1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Sealed Kunai by Kenchi618 - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Trig, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Title: The Sealed Kunai
    Author: Kenchi618
    Rating: M
    Pairings: N/A
    Chapters: 69
    Words: 669,987
    Updated: August 20, 2013
    Published: June 14, 2010

Summary: What if something made Naruto the dead-last that everyone sees him as? What if he really wasn't as weak as he seemed? The true Naruto, unleashed upon the shinobi world! AU Story starts at Invasion of Konoha arc and continues onwards.
    The Sealed Kunai

I can't believe nobody posted this before. This is in my opinion the first reasonable Child-Prodigy!Naruto in which he isn't an unemotional drone or completely obliterating everybody else. The circumstances additionally explain his skill level and the drastic change in character he undergoes.
    I could go on and on about why I like this fic so much, but I probably wouldn't do it justice, so have fun.

4/5

Checked by Minion, August 21, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Nemo

Nemo Second Year

First thought: oh Christ the Kyuubi is calling him 'kit' and being all nicey-nice. It's gonna be one of those 'fics.

Then I thought about it for a second. The author hasn't mentioned it at all, but if anybody in Konoha can make the Kyuubi sit and roll over it's probably Danzo, so it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Also, re: Guy and Lee:

:awesome

It's full of annoying cliches, so I should hate it. But it's entertaining enough that I'm reading it anyway. I'm conflicted. So, 3/5 from me unless it takes a sudden nosedive into fail.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The writing isn't bad, but the story is pretty damn bland. Nothing but showing off how superior Naruto while he sighs and makes snarky comments about how bad the other person is.

I lost interest around the ninth chapter. It just seems to be a rehash of the canon storyline with Naruto being overpowered and "witty."

4. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well, I've been following this story for the past few weeks and I've enjoyed it as far as its gone.

Granted that all the cool!Naruto stuff in the beginning is a bit gratuitous and there are a fair number of cliches in the story - it does follow canon closely until Tsunade's return as Godaime Hokage, after all.

But it really deviates from canon after about the 11th chapter.
    Naruto stays and fights Kimimaro for revenge and sends Lee (and later Gaara) off to fight the defecting Sasuke. Of course the dreaded Council rears its head but this is fan-fiction, so I suppose it comes with the territory; and it wasn't even very unreasonable.

He's promoted to chunin as well, so instead of gallivanting off to parts unknown getting dodgy training from a pervert (that's canon), he goes on a few interesting missions, finds Uzushiogakure, fights Sasori by himself and well...just read the rest, you'll find out.
    All in all, well done. 4/5

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  5. silvers

silvers Squib

The story is decent but can get really annoying. I think the author tries too hard to make Naruto cool. It came to the point where I just started rolling my eyes whenever Naruto talked or did anything. The dialogue is also very irritating to read at times as well, especially between Naruto and Sai in later chapters.

It was always Naruto-senpai this or Sai-kouhai that. They would always use that to refer to each other. The repetitiveness of it got really annoying fast........I thought they were gay for each other at one point. I stop reading during their arc in whirlpool.

3/5

6. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Reviving this thread.

While this is a guilty pleasure fic, it isn't afraid of changing things completely.

Naruto has a sharingan, got into a three way battle with Sasuke and Itachi, and Sasuke was killed, his eyes implanted into Itachi. Konoha is entering into alliances with water and lightning, things like that.

7. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I liked the concept of a ROOT!Naruto as their is only one other decent one of those- and that is at about five chapters long- but I agree with the above posts that it's mostly a guilty pleasure to read.

8. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

Writing is decent, there are some cliché, but on the other hand there aren't many better Naruto fan fiction, who are regularly updated. 3/5
    Plus one, for root!naruto, there should be more fics with Danzo, root and Naruto - fantastic combination. 4/5
    That being it's always bring smile to my face when I see update. Present action with Itachi losing his light and falling to darkness is awesome. It's always Sasuke kills Itachi, or Orochimaru win with Sasuke and posses his body! Uchiha Itachi is my favourite Naruto character, so more action with him is always equal to better fiction for me!
    Next half point, for updating regularly and not abandoning fic, when there are some worse reviews or opinions. Otherwise for guts and never giving up:)! Overall 4.5/5

9. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

So this finally finished.

I've noticed that most of Kenchi's stories get a bad rap because when he started out he sucked horribly but posted enough to get noticed and now people tend to focus on the leftovers from his writing style of back then but I actually Liked this. It was well worth the read/wait.

In fact even though I should give this a 4/5 I want to give this 5/5. So I will.

That's it, no gigantic review to offset the necro, just posting my rating and letting you all know it's finally finished epilogue and everything.

10. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Tried to read this sometime last year. I remember forcing my way through the chapters and outright skipping several of them after I was told - repeatedly - that it got better later on. My efforts went unrewarded.

It'd be generous to call it a guilty pleasure. 2/5

11. Brukel

Brukel Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I enjoyed it at times. It's not particularly polished, but it manages to be readable unlike most others of it's type. Granted I haven't finished it and doubt I ever will, but if you've got nothing better to do then there are plenty of worse things to read.
    If you want God Mode, smash them all, then this is what you want to read. It has numerous problems but i'd attribute them more to the genre rather than any failing on the author's part.
    3/5 it's tolerable but very much YMMV.

12. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Honestly, I find this to be Kenchi's worst fic by a large margin. It started when he was terrible as a writer and the choices he made back then constrained what he could do with the story. I'd rate the sealed kunai a 2.5/5, and that's only if you are a fan of stompy god mode Naruto fics, its a guilty pleasure story for people who enjoy that genre but not for the rest of us.

If you want to read anything of his, go read his newest stuff as it lacks a good majority of the flaws his earlier work had. Hell, I've been debating putting up History's Strongest Shinobi up for review for the last little while since its a really good attempt at blending the two worlds in a rather original manner. It's probably one of my favorite Naruto stories at the moment despite some of the general writing flaws Kenchi still has.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

There was actually some conflict after a little while. I forget when Kenchi started introducing it, but while his Naruto only really lost fights a couple times, he tended to get his ass kicked when fighting strong opponents.

That said, there are a ton of things I disliked about this story. It was a harem story for no particularly good reason (even introducing original characters to make the harem bigger), there was a ton of filler, and I really dislike stories where Naruto has a super special weapon or a Sharingan; by the end of it, this story's Naruto had both. Several of the characters were given some measure of importance (for the harem, I guess) but wound up not being utilized particularly well or, really at all in the grand scheme of things. I'm trying to think of what - if anything - Tayuya actually added to the story (for example), and I'm honestly not coming up with much.

So, yeah. The story is actually readable and eventually had some combat with real conflict, but it had a lot that I didn't terribly care for. 2.5/5, rounded up to 3/5.

14. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Yeah, this is the story that Kenchi says he can't read the first 20 chapters without cringing himself. It does get better as his writing level improves, but it's something I can never being myself to read through

15. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem I have with this (and honestly, all of the Kenchi fics ever) is that the author's afraid to have real conflict.

Conflict is not Something Bad Happens And It is Fixed By This Time Period. That's stale and artificial. Conflict is probably closer to when Something Bad Happens And The Author Is As Much At A Loss As To How To Fix This Because He Is Not The Character, in my view.

No matter what happens, you can count of fix!fic to come out.

And harems.

In short, this is a harem fix!fic.

Do not into.

1.5/5, for dedication.

---------- Post automerged at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Also, you can play the often-hilarious pick a random line and cringe with this fic. Bold for the lulz.

These are not the Wind Chakras you are looking for.