1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Shannara Chronicles

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Tapi, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

It's not horrible, it's just not very good either.

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I don't know how this much effort can be put into something and for it to be fucked up so badly on so many levels. My sister and I had a laugh heckling our way through the pilot episode but it's just so cheesy, so predictable and cliché.

The writing is just terrible.

3. Lina

Lina Squib

I tried to be open and watched every episode so far but the dialogues continued to get worse- I think that it actually had some potential to become better than the books- well there's that... I'm wondering how long that show is going to run until it will be cancelled...

4. syed

syed Supermod

Sorry about bumping an old thread but a cool idea came to me about the books so I thought I could post it here. Apologies if it spoils anything. Truthfully, am watching the show just for the special effects my self.

Before the tree, the five sets of stones kept the armies of void at bay some how. When 4 of them were lost, the tree was used as a permanent solution. But the thing is it still dies. It can be reborn but is it me and it is living shorter life spans? So there is a risk of it failing completely one day. What would happen if the next chosen carrying the seed, was also carrying all five sets of stones?
    They are elven magic so why would it reject it. A misuse of the stones created the wish song, which I suspect showed what the other stones could possibly do.
    The tree and the five sets of stones could be a planned permanent way to deal with demons. While the offensive power of the stones would be useful, the five different skills would be what is important. We don't know much, but each is different and blue give the power to find. Imagine if the tree could locate every creature of void and dark magic. So no longer just limited to the preset demons when binding them away. And this is just one ability. The other four used on such a large scale would be epic. The stones are seen to be used for up close battle but the blue can search the world, so they could cover the four lands.
    The stones draw power from the elf, but the seed gathered power from the blood fire, the power of the earth. A joining would be truly powerful. I could see a silver tree, with red leaves but emitting five colored types of flames, warm but harmless to the touch.

I wonder if they found the depowered loden and took it to the blood fire, could it be restored? Lots of things could be moved, the stone King could be replaced bu the castle who hides things. The angry spirit by itself in a pond could be move to the shades horn. The tanequil could be moved to the realm of the elves, they would love another magic tree.
    Those ship crystal react with magic, so I wonder how they would react to elf stones, it could be very cool.
    I have a theory that the tanequil was involved in the creation of the ellcrys, but living sentient trees, one was able to enter a world guarded by the other, it knew of elven magic, each took human sacrifices. My theory is that the Tanequil helped to create the first seed.

In the books, the big evils are always destroyed. The list contains the Ildatch, the skull bearers, the walkers, the shadowed, the Morgrawr. Most minions die but some escape. The only surviving big evils are the stone King and the demons. To ensure he is never a threat again, either move his home to the island or forbidden. The demons need to be permanently dealt with or the world will be stuck in a cycle of destruction.
    To me the forbidden is weakening, it did not last that long before it had to be reborn, and the demons and corrupted Druids were able to breach it, long before the enchantments failed. My guess is that due to the change of elves from purely fairie creatures to a race of man has forced the spell to change. Sort of like how the wish song has been altered over the generations, due to the thinking and increase of elven blood. The tree might have been created but it is a living entity, capable of growth and change, and each chosen added to it, gives it more. The latest was training to be a Druid,, I wonder if she is at all linked to Paranormal or the shades horn now, like other Druids. Imagine the effects a true Druid chosen would have on the tree, touched by their power, forever linked to their keep and that cursed lake. The tree might be affected, but would the order itself be altered by this link. A Druid that is a tree. Would it make all Druids chosen? Could they access the forbidden inn? Can the tree use the Druid sleep?

Grianne was once the Ard Rys, she has elven blood and could be close to a faerie creature. If she can get all five sets of stones and the dark wand, a living piece of the tanequil, then join with the tree using the seed. Introducing these talisman, makes me think of the forging process involved in the sword of shannara. A Druid, someone carrying elven royal blood, five sets of elf stones, a wand from a living tree and a magical seed combining together to form a permanent solution. It would be fitting for an Ohmsford to be the one to end the threat of demons forever. And it allows the wish song yo be involved.

The thing is the demon issue will be Dealt with anyway. With the introduction of sky ships and crystal weaponry, a mortal army of men could have the capability of destroying the enemy. Especially since the wish song, and possibly the elf stones react so well with the crystal system. It makes me believe the crystals most definitely have some kind of minor magical aspect. If the of stones work with them, it would confirm the ideas as their offensive magics only affect magic.
    I just had an epic idea, the black stone drains magic. What if it was integrated into a sky ship, so when crystal weaponry fired on it, it drained it and sent the power to its own crystal system. A sky ship immune to crystals would be amazing.

I was thinking about the collection of faerie artifacts in the forbidden, where the elf stones are likely to be. What if in the future, Druids not only took these items but exchanged them for the artifacts of dark magic that are sealed in the keep? Like the one those farmers found that turned them into man eating beasts to be dealt with by the high Druid blade. The idea tha magic/evil/power can never be truly destroyed is shown in the books. So placing these cursed items would be a way to remove dark magic from the four lands for good.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016