1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Last Mudblood by furiosity - R

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Alexx, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Alexx

Alexx Card Captored and buttsecksed

Title: The Last Mudblood
    Author: furiosity
    Rating: R
    Genre: Drama/Suspense
    DLP Category: Dark Arts
    Pairing: None
    Summary: The war is over, and Voldemort has won. Harry Potter is dead. Neville Longbottom is a Death Eater, and together with Draco Malfoy they lead a manhunt for Hermione Granger. It's really that simple. Or is it?
    Link: http://www.glass-fairytales.net/hp/lastmudblood.html

Don't be put off by the starting section, where the characterisation may seem off. It's easy to write this fic off as OOC, but once you're in, everything falls into place. This is a fic that can break your heart, twist the world that you know, and leave you shaking. 4/5

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I read what was posted- it's a well-made dystopia centered around Neville. The situation is grim but believable and the writing is competent. I was drawn into the scenes quite easily and the characterizations were quite well-done.

My problem with it is that it doesn't quite finish. Maybe I'm too hopeful for a resolution in such a story, but it feels like the first of three sections that might eventually resolve the fates of the characters. Otherwise, it's just a chronicle of the last gasp of hope in that world.

If it were truly tragic, I would have gotten the catharsis- instead I'm left hanging. Worth a look but not a winner, exactly.

3.5/5

3. Photon

Photon Order Member

What? Others were merely obliviated, on top of this it is not like Tom did anything with fact that new Muggle-born will appear. Especially in oneshot it is enough to move it from 4/5 (decent, quite interesting, no omph) to 2/5.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  4. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Great writing, good characterization especially how consorting with the enemy changes one. However, as pointed out there is no resolution.

One small trip up I had related to the "wipe their memories" rather then "kill them" plan since wiping their memories won't prevent them from doing accidental magic. Still overall well done.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Moved back into For Review because it has four stars. Further reviews needed.

6. Darth

Darth Third Year

The story lacked a real ending. It seemed almost pointless to have read it by the end. By itself, it doesn't do much except paint a bleak picture of a scattered resistance barely even existing. 2/5

There isn't a problem in just wiping their memories because as adults they don't do accidental magic any more.

7. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

It feels like more of a beginning of a proper story than a One-Shot. There was no ending, nothing close to closure, nothing. Just an extremely dark world with pretty much no real hope.

8. Vengeful Astartes

Vengeful Astartes Squib

I would give it a 3/5.

The content of this one-shot tugged at the heart stings a bit, the world was portrayed as pretty bleak and depressing. People making the best at what's left

However having said that it was lacking any solid ending or plot resolution... it kinda just dies on you.