1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Shining Dark by Triple-Helix - Bleach

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Otters, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: The Shining Dark
    Author: Triple-Helix
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Sci-Fi
    Length: 281,883 words; 33 chapters
    Pairings: Ichigo/Rukia
    Summary: AU: Ichigo Kurosaki, talented pilot with a troubled past, and Rukia Kuchiki, covert operative of the G-13, must find a way to work together to face an uncertain, perilous future. Familiar storyline reimagined as an epic sci-fi narrative. 1st of a trilogy.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6023957/1/The-Shining-Dark

-​

This is a massive AU, but fantastic nonetheless. It's a fusion of Bleach with an original sci-fi space setting which reminds me a little of Mass Effect or Firefly, but more than anything of that cartoon Titan A.E. - Ichigo isn't a fighter, he's a skilled pilot. Elements of Bleach are translated nicely into the new setting: Karakura isn't a town, it's a space station. Ichigo rides a SHN-P0 hoverbike. Hollows aren't demonic monsters; they're biomechanical space-faring aliens.

Characterisation is all done very well, too. The focus is mainly on Ichigo and Rukia, and there's a fair amount of focus on the pairing, which is tackled with tasteful maturity and a certain degree of emotional warmth which makes it fairly satisfying. Side characters are consistent and vivid in the motivations, and the author keeps plot moving forward at a decent pace.

The only thing holding it back is that it's the first of a promised trilogy, and hasn't had an update in three years. Still, there's more than a quarter of a million words here. Definitely worth reading what's here so far. Although it's a very loose interpretation of Bleach, I'd still class this as one of the best in the fandom.

4/5

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Placeholder for a review later to remind myself. I really liked this fic.

3. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

The idea and setting is interesting and the execution okay but even so I was a bit disappointed by the story and its characters. Part of that may be that due to the rather AU take on the story/universe I expected it to be a more self-contained story and instead got a story where without knowledge of Bleach the reader will likely feel lost several times. Without the constant cameos from Bleach characters and my own lingering interest in the fandom this would really be a less than average sci-fi story. I also feel like the pacing of the story is somewhat messed up, Ichigo and Rukia go for example from total strangers who distrust each other to lovers/best friends sharing their deepest secrets in something like two days (and maybe four substantial interactions with each other).

Ratings wise I will give this a 3/5 stars since despite my misgivings it has an interesting idea and technically solid writing

4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed this one a fair bit. Cut above most fics in the fandom purely for the familiar characters in a new setting. Action was engaging. One of the foes in the later chapters, I think the Hollow analogues, were quite creepy from what I remember. 4/5.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I really liked the futuristic setting for this. It was a fresh take on the dynamics of the Bleach Universe. Its well thought out setting based on the canon universe, and its not something I've seen before.

Too bad it was abandoned. That usually happens with drastically different AU's like this. Just too much work. You might as well write your own story with the amount of planning that you're putting into this.

Overall 4/5