1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Songs of the Fox by RahXephon - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by SleepyOne, Feb 9, 2009.

1. SleepyOne

SleepyOne Squib

Title: The Songs of the Fox
    Author: RahXephon
    Rating: T
    Pairing: "Naruto / FemOC or maybe Naruto / FemHarem"
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 130,888
    Updated: August 5, 2011
    Published: January 26, 2009
    Summary: Naruto ended up in an entirely different world after a fight against Akatsuki. Losing both Kyuubi and his Chakra, Naruto struggles to adjust himself to life as a villager. When crisis strikes, Naruto and his new friends are forced to go on a journey.

Link: The Songs of the Fox on FF.net

A splendid breath of fresh air to the Naruto AU genre. You'll find yourself enjoying the amount of detail the author uses to paint the picture of Naruto's trials. . His Taijutsu and remaining Chakra still make him exceptional (initially he cannot perform jutsu), but not 'overpowered' and you'll find yourself enjoying the path RahXephon takes.

The combat scenes enticed me since Naruto was of similar combat level or slightly below to his opponents. I'm eager to watch where this story leads, this style of writing is enthralling for description and combat detail.

Note: I think I posted this correctly and in the right place, I just want to verify I did because this is my first story post.

Checked: June 4, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Mechanicalchrist

Mechanicalchrist Groundskeeper

So it's basically just Naruto in the land of OCs? Is there anything special about this world the author creates? I dunno, this just doesn't seem like the kinda thing I like to read. I'll pass for now.

3. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Is this a world the author made on his own? or is this world from some anime-like an x-over?

4. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

It's an original world. And it's a pretty decent one.

It's not long enough for me to rate, but it's pretty good so far.

5. artenry

artenry Guest

It's interesting enough, definitely.

The fact that Naruto's lost the Kyuubi, as well as the ability to manifest chakra on his own, irked me at first, but I think the author does a good job of making up for it, at least for now.

A few more chapters would be nice.

6. SleepyOne

SleepyOne Squib

A big part of what got me on board was an author, in Naruto fanfiction, who wasn't completely locked bull and horns into using cliche Japanese names and culture. So instead of the same general rehash of characters, it put him in a new setting completely allowing some room to make a creative story. Similar to something like GeneralGrevious did in his WoW/Naruto story initially.

7. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

If the writer maintains the quality and similar pacing I'll be very happy with this story. Despite feeling hesitant to read a story where Naruto is the only ninja-like thing present, the author has done a terrific job of creating an original fantasy world that is actually interesting to read. And yes, the break from reading about fights against Sasuke/Akatsuki/Orochimaru makes for a nice break.

As it is, I feel as if I've only read the first two-three chapters of a fantasy novel and there's much more territory to cover.

4/5 for now, with a high chance for it being raised.

8. Ksai

Ksai Third Year

This fic reminded me of one story I've read, where Naruto and most of the main characters are transported in a Mecha world. And Naruto became a great operator of a giant robot... Sasuke was of course an evil villain with a pimped robot and a cane...

Quite honestly - I tried to read this story but could not force myself to read any further after the first chpater.
    Dont see what it is that atracts you guys to this story...

2/5 for good writing skills.

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I immediately thought that this would be some lame Naruto/Tayuya fic when I saw the title.

10. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

When reading the summary, you can't just go "Original universe? No way am I reading this." While it is true that many such fics are craptastic in the extreme, the author makes this work using a descriptive writing style and gradual building of his OCs, starting with two very generic characters.

The culture seems to be inspired by the Codex Alera series, by Jim Butcher; some people have affinities for the elements that make them strong combatants/healers. It's well-written, and it has the feel of an epic fantasy novel. I got Eragon deja vu reading this; many components are similar,right down to the cruel butcher who overcharges people.

Short Version: The author pulls off the original universe concept well, go read it.

I'm withholding judgement currently, as it's hovering between a 4 and a 5, but I'm inclined to go with the latter due to its quality.

11. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yea, I'd rate it a 5, if Naruto would start beating the crap out of people, rather than being a battery for the others.

And as that still might happen, I'm going to hold off with a 3-4/5.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  12. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm still thinking that the Kyuubi has been transported to this world as well, and will likely turn up as either a super weapon of one of the big warring nations (probably the Brond Imperium) or just in the wild ripping shit up.

It's a decent original world so far, which I wasn't expecting, though the power of the life element seems very overpowered. Then again there has been a reason given for that so I suppose it's understandable. What I'm curious about though is whether these gods do actually exist or whether the increased powers are just a psychological effect and the people are actually capable of that much in the first place but believe they can't...

13. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

The author has a thing against overpowering the main character, yet he makes a bunch of people around Naruto powerful. Solid 4/5 for me. I would also rate 5/5 if Naruto start kicking ass.

14. xeromercy

xeromercy Squib

Seriously. I like the story since it has solid writing and an intricate AU, but I really hope that Naruto turns into something more than a support character. He's pretty much a weak version of Orochimaru, giving his version of the cursed seals and only being "powerful" leeching off other people's powers. Still I give the story a 5/5.

15. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

actually I'd rate it a 4.5 simply because he doesn't immediately go insane super ninja on everyone. I rather like this new world, and if the author is serious about it being original, then (s)he is wasting it on fanfiction. It touches just enough on the history of our own world to be intriguing, but departs sharply enough to let you know that it is most certainly NOT earth.

good plot, good flow, excellent grammar and punctuation, compelling story, somewhat believable premise for dimension hopping, and a moderately powered and very believable naruto and Co.

Definatlely on the bookmark list.

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be honest, it's a generic fantasy world, so I wouldn't say it's that well suited to an actual published story.

Just look at it this way:

1) Barbarian northerners - check.
    2) Elemental powers - check.
    3) Potentially warring nations - check.
    4) Poor home town - check.
    5) Attack on home town by previously mentioned barbarians - check.
    6) Special unit of powerful mages - check.

Hell, you could change a few names and you'd have Codex Alera, even down to the supposedly powerless protagonist. It's like he rolled a dice for the attributes of the world from a list of generic fantasy tropes.

It works well though, and is more than good enough for fanfiction. I like it and so far it's getting a 4/5 from me. I can pretty much predict who is going to do what if the plot goes the way I think it will.

17. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Actually, according to his profile one of his favourite series is Codex Alera.

I like it so far, when the whole Naruto, son of Uzumaki came up I thought it was gonna be a LoTR crossover.

4/5 for me.

18. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

Haha. In some cultures it's standard and written in language and the way names are given to refer to yourself that way, but it's become this fantasy trope, probably because it's "exotic".

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Hm...doubt I'll read this. I absolutely cannot stand a weak protagonist (as several people have indicated that this one has). It's like, my biggest peeve in fiction, fanwork or otherwise.

20. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Eh, I doubt he'll stay weak for long. But the story is young and who knows what will happen.