1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Magi Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by ShadowedDarkness, Jan 23, 2006.

1. ShadowedDarkness

ShadowedDarkness Second Year

Based off any idea I have had floating around my head.

1)Harry has another sibling at the time voldemort attacks(twin or older take your pick)

2)Harry's other sibling is seen as the child-who-lived(whether it is true or not is up to you)

3)Harry's parents are NOT abusive or neglectful (I would perfer this only exception would be unintended neglect)

4)Harry is a magi (not mage)

5)Harry is not weak in magical potential

6)Harry is detected and trained by another magi at the age of 4-6(does not mean he has to leave his family). This magi is relatively young (no older than 30), and has quite a bit of power. He also is for some reason or other an outsider among the wizarding community (by choice). He is not evil. He is both dark and light, and teaches harry along these lines.

What is a magi?
    Simply put a magi is someone who is in tune with their magic and magic in general. If two people exactly the same in all other terms other than one is a magi and the other is not, then the magi will outperform the nonmagi. Its more a matter of magi being innately skilled and able to reach higher levels of skill (which is different from power)

How powerful is a magi?
    Magi could be little more than squibs, or as strong as merlin himself.

Who are magi?
    Merlin was the most famous, and perhaps most powerful magi. Others would include spell inventors, potion masters, noted warders etc.

How many magi?
    No more than 10 and no fewer than 1 magi are born every 100 years.

Magi abilities:
    One common one is with the proper training (3-6 years) or over time (by age of 20) magi can 'see' magic, they could see the ingredients in a potion interacting and with the proper mindset and experience could develop an intuitive grasp of what to add when and how to stabilize and so on (just one example, not all magi are accomplished at potions).

Will post more about the magi concept if you wish. As it is the idea is simply that magi are more aware of magic, but being a magi does not automatically make you powerful, their power is the same as other wizards from weak to strong. I can also explain about the dark/light thing if you wish. Would like to see harry fic with family where he is not tossed by the wayside as that does not seem realistic. That they may favor the CWL more is understandable but not to the point of outright neglect of other children.

2. Goddess of Ran

Goddess of Ran Sixth Year

I'm having a bit of trouble writing my own fic so I might take up this challenge just for the sake of writing something. I'll try to finish it if I can since it would be a waste if I didn't. I'll tell you when I'm done with the first chapter. :D

3. Goddess of Ran

By the way, it might take a day or two since I'd need to write down the basic plot of how things will happen. That way I won't forget what I want to put.

4. Goddess of Ran

I've got a question that's been floating around my head about being a magi. Since they're in tune with magic, do they need to be a witch or wizard to be a magi?

5. ShadowedDarkness

Forgot to mention that but I would generally say no. A magi could be any sentient species that is capable of utilizing magic. So they may seem even more rare to humans. So you could be a vampire magi, or veela magi or so on and so forth. Whether you want halfbreeds to have a higher chance of being so or not is up to you.

Any questions for specifics I will be happy to answer. Also as a note I generally view, light, dark, good, evil, as four seperate things. So something could be light and good, light and evil, dark and good, dark and evil or somewhere in between. Its just that historically good wizards would rely on light in public, and evil would use dark openly so it got associated.

Saw the prologue, nice to leave us guessing on whether or not rose is the child who lived. I could have seen the story written ethier way so figured what the author is most comfortable writing.

6. Goddess of Ran

Ok, good to hear you approve. Anyway, I'm already working on next chapter. Hopefully I'll be done in another day or two. Hard to write when you're swamped with homework.

7. ShadowedDarkness

Just staring up the semester again here, though trying to get into a last course to be fulltime burned up yesterday and today. Just write when you can, patience is a virture

8. Goddess of Ran

Haha, I know. But when I don't write and I'm not doing anything my mind wanders to my story and I end up thinking of possible events that could happen. So I guess I'm not really patient when it comes to writing stories. :p