1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Most Significant Leap in Personal Computing ?!

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Blaise, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I've been waiting for e-ink/reader technology to get significantly better (e.g., cheaper, larger screen, faster refresh rate, notation capabilites, less proprietary) as a replacement for my laptop; my phone covers all of my communication/web browsing needs, so a way to carry all of the shit that I convert to pdf files would be highly beneficial. I would've sacrificed the obvious lack of graphic capabilities, as I still do the majority of any sketching with a paper or pencil, or on a desktop.

There are few examples of touchscreen notebooks (both manufactured or commercialized hackjobs), but none of those looked like they could really replace my sketchbook.

Microsoft begs to differ:

[​IMG]

Gizmodo sez:
    Without question, this thing is fucking stunning. If Microsoft positioned the Courier as their halo product (in much the same way the iPod was Apple's) when they open their MS stores, I have no doubt in my mind that they would all but dominate the smartphone/laptop-using demographic. The only area that seems to be ignored is gaming, but that sort of thing is best left to a dedicated desktop rig IMO. Although they don't have a portable gaming platform...well, not really.

I'm really excited about this, but what do you think, DLP: does Microsoft have another hit on its hands? Should they bother?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Depends heavily on the pricetag. I'd get it, but I wouldn't break the bank for it.

3. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It will depend on the price. The Apple Tablet is expected to cost $800 to $1000, that's definitely too much for a wide spread device which isn't exactly a replacement for a notebook.

If the thing is expected to compete with netbooks, it needs to be as cheap as these. I got my netbook for €299 - and I wouldn't pay more for the tablet either.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I think it can definitely compete with netbooks. Apparently, it's going to run on a version of Windows 7 that doesn't allow for standard PC software to be installed...perhaps that "limitation" will help curb its pricing ? Maybe there'll be a Courier app store that will supplement costs. It's also rumored to be equipped with 4G, so I'd expect carriers taking some of the burden as well. Keeping the pricepoint at around $500 would be feasible, and not at all unreasonable for what the Courier can offer.

In an ideal world, the Courier would be another computing option and not a proprietary product (i.e. Dell Courier XPS, or HP EliteCourier, Asus EeCourier, etc), with ties to different 4G carriers - which would do loads to bring down the price.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Looks interesting, I'd buy it for the right price.

6. lazarus01

lazarus01 First Year

That does look nifty.

I think the pricing and popularity would result in how well Microsoft can build a support structure around it--i.e. effectively how Apple has developed the iTunes music, movie/tv, and app stores.

I would definitely buy one, especially if it had notation ability (as a student it would be amazing). I have always wondered why no company has pushed for something like this specifically for students. Combining all your books and notes into one small platform would sell huge I think.

7. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

200 quid tops. This thread is the first i've seen of this. If its anything like the iphone/ipod in terms of end user innovation, then no doubt we will be better off waiting for a a couple of versions before its anywhere near worth the price. I have the original Zune which i bought a couple of years back on a holiday to the states and whilst ive seen only one person with one in the UK, the constant updates both in firmware and hardware make me feel like a mug for buying it, which for a a product that should have some shelf life, feels like a scam. I know that within 6 months of release, there will be a smaller, refined model which is quicker and 'more accessible' and that is what puts me off what looks like a snazzy product. It is intersting though how microsoft have chosen to avoid going for the phone market. If i had this and it doubled up to make calls and txt, id have it in an instant.

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I thought about the Zune trouble as well - and MS software updates/bugs in general. Again, I'm thinking that using Windows 7 in a limited iteration (like OS X on the iPhone) will help avoid a large bit of potential bugs.

The Zune was also a gut reaction to the iPod explosion; this, by contrast, is outside anything else being done in the industry. The tech is obviously recognizable, but the application seems to have literally come out of nowhere; seems way more thought out,and MS doesn't seem like they're rushing to put it out - all signs of a higher quality product?

9. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Apple iPad

Bumping this thread because starting a new one (and on an arguably not-very-popular subject) seemed silly

Well, Apple's tablet is out. As I expected, it has the hardware/software/format that would be more than ideal over any other current portable computing device. Also expected, was Apple's reluctance to push the envelope while at the same time asking for an unnecessary premium that seems largely based on "being different." They missed out on a few key elements:

- Stylus, with input at or above the performance capabilities of Wacom graphics tablet

Should they have partnered with Wacom on this ? Maybe, maybe not; a lot of Wacom's products have issues with wear and tear, and Jobs' criticism of the need to constantly replace lost stylli or stylus parts was fair, if a bit whiney. If he truly believed in that argument, then it would mean that all future iPods would be sold without the often lost, often damaged, headphones.

- Inkwell handwriting recognition

The software, which is supposed to be very, very good, is just sitting dormant; one has to go through a whole bunch of bullshit to access the feature on their machine, so one would think it would play a pivotal role once they started producing touchscreens bigger than the iPhone/iTouch.

- Front-facing camera

No-brainer. Power button --> Big Skype Button --> talking with family = damn-near every senior citizen in the 'States as a customer.

- Google Wave app

This isn't really a criticism of Apple, as every tech company should be rushing to get their hands in Google's new client, but since Apple's positioned the iPad as a valid educational accessory (both directly, and indirectly by condemning netbooks), there should have been a lot of work done towards making Google Wave an iPad exclusive - a replacement for 'Notes', even.

What I had in mind was a partnership with universities (a la iTunesU) that released an educator-specific Google Wave application. Lecturers could then load their powerpoints, notes, outlines - whatever - into the application, which would then sync with their registered students. The students could then run the Google Wave app from their end, perhaps in a 'Presentation' or 'Lecture' Mode, which lets them automatically download the class notes as they're presented, and annotate them in real-time. Lecturers can then choose to let called-upon students edit their main presentation if they make salient points, which would then be broadcast to the other students (the current Google Wave model makes annotations a free for all, basically).

While useable on any laptop/netbook/tablet, it would've been very attractive if released with something like the iPad.

- Multi-tasking

Also a no-brainer. Even some sort of "limited multitasking," only allowing for 3-5 apps to run at the same time, would have been a huge boon. Or a method of running certain apps in a less memory intensive 'Widget' mode. The point is: it's feasible, it wouldn't sacrifice quality - yet they refuse to make it happen. There's a point where "never doing exactly what the customer wants" is sound advice, but there's a limit to everything.

- PixelQi screen

Same vein as the Google Wave app argument: while this isn't hugely necessary, marketing the iPad as an educational accessory means paying attention to certain things. In this case, eye-strain should have played a strong factor, especially as this is priced competitively against the e-ink market in general, and the Kindle DX in particular. To be fair, Pixel Qi is new; it's not as sharp as backlit LED displays are (for now), but the only areas where full HD matters aren't in the classroom. Pixel Qi's ability to run in a battery-sipping, near e-reader like mode for viewing documents would make e-ink a senseless option.

-----------------------------------------------​

In short, Apple dropped the ball on this one. Surprisingly, the only thing they did get right was the 3G option, where one could use it and cancel as they saw fit; basically eliminating the need to look for hotspots if you're in a pinch (the pricing has to come down though, and there needs to be monthly and daily options, but I'm betting that'll happen fairly soon). The whole time I was watching the Keynote, I kept coming back to the Courier. A truly serious, business-focused portable computing device doesn't exist, IMO. There are options that rate about a 6/10 or 7/10 in terms of capabilities, but lack the durability or form factor. Then there are those that are ultra-portable, but are simply too cumbersome and limited in use (i.e. all netbooks and smartphones) - mostly because they try to include features better suited on laptops or desktops to lure in more customers.

The Courier is everything a professional could want, but it's vaporware; the iPad, despite all of its shortcomings, is still very much a decent foundation. Do you think Apple's move with the iPad will be enough to spur Microsoft into action, or is this the best one can expect until another player comes around (this outfit seems prepped to outperform the iPad)?

I personally hope Microsoft comes out swinging, and soon.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  10. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, I was definitely screaming in nerdgasm when i saw the iPad, but even I have to admit that Apple could have done better. I'm going to wait until the second generation, or even better, third, of the iPad some out. I mean, look at the changes between G's of iPods. LArge enough to make the wait worth it, I hope.
    And I personally wouldn't buy any hardware that microsoft made, even something as cool looking as the Courier. Because, you know, Red Ring of Death, Zune....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  11. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The iPad was a massive fucking disappointment. Of course, everyone said exactly the same thing about the iPod when it was first released, so who knows?

Either way, I was expecting so much more from the iPad, especially with all the hype. This is also coming from a staunch supporter of Apple, so yeah.

The best thing about the iPad, imo, is the Keyboard dock, that thing would actually make things a lot easier to type on, if it was needed.

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Biggest problem with the iPad is it's completely locked down. Apple have a nasty habit of assuming their users are retards and removing their ability to control damn near anything on their products. If I buy a piece of hardware I want to be able to fuck around with it in whatever way I see fit. That, and when I first saw its name I thought it was some kind of sanitary towel. <_< Anyway, I'll be keeping an eye on the courier.

EDIT: Lolpoll is lol.

13. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Meh, I don't care about fucking around with what Hardware I have. I like the simplicity of Macs, they work, they do the job well, and they don't fuck up.

Introducing variables simply undermines the stability of the whole system. I only really use my computer for web browsing, email, watching movies/TV shows and WoW occasionally.

It does all those things just fine.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

... Apple users are retards, Oz.

15. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    This.

I love Macs for the same reason I love the Benz CL550. Elegant engineering is impressive.

What you say, Oz, about Macs is true on the hardware side, but at least the software side has been essentially open over the last decade: with OS X, a clean GUI lives atop a full-fledged BSD kernel (interfacing nicely with X Windows) and Mac has become what Linux should aspire to in terms of a marriage of quality of interface and under-the-hood power.

In this respect, the iPad is a huge step backward and disappointment. I saw a graphic the other day of an iPhone beneath the words, "iPad nano". Spot on.

@Ellisande: Despite the lack of flexibility (and like the iPhone, I'm sure they'll assrape developers for the SDK), I'd still be tempted to pick one up, since I do have a need for a limited functionality, long-battery-life Netbook and the pricing is about the same. The thing souring me, though, is the design of the keyboard dock. Every graphic I've seen has the keyboard attached to a station that mounts the iPad at a fixed angle, mounted long-way-up. This limits severely where it can be used (i.e., you can't do any serious work flying coach, which is a problem for me now with my height and my Macbook Air). Besides, who hasn't ruined a keyboard by spilling something on it. Now you get to replace a $70 chiclet-keyboard-plus-pricey-lump-of-plastic when that happens. Meh on meth.

Seriously, how hard is it to just make a USB adaptor that plugs into the docking port?

16. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Meh, I don't want a completely tinkerable tablet device - otherwise there's no point in getting one over a computer. As long as it had the features I want, I'd have been on the ipad bandwagon immediately. The Courier looks like it had pretty set parameters as well, and I'd be totally fine with that. There wasn't a single thing in the demo videos indicating multitasking (or even entertainment lol), but they highlighted the experience and key features so well that I doubt it'd matter.

If I had to pick which items or experiences a tablet/slate device should dominate, in a nutshell, it'd be:

- Sketchbooks
    - notebooks/legal pads
    - video chat
    - textbooks
    - social networking/instant messaging
    - portable video players (optional)

@Sree: don't be a tit, man. Heard it all before, so give a real opinion instead. You're still in school: do you think you could've used an iPad to replace your texts/notes/documents? Does the category of computer even matter, whether they (or anyone else) get it right or not?

@Pers: External keyboard kinda ruined it for me, tbh. I kinda get the vision with the iPad (and the Courier, based on the name alone): you just take it and go. No buying laptop bags or laptop sleeves or laptop docks; no external hard drives for extra space, no power adapter blocks taking up space in your bag. I was surprised they even made the keyboard dock, given how much they want users to bounce around with the thing...

If they don't have stylus/handwriting recognition by June, I'll eat my hat. It just makes more sense than any sort of keyboard input.

In other news: Steve Jobs apparently accused Adobe Flash of being "lazy" in their criticism of the iPad, and should instead focus on fixing their buggy/processor-robbing format. I doubt anyone disagrees with that (Adobe is on that bullshit), but shouldn't the ability to run Flash content on the device be the customers' choice?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

:|

Anything I say is obvious and has been said before. I'm lazy, goddamnit, stop forcing me to type shit.

The iPad is just a big iphone/ipod touch. It's also more expensive if you want 3G coverage. In addition to that, you're going to have to pay monthly for 3G service, with no option to tether it to your phone or anything like that.

One of the biggest things? It has no flash.

The biggest thing? No fucking multitasking.

It has a virtual keyboard, so I don't even know how anyone will touch type with it. Taking it to class and trying to take notes? Hell no. The keyboard takes up half the screen when in use, also. They sell a hardware keyboard as an accessory... but that's kinda stupid to take around to class with you.

It has no USB ports, and no webcam.

I have no idea what market they're trying to sell it to. The e-reader market? Netbook market? Either way, it'll be lackluster in both. Touchscreens are an everyday thing now, it's nothing special or fancy.

It doesn't have e-ink, so if anybody buys this primarily for an e-reader they are fucking retarded. The books will probably have some shitty DRM because, of course, it's Apple. Even the Nook, badly reviewed as it is, is a better choice. Not to mention the only one that could compete with the Kindle/Nook would be the one with 3G, and that one is twice as expensive as getting one of those readers. Not to mention the battery life. Yeah, for a netbook it has a decent battery life. But for an e-reader? Those things last for weeks. This thing will last for less than a day.

With netbooks you can multitask. They have USB ports. VGA ports. HDMI ports. With usual Apple greed, they're forcing you to pay for accessories to have these. These are necessary things (well, not the HDMI, but that's almost becoming standard nowadays) yet you have to shell out extra dough for them.

18. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

The things with Macs just working? They fucking cheat. It's easy to make something that 'just works' when you've got almighty fiat over what's made for it. Show me an operating system that can tie together billions of combinations of hardware and trillions of combinations of software and then I'll be impressed.

Oh wait. It's called every other OS on the market.

Apple products are reliable and elegant because Apple go out of their way to make sure there's fuck-all options for any of their products.

19. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

As someone who owns a netbook, I can say there is very little reason that thing would replace my netbook. My netbook is better at just about everything, well playing games is a bit iffy but that is NOT WHY I OWN A NETBOOK!

20. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

I already have an ereader and a laptop -- the iPad would make a poor replacement for either of them. If I were in the market for one, I'd probably choose a netbook instead.

The only people who've really been raving over it and writing hyperbolic articles about how it's a game changer are die-hard Apple fans.

I think it will sell well enough to be dubbed a success just based on the hype, but the real test will be when the next generation comes out and it has some competition. I'm definitely not feeling any urge to be an early adopter on this one.