1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The End by Taure - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Skeletaure, Dec 28, 2006.

Not open for further replies.
  1. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

That implies an actual military conflict where both sides can harm the other. Wizards can exist, utterly hidden, within a muggle city and never be found. They do t have to fight muggles, they just have to kill them.

2. Knoq

Knoq Temporarily Banhammered

Except it is. At this point, I'm starting to think you can safely be ignored. Since you can't actually address arguments or statements or even guesses.
    See above
    Of a total war? Portraying what would actually happen is simply how it is. What are you going to do? Whine?
    Your impotent tears, while sad and pathetic, do not amuse me. More importantly, they do not meaningfully contribute to the discussion, any discussion, that is going on here.
    No, you are completely incapable of proving me wrong in any way whatsoever. The only possible fall back you have is the tired and utter bullshit "Technology will advance and then, somehow, turn magic off". Which is the crux of that debate. Its total bullshit and known to be such, since its Wizards that have MAGIC, not Muggles. You got nothing except meager and sad complaints about how utterly broken and outrageously powerful Potterverse magic is.
    True they can. Sorta. But when you barely even know your enemy even exists, and, hell, lets just break the masquerade, but even then, you can't even locate most if any of them, even when they are literally down the street from you, then any war is devastatingly one sided. A good story of a war would require the Imperius being nerfed outright. For whatever reason, just blatantly nerfed.

And even then, its a horrendous curbstomp of modern Muggle Civilization.
    Due to the fact that I actually enjoy an engaging debate and have some common sense, I'll grant you this. However....
    Charles Manson had groupies. Still does. And certain Cannibalistic Serial Killers had fangirls....that were grown women. Oh and
    Does not help you assertion. At all. You just described conditions which historically led to hundreds/thousands/millions being enslaved in civilizations all over the world throughout history. And conditions which led people to give up their sovereignty.
    Ah yes, the same technology that makes muggle civilization incredibly fragile. Food, Shelter, Clothing, Language and Entertainment? Wizards have it equal enough in most areas. Superior in some, its only in information distribution that they even sorta lag behind
    Quickly, how many muggleborns are there, how many of are Hermione's admittedly impressive caliber? Small number and even more drastically smaller number. Good fodder for continuing and lengthening the war, but ultimately just delaying the inevitable, if that
    Congratulations. Voldemort and the Death Eaters no longer need lies for propaganda. Just the raw naked truth. Too bad for insufficiently useful Muggleborn traitors. In fact, something like this would very well have even the Weasley's think about joining Voldemort. And for most of the population, things like this or even the hint of them, would cause them to rally behind Voldemort. Or Grindelwald. Or any powerful Dark Lord who advocated bad things to the Muggles. Sure, a percent, a truly and hilariously microscopic percentage of Wizards and Witches might still work with Muggles. But you are literally talking only the most stupid, desperate, and most hated magicals. 99% of the Wizarding world, would not betray their own kind. Ever. It didn't even happen when Voldemort was going all "LOLHitler analogy".[/quote] to try and reverse-engineer magic

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you're gonna talk shite like this, then better stop typing. He may have other reasons for not wanting to spend time explaining some things if he doesn't want to.

I would like to see a scenario where the wizards avoid making even one mistake. Because that's all it would take for muggles to find out about their existance. One video clip and the secret is no more. Also, I don't know what you mean by curbstomp. Magic fucks over electricity, but there are BFGs that work on simple mechanisms. Pretty sure that a sniper at 100 metres would win against a wizard, unless the wizard knew that the sniper was there. Bullets go faster than wizards cast spells mah son.

A fair point.

There, FTFY. Wizards would have to pull off an enormous fucking operation to entirely deny the muggles their technology.

And yet all it took to fuck over Voldemort was one genius muggleborn aided by two teenager of rather average intelligence. All it takes to cause wizards some serious problems is just one muggleborn who'll make use of the considerable advantages technology can give.

Sure, wizards wouldn't like it if muggles started running tests on them. And just because the muggles would try it, doesn't mean they'd succeed. They would very likely fail. As far as we know, there is no way to manufacture wizards other pop out a magical baby. But muggles would still try, no matter what. And why do assume only the stupidest would join the other side? Who's to say some of them won't just go to Jamaica and wait until the war is over? Deserters would hurt wizards more than muggles.

For every guy shouting "Jesus returned!", you'd have another yelling "Satan is here!" Of course, 'Satan' would also have his followers.

And you may have just invalidated your own argument that the muggles' number may not matter all that much.

If you crunch the approximate numbers, there can't be more than a few million wizards in the world. If you take Britain and take it as an example of the whole (which is the best thing available to us), you'll notice that wizards could have a relatively high percentage of elderly people for their total numbers. Hogwarts is the biggest school in the country and they have what, 300 students across all seven years. And again, wizard would have to pull off a motherfucking miracle to cripple global infrastructure enough to cause 80% of muggles to die. Even if they pulled that off, with say 200 mln muggles left and a generous estimate of 10mln wizards, you still have 20 muggles to every wizard. Muggles aren't stupid. If wizards can hide, so would they.

I'm missing the point here, I think. Are you saying that underground resistance movements wouldn't matter? If so, you just took away the wizards' covert operations to undermine muggles.

No one is denying that wizards being hidden have a ridiculous advantage over muggles. And yes, when you have a few million people capable of killing just by waving a wand and casting a spell, it's a crutch. But there are many factors to take into account. Even simple close quarters. Get close enough and one punch could turn the tables on the enemy. Wizards are the most effective at the range of a spell, but up close, when fists come into play, both sides have almost equal chances. At longer distances... well, that's another thing to discuss.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

You are talking about tactics - this sort of thing isn't going to be decided by tactics, it is going to be decided by overarching strategic concerns.

It wouldn't be too difficult for Wizards to obliterate the infrastructure modern society requires to function, while muggles would struggle to do the same - THAT alone is enough to say that they would lose.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate you all. Please leave your bad arguments out of my thread.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That.

Thathathathathat.

Thus the thread is closed.