1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Power He Knows Not by Steelbadger - T - HP/LotR

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Steelbadger, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I'm getting the warm and fuzzies. I got a TaureRant! (Totally deserves the capital letter)

As I'm pretty sure my OP suggested I agree with basically all the points. Especially the love Patronus. I pretty much cringed as I wrote it if I'm honest (and then I was confused it didn't get lambasted). By that point though I kinda felt like I'd made some pretty big missteps and wanted to wrap the story up.

I think you don't make enough of an issue of the narrative. It is crafted to conform, basically, to the image that people who haven't read the books have of the books. LotR nerd-wank is added pointlessly (and out of character, Harry shouldn't have any knowledge of the deep history of Lord of the Rings) because it makes it look more like Tolkien upon cursory examination. I like nerd-wank but it was rather egregious.

I think I was about 2/3rds of the way through when I realised just how much of a clusterfuck the narrative was. It started as an experiment in melding HP and Tolkien styles but it completely got away from me. It isn't framed in the same way as Tolkien and that's the biggest problem. Tolkien can merge 3rd limited and omniscient because it's being written as a legend by the participants (or children of the participants) after the fact. I did not frame this fic in that way, thus it makes no sense.

However, as the fic was begun with the primary intent of being finished I didn't stop. I just rolled with it. It never would have gone anywhere if I tried to fix it to make it 'good' as I don't think that way of introducing Harry could ever lead to an objectively 'good' story.

The plot is formulaic and very contrived (I mean, come on, 10 years and he knows nothing except the language? How the fuck did he manage that?). But ultimately that's an accusation that can be levelled at almost any crossover ever. Given how little real planning this fic received (it was basically written over the course of one week except for the final three chapters) it could have been much worse.

The romance was extremely rushed. This fic came into being originally because I asked myself 'why isn't Harry/Éowyn a thing?'. Problem was the point at which I inserted Harry into the story (which is pretty much all I did) didn't allow for much romance to actually happen. Poorly thought out, but at least it kept it small enough to finish.

So, yeah. I didn't rate it myself cos that's a bit silly. But if I were to rate it it would sit at a 3.5 somewhere. Rounded down if it wasn't basically the only completed HP/LotR fic, but as it is I think more choose to round it up.

Hence the 3.something score it's getting here. I was surprised by the response to it to be honest. This is the first thing I've ever written that's more than 15k words.

You know, this never would have happened if you'd kept writing your own thing.

2. Spennig

Spennig Squib

High Score:
    I found the story an interesting twist, as generally I trip over crossovers with "Harry as the immortal Master of Death" ends up with an elf. I liked the idea that while he was longer lived, he was still human and still died down the road.

I enjoyed the story, though it did seem like Harry swung between overpowered (or just different enough to seems such) and "here, you can kick off imperio, and you're unusual enough that they shouldn't be able to catch you with the ring that easy" sides.

Overall, a good one, kept me interested.

3. Darkenmal

Darkenmal Muggle

I really enjoyed this fic. While there were some misspellings and the fic felt slightly rushed, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Steelbadger should be commended for his emulation of Tolkien's voice as well. While not perfect, it is still an admirable effort that bumped up my score from a 3.5 to a solid 4.

4/5.