1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 17/18 Edition

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oment, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

With the transfer window open, and European competitions already starting up, it's time for a new thread. Starting us off is Rangers FC's return to Europe:

That about says it all.

In some confirmed transfer news: Lyon's Lacazette is set to move to Arsenal for £52.7 million, Liverpool also smashed the piggy bank for Roma's Salah (£36,7m), AS Monaco paid €13m for Feyenoord's Kongolo, while Pepe has left Real for Besiktas after his contract expired.

2. Peteks

Peteks Unspeakable

Looking forward to the new season. The transfer window has been pretty quiet till now so I'm expecting some more major deals happening soon.

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

Lukaku to United? What?

How did Chelsea not jump on this? I'd heard nothing but that being more or less lined up as the season ended. Crazy shit.

4. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

The whole Lukaku saga stems from the chairman Michael Emenalo's desire to sign him. Conte is said to strongly prefer Morata, who he's already worked with during his time in Juventus I think. This is a strong indicator that we'll be making a move for Morata instead, who I think is a tad more refined than Lukaku anyway.

5. Johnnyseattle

That was part of the reason I was amused by it - Morata seemed to be United's target for a bit there, even though the bad blood was still there from the DDG fax saga. Now this. Have to wonder how much Conte is considering trying to keep Costa just in case though.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery Prestige

High Score:
    Yeah, a bit surprised about Lukaku, given the Costa exit rumors, but Manchester United have made some pretty incredible moves as of late and obviously the have the money to fund the transfer (and three or four more like it if they wanted) with no concerns.

The question is how much does he improve upon Zlatan? In my personal opinion, United will finish in the top four this year. Sadly enough, with Lacazette coming in and Sanchez supposedly staying, Arsenal may be a lot better too. Considering Tottenham, Chelsea and City are still loaded and Liverpool have the best team on paper they've had in years, it's going to be another very difficult to predict season.

I can't see Chelsea repeating without a fantastic replacement for Costa. Tottenham are the team I see dropping a bit, along with City. United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal this season for me.

7. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait, did he? Thought they only got him after Allegri took over.

8. AlbusPHolmes

It would appear I was a tad wrong on that score. He was signed for Juve by Conte which means the admiration was already clearly there, but Conte left soon after for the Italy job so they didn't get much of a chance to work together.

9. AlbusPHolmes

The EPL Fantasy Premier League just opened up again! I took the liberty of creating both the head-to-head and classic leagues for this year. Here are the Sign-up Codes for them.

DLP Classic: 1040815-250393

DLP Head-to-Head: 1040815-250434

Here's my team, pending any last transfer/injury minute changes before the league kicks off in earnest in August.

GK: De Gea, Martinez
    Defenders: Cahill, Vertonghen, Daniels, Brad Smith, Rangel
    Mid: Alli, Willian, Wanyama, Zaha, Coutinho
    FW: Morata, Solanke, Lacazette

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  10. Peteks

Peteks Unspeakable

Guess I won't be renewing the leagues for this season then. Signed up :)

11. Seeua

Seeua Squib

Well I jumped back in again this season.

As far as transfers I am waiting to see if any of the drama around Sanchez, Neymar, Coutinho and Mbappe pans out into any of them actually moving or just into higher wages.

12. Johnnyseattle

I'm back for another beating. I'll try to even remember to change my lineups in time - the 2am deadline if you're on the west coast USA is ugly sometimes. it's either I'm not awake yet, or I'm still awake but too drunk to remember it. :)

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Barcelona's tears over PSG meeting the release clause, circumventing ffp and buying Neymar are fucking hilarious.

If you don't know, from what I understand, Qatar are paying Neymar €300m to be the WC Ambassador in 2022, he's using that money to trigger his release clause and buy himself out of his contract, then pocketing the rest,essentially signing for PSG on a free.

That's before we even get into his half a mill a week contract...

14. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Neymar's soap opera is hilarious and crazy. A quarter of a billion dollars for a player... Jesus. And his salary is doubling again, second time in as many years, he is going to become the third most well paid player (behind CR and Messi, funnily enough). - This is counting endorsements and stuff like that.

This can either backfire horribly and lead to him becoming stuck in a non-competitive league and dooming him to never getting the recognition he dreams, may end up with him leading PSG to an inedit Continental win and clinching him that Best Player award or... Who knows.

Pretty sure Qatari companies are just using intercomlanies loans/aports to give the money to PSG without counting as expenditure and thus allowing them to buy it. That expense was already earmarked for some time too.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  15. Gengar

High Score:
    I've seen that argument, the 'Ligue Un Lol' one, but I don't buy it.

It seems to be working fine for Bayern Munich.

Though maybe they just had a few golden years and will fall away. I dunno, we'll see, but look at that PSG team. Utterly ludicrous.

[​IMG]

Mind, that's with Rabiot and Draxler on the bench...

16. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Wasn't a particularly strong game from either side but the win didn't feel unfair. Going to be an interesting season. Lacazette hasn't blown anyone away thus far but Kolasinac looks great.

17. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Brazil reigns supreme. Just there. Fucking World Cup.

18. AlbusPHolmes

Sign up for the Fantasy Leagues people! The League kicks off in a few hours!

19. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

God I hate Arsenal.

God I love Arsenal.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm taking solace in the fact that we had two left backs and a kid in defence.

We scored 4 goals against a team sitting deep, that's really good.

Xhaka was poor defensively, amazing the other way.

God I hope we get a rock solid partner for him.