jim is going to have Peace Talks for us this year unless he can finish it, have it polished and published by his editor, then going even further to print and distribute to their outlets. All in just five months.

Having put this together I'm wondering if anyone else even has the time to do this, as I can listen to, or read the books at work all week long. Please let me know if you are interested. It would be fun to discuss everything together as it happens.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I could find the time to do it, but re-reading DF for the nth time isn't near the top of my list with all the other fun/interesting 'to-dos' I have on it.

However if this gets going I'd probably enjoy picking up 1-2 to read during it, mostly the ones that I haven't read in a while or that I appear to have 'missed something' in. I've got paperbacks of all of these books, but damned if I know where they are... most of my stuff was moved into a storage shed behind my house in 2013 and I haven't bothered moving some of it back in, books included.

3. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:
    I mean, if you want to join in on the discussion part thats cool too. I know it's a lot. I am a quick reader, especially since i know the story pretty well already. I just don't want to let Jim pull anything over on me in Peace Talks.

4. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I like the idea although I think the time frame is a bit fast, I'd be more comfortable with a book every 2 weeks.

But yeah, sign me up.

5. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:

The time frame is based on the fact that we might not have a lot of time to finish before peace talks is here. I'd love to be distracted and trying to read them all and then be blindsided by the release.

6. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

I'm in. I've got a solid number on audible so that'll help my reading time. I'm already noticing stuff as I go through. I'm actually listening to Summer Knight for the second time in a month for a project in working on.

7. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:

Cool, I'll add you to the list 9th Doctor.

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I might be game for this, too! :D

9. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:
    Lets think up some topics for The Storm Front discussion, and the whole book club in general. I will be looking for evidence of Nemesis for sure, having gotten so much new information on it recently.

10. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Odds are good there won't be much Nemesis in the first two books, if anything. That stuff is sorta of made canon retroactively. Just like the "cleaning spell" Dresden pulls out of the hat when fighting Victor Sells never comes up again, because that's more of a HP magic thing than Dresden Files magic.

The two first books hadn't quite had all the things figured out yet, so I'm not sure if that'd work. Then again, it could be fun to TRY to apply Nemesis where it's possible! :) Butcher most likely will.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Arguably there could be some references to Nemesis early on, simply because Jim planned out the full 20+3 series before he started writing. I doubt there'll be anything in Storm Front, though. Grave Peril is the point where we start getting hints at the greater plot.

12. Erotic Adventures of S

Well didn't he outright say that the guy who taught victor was in or affiliated with the black council? And the third eye is somehow related? mainly because we don't sell options t much anymore, but third eye was some heavy duty shit.

13. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:
    I'be come much to the same conclusion.

it's been pointed out that Victor and the FBI agents have both been affected by nemesis. These are things we'll be investigating as we begin the gauntlet.

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I might be able to join up with this. I pushed through Cold Days inside of 24 hours a couple years ago so if I pull the same schedule of just non-stop reading all day I could probably get through the earlier novels fairly easily and still have time to read the remainder of the books I'm already lined up for throughout the year.

15. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:
    I sent out a private message to everyone interested, if they wanted to begin Storm front this weekend, rather than wait till august. Who is up for starting now?

16. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd be down for that, should take about that long for my local library to restock Storm Front through Grave Peril.

17. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

I was just thinking about a reread for Peace Talks, so I'm definitely interested. I'd be willing to start whenever.

18. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

While I'd be willing to start sooner it would t hurt to see if there were others that were interested. It's only been a few days but has already received a bit more interest.

But hey, I've got storm front download so I'm good for whenever.

19. Erotic Adventures of S

I'd rather wait, but if people want to start now I can jump in latter.

20. Josh

Josh Second Year

High Score:
    I sent an PM out to everyone that has shown interest, hardly anyone has really responded about starting early, other than those that posted here in the thread.

The more the Merrier that's for sure. I do think we should plan on digging into Storm Front, by the 29/30th though. That weekend right before August shouldn't be wasted. :colbert: