1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Keeper by B.B. Ruth - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by WhartonKid, Jun 17, 2011.

1. WhartonKid

WhartonKid Muggle

Just recently joined the forums, as a friend of mine told me it was easier to come here and search for stories rather than taking the time to sort through the junk on FF.

I searched the forums for this story, but haven't found it - if it's already there, I apologize.

Title: The Keeper
    Author: B.B. Ruth
    Rating: M
    Genre: Mystery/Agnst/Drama
    DLP Category: General Fiction/Post-DH Canon Compliant (Certain Extent)
    Pairing: Harry P. - Hermione G.
    Summary: "The Keeper is a mystery/angst novel-length fic, Post-Hogwarts, Post-Epilogue and based on canon outcomes"
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4307907/1/The_bKeeper_b

Not sure what standard Dark Lord Potter measures fics on, but I hope it suffices to at least warrant a read. I liked it, to say the least - but I'm a fan of HP/HG stories that sprout from realistic canon outcomes.

2. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I read a bit of this a long time ago, it's a Hermione-sue fic where Harry is full of angst at trying to get Hermione to love him and without her he can't solve anything on his own, let alone tie his own shoes, so this site won't like it. And the stuff with Hugo being Harry's...

3. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Really not convinced this is the place for this story. There are a number of things, even from the summary, that spring to mind.

Hermione isn't the most popular character 'round these parts, and The Keeper essentially revolves around her and how she is so perfect, despite her many glaring flaws which none of the characters seem to notice. Also, it is very angsty. And you probably should have posted the prequel (The Sacrifice) with it, as that helps to set the scene quite well. And finally, if you didn't know this before, canon is not exactly... favoured, in this forum. Maybe it'll be given a chance, but I have my doubts.

However, I have been following this fic since it's early days and do enjoy it as a bit of a guilty pleasure. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for readable H/Hr, or because I have no taste whatsoever, but hey, either way works. I find the mystery intriguing and the OCs introduced do the jobs they are created for. I would prefer a little less focus on the young'uns, but I can understand that their actions are essential to the story.

When I first started reading this (must have been nearly 3 years ago now [EDIT: looked at start date, seems to be just that!]), I thought the writing was fantastic. Now, with the increase in quality of writing in the fandom in the last year or two (thanks to a number of authors who should not need naming), I am not so enamoured with it. However, it is not poor, or even average, it is merely good. Sentance and paragraph structure could use some work, I think, and I often find the descriptions somewhat lacking, but perhaps the author wishes for the story to read at the pace that it does.

Overall, I'd give it a 3/5, If, in future, the mysteries
    with Warren, Malvodo etc.
    turn out to be a bit shite, that'll drop to a 2.5, or a two.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's...ehh. Read through the first two chapters, and it wasn't horrible. The author has a grasp of spelling and punctuation, so no detraction there.

First chapter is ok, although it fails to set up the tension it attempts to portray. I got a very CSIish vibe from the second chapter, and it felt very much like bad American television in a few places.

I might be biased against H/Hr, but what I read didn't draw me in. Despite all that, it certainly isn't nearly as bad as what you might expect to find on FF.net. 3/5.

Edit: Ninja'd by the J-Men.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  5. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

lol that's new. And yeah, CSI trend will continue for a while.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

This story was awful, especially if you've read her other fics; the template is exactly the same:

1. Harry is with someone else, initially.
    2. Hermione (despite being annoyingly smarter than everyone else) has to become "damaged goods" before Harry notices her.
    3. Canada is involved, somehow.
    4. Angst, angst, angst (particularly on Harry's part).

I remember sending her a note (or pm, or review...I don't recall) once with these same complaints, and essentially saying that she couldn't expect to grow as a writer by recycling the same tired formula. She basically said "I write these stories for me" - which is the standard review-whore bullshit response.

1/5 for being a mindless time-filler.

Off-topic: "WhartonKid ?" Really, OP ? Lol.

7. Portus

Portus Heir

I didn't get far enough in to realize it was so bad. I started reading this way back when I would attempt anything H/Hr, and while I thought the mystery was well-conceived, I didn't make it past about 8 (?) chapters, iirc.

This is the formula for almost all Harmony fics, especially those that try to "fix" the canon Epilogue. When done correctly, a H/Hr fic will make my day, but they're so rare. I'd have named a boatload I thought were great maybe 3 years ago, but now? I'm sad to say I'd have a very hard time coming up with more than 4 or 5 I'd say are better than guilty-pleasure fics.

If I'm honest, I'd like to write a good, believable one, but I'm only now working up to something bigger than a one-shot. And again, if I'm honest, it's incredibly hard to make this pairing work without some well-written growth from their canon characteristics, and that takes time in-story.

8. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Portus has practically written my own thoughts on this - same with the atypical 'Harmonist'.

2/5, and that's mostly because it's generally above the drivel quality that plagues ff.net.

9. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

I'd resent that, but... we did just riot over losing to Boston.

Anyway, the story falls into the same patterns that've been mentioned above. Maybe a 2/5, but I wouldn't push it.

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

It's Harry Potter fanfiction. If I wrote numerous Hp fanfics that heavily featured Washington, D.C., I'd be deemed a *gigantic self-inserting vagina-face.

* Clarification: B.B. Ruth is a gigantic self-inserting vagina-face.

11. WhartonKid

WhartonKid Muggle

Thanks guys for the input on the story, I appreciate it.

Blaise, I choose the name once a long time ago and it always seemed to be available wherever, and it just stuck haha.

12. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    What is this? Burn this with fucking fire. If for nothing else then for the liberal use of mobile phones by everyone.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I hate to sound like a broken record...
    http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showpost.php?p=464028&postcount=26

I read through the first four chapters. It's not good. And then I looked and saw that the story has 65 chapters and is 377k words. While not really the type of story that people on this site like, exceptions are made for stories that are actually good. This is not.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Never change, Harmonians.