1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Rebel and the Chosen by chelseyb1010 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Scott, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Title: The Rebel and the Chosen
    Author: chelseyb1010
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance/Drama
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: Harry/Tonks
    Chapters: 38
    Words: 179,807
    Updated: September 11, 2011
    Published: February 13, 2011

Summary: When Tonks and Harry meet, they quickly become friends. When tragedy brings them together again, it could develop into more. Age and war are only two of the obstacles in their way. Harry/Tonks. A/U. Rating for language, violence, and sexual situations.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6740130/1/The_Rebel_and_the_Chosen

4/5 from me. Interesting take on Harry/Tonks from the beginning of ootp. Tonks may be slightly ooc but it's still pretty good and we're not given enough in-canon for anyone to make a solid-canon Tonks (at least I think, haven't read the books in ages).

14 chapters already and just actually getting into the 'From friendship, to relationship' part. Fluff is here as usual but not overly done and she
    kills off Sirius lol poor guy dying in every fic...

Checked by Minion, June 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  2. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

This is a pretty decent read, so far, but I have to say that putting it up for review seems a bit premature to me.

Even though we're 14 chapters in, the only things that've really happened are Sirius' death, fluff (and a moment or two of angst) between Harry and Tonks, and an argument between Tonks and Mrs. Weasley about giving Harry and company a day out of Grimmauld.

The only downside so far is that major events follow the Order of the Phoenix plot exactly. Meaning there's nothing really new or innovative.

The writing itself is solid, and the story is enjoyable. Especially if you like Honks tales. I won't rate it just yet, but I will say that fans of the pairing should give it a read.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I put this up in the AR thread about 5 chapters back. I think its good enough to read and enjoy, but I wouldn't rate it above a 7/10. Better than a lot of stories out there though.

4. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

^
    So far we've got a lot of chapters, but not a lot of substance. The relationship building has been nice, but that's all that's happened. It feels very much like we're still in the early stages of the fic. I'm not comfortable rating it yet.

And for the love of god, it's canon not cannon.

5. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of a fanfic, but this story is boring. I read fanfiction to be entertained, not to cure my insomnia - I feel like I'm stuck in a Groundhog Day scenario, I've seen this same fic over and over and over and over and suddenly I begin to remember why I don't read ship!fics.

The writing is bare bones, the characterizations are bare bones, the plot is OotP with Honks as a side-dish. It's... boring. Lackluster. Tedious. Dull. A snooze - take your pick. I'm not charmed. I know I can't point any fingers here, but at fourteen chapters? There should be something here I can sink my teeth into.

Eh, maybe it's just me. Maybe the problem here is I'm anticipating a steak dinner when I'm standing in line at McDonalds. I guess I shouldn't be disappointed when I end up with over-processed mystery meat.

2/5

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  6. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

ship!fic characterizes the story exactly. There is no meaningful plot idea besides this focus on establishing some flawed pairing visible. For some people that seems to be enough though.

7. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Good enough to read. Too bad for the library. 2,5/5

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

So far, I'd give it a 3/5. It has a few nice moments, and I like Tonks. And yeah, there's no really new plot, but I don't think that's the idea. It's simply a light, kinda-fluffyish tale set in Canon OotP with a different pairing. As such, it's decent; if you expect more, you end up with Swimdraconian's reaction.

@Scott: You forgot the pairing tag. ('Edit Tags', on the lower right. Not the 'Tags' link on left side).

Edit: Cheers.

9. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Yes sir, I fixed it. I was high.

Added the tags, knew I was forgetting something else, thanks. And that's what I thought of the fic, it wasn't suppose to be heavy, plot-wise like other fics.

10. h2o

h2o Professor

I'm with Sesc on this one. I quite enjoyed the story even if it is a OotP rehash of sorts. Nothing new really but its a bit fluffy and a light read, I'm not the biggest Honks fan but I find myself rooting for em' in this fic.

3/5 with the potential for more if it breaks away from the OotP storyline. The author could use another Beta tho.

11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Pretty much any and all comments I could make here have already been stated by other reviewers.

Barely (as in scraping by the skin of its teeth) 3/5, for me.

12. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well I loved it. Seriously, this is so much better than The summer of change. The only person that seems even slightly OOC is Harry himself. NOt that I'm complaining, Harry can be quite a boring character at times.

5/5

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Way too barebones. The romance is done well enough I guess, but there's not even nearly enough substance.

2/5

14. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

New chapter's out. Harry's stupidity is beyond words.

15. Cinduri

Cinduri Squib

Latest chapter made Harry so far beyond likeable that I'm not really sure what to say. He showed an impressive lack of understanding for anything at all. The story though has some bright points and a fairly acceptable progress of the relationship at time. 2,5/5

16. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Uh-oh, following HBP way too closely, methinks.

Gone down to 2/5 for me.

17. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

I sort of get where the author is coming from, meaning that nobody really believed Harry when he mentioned that Draco was up to something. He never really reacted to that because of Dumbledore's death, so using this plot point to generate conflict isn't that bad of an idea in my opinion.

But Harry's stupidity during this argument was completely over the top and appeared to be forced in order to introduce at least some kind of problems in their relationship.

So yeah, pretty disappointed right now.

18. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I wasn't impressed with this one when I read it a week or so back. I think it would have been a much more interesting story if Bellatrix actually killed Tonks.

I think this one will become a guilty pleasure fic for some members as it is a rare pairing and it's well-written according to modern DLP's standards, but the author doesn't know if it wants this story to be a fluff or angst fic and Harry is just remarkably dry and boring. Tonks' character is not bad if you take away the stupid clumsiness she displays (which is typical of Harry/Tonks fics) and the simple fact their relationship develops like a bad bladder.

And sudden, forceful shitting is what this story reminds me of.

2/5

19. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

You'd prefer Harry to be a necrophiliac?

20. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I don't think that this one chapter is enough to ruin the story or make me consider it a guilty pleasure.

I'm not a big fan of Harry in this story, but so far the romantic interaction has made it worthwhile, and if the author can manage the rest of the story as well as previous chapters then we'll likely be rec'ing this to people in the future.

I know that when I was 16 I thought I was the shit. I was always right and nobody's opinions or thoughts mattered but my own, I was especially bad when I actually WAS right.

Harry is all over the place emotionally, sort of like a teenager. Dating a chick in her twenties doesn't suddenly make him any older than he actually is, and I think a few of you are expecting a level of maturity that he quite frankly doesn't have.

Not everyone can (or chooses to) write a logical forward thinking Harry. Clearly this author has decided to keep him a little closer to his canon self... which when you think about it, is one of the reasons a great many of us read fanfiction in the first place, because we can't stand canon-Harry.

This has always been one of my favorite ships, but I can see why people avoid writing it.

As someone Tonks' age, I cannot imagine dating a 16 year old.