1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Gamer Manga Thread

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Republic, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Started Sept 2013, 63 chapters as of today. Anyone reading that? I think it's pretty fucking awesome.

Context for those who have never seen it before: "Han Jee-Han, a normal high school student, suddenly develops a special power where his entire world is shifted into a game-like setting. He can see the power levels of people, look at the stats of a seemingly normal item, get abilities, and even level up! Follow Han Jee-Han as he discovers how to use this power, and maybe even where it came from.".

Give it a try. You won't be dissapointed.

2. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Read it after Nuhuh posted his Naruto/The Gamer fusion. It's surprisingly good considering that till recent chapters all the main character did was grinding.

But then again I do enjoy all these fics with 90% of its content being about Harry developing his abilities, so it's something that I'm fan of.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've been thinking about getting into this... in fact, I just started. However, the official webtoons translation is god awful, as usual. Is there a site with better translation? Mangafox seems to have better, but I'd really like the best.

I also have to say that this is a colored manhwa, like Tower of God.

4. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

I've been reading this for a while. It's... Not bad, but I wish it was a lot better. The concept is awesome, but seems pretty limited by the author's ability. Still, early days, so I'm hoping for improvement in the future.

In the mean time, anyone know of anything decent with a similar concept? So far I've read DICE, Re:Monster, and Slime Tensai Monogatari.

Edit: I've been using Mangahere, I couldn't tell you if there's a better one or not. I remember when I was first looking for it, only two groups seemed to be translating, and one vanished.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  5. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I use mangafox, personally.

6. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Honestly, it might be better for people starting now and reading it all in one go. But for me, who've been reading Gamer since it's come out, it's so awful with the week after week of grinding. Seriously. I don't mind reading like 10 chapters of it, but once you have 40+ chapters of grinding ( That's literally almost a year's worth of chapters), then it just gets ridiculous.

7. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I read it all at once and I enjoyed it, so there many be merit to that.

8. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

I've been reading this ever since it started and have been loving it. The author for whatever reason makes the plot advance at a snails fucking pace but the entire premise and execution has just been great.

Though there's a few things that i feel an avid gamer like Han-jee Han would have already been exploring, i understand why the author isn't rushing to have him exploit them as he would grow to powerful to quickly, and he's already grown pretty fucking powerful in a relatively short amount of time(when compared to how he's practically already caught up to his best friend).

I also feel that we don't see Han-jee Han doing nearly enough quests. I think in all 63 chapters, we've seen him do what 2 quests? And both of them were done in like the same chapter. But it seems the plot is finally picking up pace and he's finally ready to enter the Abyss so i look forward to things to come.

9. Clerith

High Score:
    Just at chapter 25 now, but this thing is amazing. As an rpg fanatic, it's really easy to get into, and the protag is surprisingly fun, I love when he gets excited about new skills and abilities, and I like that he's really thinking things out. I don't mind the grinding and training at all - it's fun.

I do have a feeling that the author is intentionally making sure not to make him too broken. "If a normal person with knowledge about gaming obtained this ability" - that's what I think this manhwa is about. I'd be more interested in reading about a genius who exploits the hell out of the system. But that's be pretty demanding of the author.

5/5 so far.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  10. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I caught up on this a few weeks ago and I can tell you it wasn't necessarily better reading all that grinding in one go. Although it maybe wasn't quite as bad as taking it over the course of many months.

Overall, this manhwa is ok. The concept is cool, but character development and plot progression are both rather weak.

I hate the concept of the "gamer's mind" passive. It's the author's way of saying, "I can't be bothered to write a realistic character, so here's why he acts so much better than any other human realistically would."

11. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually really liked the mind of the gamer. It really adds a dark side to his powers.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I read this a few weeks ago after skimming through this fic.

It's not bad, but I'm not that into it either. Reading it big chunks is definitely the way to go for this one in my opinion. Otherwise I expect it would drag too much. I'll probably follow it by checking up on it every 4-5 months so I can keep reading it in chunks.

13. Clerith

High Score:
    Finished it. Immersive, entertaining, funny. Easily 5/5.

My only complaint would be that the protag is an obvious virgin who's never kissed before, and he's a bit too much of a good guy, not wanting to kill anybody.

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    New chapter is out. I'm enjoying things so far, and the grinding didn't bother me so much having it available to rush through in a couple of days.

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Very interesting concept, mostly good characters (except the sick chick, boriiiing), but with a very frustrating pace. The Universe itself isn't very interesting, not nearly enough to enjoy the full potential of this idea.

16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Bump because recent updates.

Last chapters was kind of grind-y, but Han's new skills look pretty fucking sweet. Dat flight :3

17. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I can't believe he's been playing all this time and hasn't looked at what all the stats actually do yet.

Seems like he should have looked for the teleport skill as well.

18. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Does that mean if he learns "resurrection" skill, he can bring back the dead? Or are there any limits to what he can do? If he's become a game character and the world changes with him, then shouldn't he be able to do it?

19. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

That's assuming that a resurrection skill exists for him to learn. If one does then it's unlikely that he'd be the only one to know it.

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Not to mention that on low levels all he'd probably make are zombies.