1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Prince Who Was Promised by cxjenious - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Cxjenious, May 30, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

I'm minded of the fact that whenever Melisandre worked magic through a man's seed (stannis' shadow babies) and blood that it took a great toll on the man in question. It makes me wonder what Harry's sacrifice will be through Aeryn's spell and more what he'll do when he feels the effects of it (which should be pretty much right away if stannis is any guide).

2. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Oh and cxjenious: when will we find out what's written on that scrap of parchment, and how badly Aeryn screwed the pooch forgetting about it?

My guess's:

*Someone representing the red faith trying to contact him
    *Varys sending a message/threat
    *Marwyn, the Maester that specializes in magic sending a message.

3. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Can someone speculate on the prophecies? I cant seem to get them.

4. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I'll try not to let you down.

He'll feel it, but he's 'stronger' than Stannis - you know, magic and all.

You'll find out in the next chapter.

5. Swamp

Swamp First Year

I'm betting that the message is the symbol of the Deathly Hallows.

6. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I would bet on the symbol of Deathly Hallows. What better way to screw with Harry's mind than showing him a symbol from his memories? And those memories have a simple message - that, this symbol is important, but Harry can't remember why.

I liked yandere!Aeryn and I hope to see how bad this entire magical ritual, that she prepares, will painfully bite Harry in the ass.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I don't think it will bite him much. Sure it will be a little hurtful for him, but mostly it will be Aeryn that will be in trouble after using it. Even if the only thing that she will need to deal with is angry and feeling betrayed Harry. And there could be some serious intimacy issues between them considering what she used for the ritual.

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I should preface this with, "Raylene could be full of steaming pig shite."

Myrielle's foretelling seems fairly straightforward.

Red Flower Vale and Sweet Lotus Vale are both locations on the island of Jhala in the Summer Isles.

There are a few obvious paths for Myrielle to become a "princess, maybe queen" of that place.

Myrielle could marry Jalabhar Xho in KL, becoming a princess-in-exile I suppose. She might become queen if Jalabhar Xho reclaims his lands. Red Flower Vale was the seat of Jalabhar's power.

Myrielle could marry into the family which currently rules in Jhala.

Myrielle could marry into a family which decides to conquer Jhala.

Relevant:

Cerenna's foretelling is a bit harder.

If there's no alternate meaning, then it means that Cerenna weds whoever comes to rule Casterly Rock. That could be Tywin, Harry, Tyrion, or someone else altogether. There's no guarantee that Harry will become Lord of Casterly Rock.

Sea of golden roses. Maybe it indicates Cerenna being surrounded by blonde Lannisters without a black-haired Harry Baratheon in sight.

The Tyrell's sigil is a golden rose on a green field. Lady of the Rock in a sea of Tyrells?

It could be a description of Cerenna's funeral, with her body laid out on golden roses.

I'm very unsure when it comes to Cerenna's foretelling.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, I didn't find Myrielle's foretelling to be obvious at all given that I didn't remember a damned thing about the Summer Isles or Xho. ;)

Good info all around, Yak, thanks.

10. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Very well put, yak.

11. Peace

Peace High Inquisitor

When Cerenna and Myrielle were having their futures told was anyone else reminded of Cersei having her future told and how it turned out completely different to her interpretation?

12. LilC16

LilC16 Second Year

In the books, Cersei's prophecy has been spot on so far.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

What were all of the prophecies Maggy made w.r.t. Cersei? I don't have my books, but what I remember is that she'd marry and be engaged in infidelity even as her king was, and that she'd outlive all her children. Was there another prophecy? I vaguely remember something about being succeeded? by a more beautiful queen.

14. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

15. guy26412

guy26412 Squib

I really liked Aeryn until this chapter. I know you didn't mean for it to come across like she is drugging Harry, that much is apparent with her turning down the love potion, but that is exactly what it felt like to me. If in previous chapters you had Harry admit to having romantic feelings for her it wouldn't be as creepy, but the fact that just last chapter he said he harbored none makes it seem that the reason he's jumping her bones is because of the tea she gives him, not because he harbors feelings for her. Also Aeryn felt like an overall positive character that was using faith (and puppy love) in Harry to move past the horrible horrible thing that happened to her in previous chapters; in this she feels flat out villainous. If that was your intention then well done; if not then the overall tone of the chapter should probably be re-worked so that she comes across as less delusional, hateful and possessive. All that said that's only my opinion on the interlude and I eagerly await Cersei's POV as she was one of my favorite POV's in the books.

*Quick Edit- Just wanted to point out that I like Ayern's character much more now, I just don't like her.

16. yak

Viewtiful's Westeros.org link is a good one, but I think the original text provides a better picture of how Cersei interpreted the prophecy.

Valonqar is High Valyrian. It translates to "little brother" according to a maester Cersei consulted, which is why she loathes Tyrion more than most.

17. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

When did he say that?

18. guy26412

guy26412 Squib

My mistake, I guess I was reading to much into him telling everyone she isn't his woman. Guess its time to re-read the story so I don't misremember stuff.

19. yak

Regarding Maggy's prophecy:

It's confirmed that valonqar means "little brother" - at least in TV series 'verse. I'd always wondered if the maester got it wrong, was taught incorrectly, or if perhaps the literal interpretation of the words was different to their actual meaning. According to David J. Peterson, the fellow who created the Dothraki and High Valyrian languages for the GoT TV series, 'valonqar' means 'little brother'. He went on to create other words to describe kinship relationships.

valonqar - younger brother
    lēkia - older brother
    hāedar - younger sister
    dubys - sibling

You can learn more than you ever wanted to know about High Valyrian Vocabulary here: http://wiki.dothraki.org/dothraki/High_Valyrian_Vocabulary

20. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I've had that one bookmarked for a while. The difficulty comes in trying to construct a sentence from all that. Fucking noun cases and verb conjugation and adjectives - one of you really smart people should learn it so you can translate stuff for me.

Not open for further replies.