1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 17/18 Edition

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oment, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yeah... I get that the performance wasn't very good in terms of defense but all the people completely losing their shit over it... Sheesh. What are we supposed to do? Conjure up a world class defender and tell him "You only get to play a game or two until all our main players are back."

Seems our opponents are losing points so we're off to a decent start, all things considered.

2. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Xhaka is supposed to not give the ball away cheaply in bad areas when there's an inexperienced/backup defence behind him, that's all.

3. DC

DC Groundskeeper

Why is this thread so silent?

Beat Spurs 2-1, we scored all 3 of their first goals at wembley, Conte put his suit on and celebrated like a madman again.

All in all, preseason finally ended.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    Just copy all my posts from lasts year's thread into this one, it'll still apply.

Hard to stay enthusiastic with the sport you love when your club isn't actually that interested in winning.

5. Peteks

Peteks Unspeakable

I'm just waiting for Hazard to get back healthy, then I can get excited again for the season. My mouth waters at the idea of his and Morata's linkup play.

We do need a fourth midfielder though after letting RLC, Chalobah and Ake go (albeit RLC on loan and the others with buybacks). 3 real midfielders and Luiz is horrible depth.

6. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

This is the first season in a few years that I'm actually excited about United's title chances. Our new signings look excellent and the guys we signed last year seem to be playing far better than they did before. We could probably use another fullback but I'm pretty happy with that being the biggest weakspot in our team atm. If Rashford and Martial can continue to make big steps forward then our future is looking pretty bright. It's only been two games against bad teams but the difference between the start of this season and last season's performances is huge.

7. DC

DC Groundskeeper

CL draws ongoing.

So we got Athletico, Roma and Qarabag, who're from Azerbaijan. Not an impossible group.

United have got Basel and Benfica and CSKA Moscow. Not a bad deal, those lucky fucks.

Not a good week for the Spurs, though. Real and Dortmund. Good news all around.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Liverpool got Spartak Moscow, Sevilla and Maribor. What the actual fuck?

8. Gengar

High Score:
    Looking forward to Arsenal's Europa league group being harder than Liverpool and ManU's CL ones...

9. elucidinian

elucidinian Squib

15/16 EL final still haunts me

10. DC

DC Groundskeeper

As a Chelsea fan, I can tell you with utmost authority that there was no football for the year 2015-16.

Meanwhile Chelsea beat a tired, uninspired Everton. And Liverpool massacre Arsenal. Wenger out time already?

11. Gengar

High Score:
    Wenger's a hack now. He's taking the club down with him.

12. DC

DC Groundskeeper

They played horribly today. Even Henry was disgusted at the end of it all. If anybody is having a crisis and a 'Mourinho' season, it's them.

13. Nosss

Nosss Seventh Year

Baffling team choice by Wenger. Played to all of Liverpool's strengths and none of their weaknesses. Anytime we can put our front three against an opposition back three we will be laughing. Mane and Salah are so damn fast, and all three of them are brilliant. Firmono might be the most underrated player in the league.

Thought Liverpool made a statement today that they'll be around til the end of the season. Definitely for top four - with the exception of Watford these first five games have been as good as we could have hoped.

Hoping coutinho comes back into the fold and is willing to give one more season. Hoping that we can sign some kind of CB depth (if VVD is truly off the table like he seems) and hoping to get some depth in midfield too. We can still improve, but that was a brilliant display today.

14. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

Is that because of opponents or Wenger's team choices?

I'm honestly not sure I want Coutinho back in the lineup - in terms of consistency, I'd much rather have Lallana the reason we need to fit another player in there, and honestly I'm not sure who I'd bench to slot him in - I'm assuming it'll be Wijnaldum, as while he's generally a solid player, he's way too prone to slowing down what would otherwise be the fastest counter in the league. You wouldn't know it from yesterday or anything though. :)

15. Rah

Rah Auror

I don't follow football that much, but if I know one thing from my FIFA days it's that The Ox is one of my favorite players. He signed with Liverpool just now. Is that a better team for him than Arsenal?

16. Peteks

Peteks Unspeakable

I guess Liverpool offered him the chance to play CM, as I've heard he really wants to play there and wasn't getting that at Arsenal.

17. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery Prestige

High Score:
    A couple of notes about the transfer window:

I was instrumental in the signing of Ox, as my stalwart defense of his skills over the last few days on various Liverpool websites has proven. Personally feel he can contribute immediately in several different positions, while it's debatable whether he can start in central midfield for us. Long term, I see him as Milner's replacement and I would expect James to leave next season (high wages, not playing that often) unless he somehow grabs that left back spot again.

If Lemar goes to Arsenal, I'm sure some fans will cry Lemar > Ox, but I'm actually totally good with his signing. Lemmy's a great player, don't get me wrong, but if Coutinho is not on the move, I can't really see pushing Salah, Mane or Firmino out of the lineup even to accommodate another great star. Also, Navy Keith is an incredible signing for us, showing that we really will fight to get the stars that Klopp wants -- even after he taps them up and inadvertently ruins their transfer!

Sadly, VVD does not seem to be moving on deadline day and Arsenal are ponying up big money for Lemar.

18. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

Yeah, I've read as high as 110m that Arsenal are throwing at Lemar. We were waving like 75m at them or something. Allllrighty then. :)

I like Ox as a player and all, but I'm still not sure who he's pushing out of the starting 11 right now, and that's without Lallana being back from injury - I guess it's got to be Wijnaldum for now, although I can't help thinking that this means Emre Can really is going to leave, and we're planning for the future without him. That sucks. :(

19. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Lemar transfer dead.

The banter era continues.

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Signing him wouldn't have ended the banter era.

Have no midfielders, continue to play your genius quarterback alone with a bunch of isolated attackers ahead of him leaving him to die.