1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The 'R' Series By Regulus - T - HP/NT

Discussion in 'Romance' started by Antivash, Sep 15, 2005.

1. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

Odd, its the whole reason I am reading it... :p

2. Seraphym

Seraphym First Year

I like the fluff because it adds to the character of Harry. A lot of problems I see with some Dark!Harry stories is that Harry acts as if everything he does is for some greater evil purpose. I apreciate that the author is working on making him dark in a progressive manner. I mean the kid is only in his third year, and yeah he's got a bit of a darkside, but he still has the full range of human feelings.

We may murder and maime, but at the end of the day we all just want to have a nice hug.

3. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

4. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I found it interesting... He is right, the snake is overused... But he manages to actually make it into a character instead of an accessory, which is rare.

Overall I like the start of the book, and look forward to reading more.

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Hrmmm... isnt it strange that the new chapter of my story introduces the exact type of snake, the Inland Australian Taipan or Fierce Snake... bloody strange, though it isnt blue like his.

Anyway, good chapter.

6. Xman

Xman Muggle

7. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Ah, the link didn't exactly work for me....

8. Xman

Xman Muggle

That's funny... It's working fine now.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

11. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

Well, wasn't that spinoff just a bucket of sunshine? I don't think it could get any more depressing. I'm severly hoping that the spinoff is just an AU Story line...

12. Roguelyvisage

Roguelyvisage First Year

erm

looks like they have the 4th book AU started by this author up now.
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2845160/1/

Please read the thread and all its posts before adding something thats already been posted in the future.

~DS

13. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

It's kinda late to be adding this now, but I was wondering what everyone thought of the Gaiden:Fallen story. I thought it pretty good, and especially liked the end of it. The cave bit added a kewl twist..

14. MrMucus

MrMucus Groundskeeper

May 1, 11:37PM

R-series is on indefinite hiatus.

Sorry to everyone who's kept with me so far. I'm not having a fun time writing, though. It's a chore. It's a huge, huge chore and I just don't want to do it anymore. So as of right now, I doubt I'll continue any of it. Anyone who feels like it can take a stab at doing so themselves. I dunno if I'll ever continue or not, but I doubt it. It's taken me so long just to get to the start of book 4. And I feel like everything blurs together anyway. There's no point to keep writing it.

Thanks to those of you who've reviewed. But anyone who saw my past works should know - I have a bad habit of dropping fics when I get sick of them. This, sadly, is one of those times.

Goodbye and thank you again.

By Regulus

Just thought you people would like to know.....

15. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah, that sucks. GoF was my favorite of them all and I was really looking forward to this one, especially since he was starting to go dark and everything... lets just hope that sometime in the future he continues it.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I was actually just finishing COS - Reopened when I saw this notice... And for me, it's not shame at all this got abandoned. The only comment I can offer regarding that is - it's about time he gathered the courage to pull the plug.

It was obvious that Regulus had lost dirrection of the R-series even before the end of the first book - everything after that was following canon scene by scene and making them "cooler", while daydreaming about what he'll do once he reaches 5th and 6th year... Not that this story was something to begin with.

It seems that this author's biggest failing as a writer is his habit of forcing the plot and events to fit into this mould he had stubornly set up in the beggining of the series, but which still is nothing more than a pumped-up version of Rowlings' canon. Thus, what should have been a prankster/smart!Harry saga with dark and angsty overtones (judging by the beggining of PS-Retransmuted), quickly turned into a painstaking crawling through Rowling's books scene by scene, only with more gore, some 'witty' banter between characters (which gets old really quick) and admittably nice OC character, with an interesting mystery sub-plot, that was eventually ruined by streching it on into infinity...

Even worse, the whole triology is filled with ridiculous plot decisions and at times completely unconsistent and surreal characterisation. I mean, this Harry seems much smarter, knowledgable and more powerful then the canon one, but in the end, everything falls down exactly like in Rowling's books. There's no surprises, no real twists... even though Harry knows that Ginny is responsible for the basilisk and Lockheart is a sham, Harry will still wait until the last week of the term and then go seek out Lockheart to help him out... And then, this would-be independant and smart character is sent back to the Dursleys, where he turns into a stupid, submissive bitch and gets beaten within the inch of his life...

And why would Ravenclaw!Harry, with power, knowledge and friends on his side act this way? Why wouldn't he inform Dumbledore about Ginny, or call child services, or tell Dumbledore to go fuck himself when he tries to send him there? Simple. Because the author had decided that Harry WILL get abused by the Dursleys and that the plot WILL follow the canon and that's it. No common sense or rules of logical behaviour would change his mind. You can almost feel the author's invisible hand directing the events towards his preset conclusion and there's nothing any character can do to change it, no matter how determined or smart or independant they appeared to be...

Meh, I never wanted to rant so much, but this story is just SO FUCKING FRUSTATING. It appears to be independent and even dark, but in the end, it's just another rewrite of the canon - yes, all scenes and events are changed, but the big picture still stays the same. Good ridance, I say.

17. Regress

Regress Guest

Have to agree with ip82 on this one.

I tried reading the R-series a while back, but I just couldn't keep it up. I've read too many like this, I can't stand reading the same damned plot over and over and over ad infinitum. It was like watching a really bad movie with no proper plot (And not like Monty Python where it's funny or cool). I could read it, the writing style itself wasn't too bad, but I just wasn't enjoying it. I ended up bookmarking the chapter I left off on, and never went back to it.

18. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

To All those interested Regulus has decided to continue these stories and has uploaded chpters 4 & 5 of GoF Rekindled.

19. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

I must agree with IP there, it's the retelling of canon but with other friends because they are "cooler". No real new thing, the characterisation is mediocre at best, and i end up being bored. i abandonned the serie at the end of year one, and i find that i don't look forward to reading it. There are quite a few better stories that are like that, so...

20. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Ah well he has to do some things the same or else its not HP but yeah it does get old after awhile, but I think it starts to split from the books this year or year 5.