1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 17/18 Edition

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oment, Jul 5, 2017.

1. telecaster11

telecaster11 Squib

I was shocked when I found out- didn't expect Emery at all. Still, he's better than Arteta and certainly has some experience. Excited to see if he makes any good signings in the summer- although it doesn't sound like he has much of a budget.

2. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just seeing the reactions to every option makes me hate our fan base. The new guy is not fucking Wenger, we can be rid of him if he's shit, like every other club in modern football. I've held back though because I understand most need to get used to that concept - I genuinely encountered someone on Twitter concerned by the rumoured two year contract, presumably he wanted us to give Emery 20...

By far the most troubling theory though is they caved under fan pressure. This... does not bode well if true.

3. telecaster11

telecaster11 Squib

I see your point but I don’t think it’s fair to say “if he’s bad we’ll just fire him”. To succeed you need to have some kind of sustainable structure, even if you change managers frequently. The board can take risks and yes, they can fire the new boss if they need to. But they also need to excercise basic common sense and not hire someone like Arteta who has no experience managing a professional football team.

I’m excited for Emery and for this new era overall. Hopefully he can bring some defensive grit to this team, whether through signings or a new defensive shape.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  4. Gengar

High Score:
    I think that's ultimately why they didn't pull the trigger on Arteta.

5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yeah. Honestly, what we need most is to structure our defense, midfield included. Offensively, we're in pretty decent shape. Not as good as City or Liverpool, but it's not that bad. United probably have better offensive players, but they're coached by Mourinho, so there's not as much of a need to worry there.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm not gonna lie, Emery forcing some of our players to use video analysis and study their opponents really excites me, specifically with Xhaka, Mustafi and Bellerin.

7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Don't they do that already? 0.o It'll be interesting to see what a new trainer can do with our defenders. I've kinda given up hope on Mustafi already, but we'll see.

8. telecaster11

telecaster11 Squib

Hopefully Emery can help make Xhaka a better player. He has a lot of potential and could be really good imo but hasn't been consistent at all. I'm not sure whether it's better to bring in a new, more defensive midfielder or to use the players we have already and change the coaching to give them more structure.

The rumors say that Emery wants to build his team around Aaron and Auba, which is great if true. Ramsey is a brilliant player and I would be heartbroken if he left.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    Can't build a team around Rambo, that's a recipe for disaster. You can't build a team around anyone so injury prone.

10. telecaster11

telecaster11 Squib

Fair point- hopefully he stays fit (although he's not as bad as Wilshere)

11. thoriyan

thoriyan Slug Club Member

So uhhhh how bout Karius eh?

12. Plotless

Plotless Professor

Karius is going to be remembered as the keeper that fucked up twice in the champions league final for the rest of his career.

13. h2o

h2o Professor

Poor little feller. While I do loathe Real Madrid... I hate Liverpool so, thank fuck that final is over and done with. Oh and cracking goal from Bale there for 2-1... that one will be remembered for quite some time!

14. Gengar

High Score:
    A lot of people will choose to focus on Ramos' shithousery (and Karius), but the way he just ignored Liverpool's forward press and played around/over them was just sublime. Cool as a cucumber.

15. telecaster11

telecaster11 Squib

So Spain have sacked their head coach less than a week before their first world cup game. Holy shit I did not see that one coming.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    I love football, haha.

17. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

It's the fucking world cup boys, i'm so buzzing. Exam revision is about to go down the toilet in favour of fixtures like Russia vs Saudi Arabia and Peru vs Denmark

18. Nevermind

Nevermind Sixth Year

High Score:
    So far, I haven‘t caught the World Cup bug at all this year. Don‘t really know why. It just doesn‘t feel like it used to.

19. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

5-0 in the opening match, Cheryshev's second goal was a BANGER:

https://streamja.com/aXG9

Start watching the games, maybe it'll suck you in.

20. telecaster11

telecaster11 Squib

Damn that was a banger. I had to record the first game because I had biology :( Gonna watch it tonight. I was surprised to see Russia do so well- I was expecting a boring nil-nil.
    Should be an interesting world cup- hopefully the Russians manage to keep their fans under control.

I'm predicting France or Germany to win it but I think Croatia could do really well this year. Their options in midfield are ridiculous.