1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Soul Has Bandaged Moments, by serendu - K+

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Link, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Title: The Soul Has Bandaged Moments
    Author: serendu
    Rating: K+
    Genre: HP/SGA Crossover
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: No pairings
    Summary: Harry Potter was 18 when he first stepped into Atlantis. HPSGA crossover.
    Link: FF.net

The first thing that should be said about this fanfiction is that it isn't much of a HP/SGA crossover. Well, we hardly see Atlantis at all, it's centered principally on Harry being independent, destroying Voldemort with some Muggle military help, Dumbledore's manipulations.

There's a few cliché in it, though not many are really annoying (Dumbledore stealing money from Harry's vaults, Ginny-slut trying to slip love potion to Harry, etc). The ending was kind of rushed. Some character are correctly written, other are more shallow. We don't see much of Atlantis and just minimal interaction with the Wraith, but well, it can be expected with a 55k words long story.

Despite all this I kinda liked the fanfiction, there are a few interesting concepts. It's written more or less well; I don't notice minor grammar and spelling mistakes, so I'm not the good person to judge it. The story is written in a non-linear style and I haven't seen many story in such a fashion, and it flowed pretty well.

3.5/5

2. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Its not bad. But the jumping back and forth between scenes and though time without any reference was annoying. It like trying to keep track of 3 different things at once.

3/5

3. Crazy1

Crazy1 Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I'll concur on the hate for random time/space jumps. There's no need for it, and it just bugs the hell out of me. Not something to read if you just want to sit down, and not have to remind yourself which timeline you're in every 10 seconds or so.

I read this a long time ago, and thought it was passable then. Now, it would seem my standards have become a little higher.

Voldemort getting killed by sniper? There's just something wrong about it. Even after he dies, though, I'd have thought that the remaining Death Eaters would have at least some semblance of common sense, and attempt to shield themselves.

I hated the chapters of nothing but letters as well. Even I can see that it's just a cop out because the author can't write real filler.

Under-18s can't join the military in the UK. Even if they could, a green teenager with barely any combat experience and the sub-par intelligence and inability to follow orders that Harry Potter's consistently shown in canon certainly wouldn't be given such a sensitive role in spec ops.

Now that I'm done bashing the hell out of it, I suppose I can talk about the good bits.

I love the interaction between Harry and O'Neill's clone. They seem to complement each other's skill sets. The Asgard are perfectly in character - though that's not difficult - they're pretty stilted anyway.

Overall - 3/5. Deserves to stay simply because of the rarity of the genre. HP/SG1 isn't hard to find, but it can be damn difficult to get a decent SG:A cross.

4. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

3/5

Its got a few clever ideas, quite a few surprises (which is difficult with half a million fics in the genre already), and features the most painfully written manipulative dumbledore to end all manipulative dumbledores since Sacrifices.

Realism for MI5 was thrown out the window (the author even mentions in one of his author notes about how he screwed up part of it, but was just going with it anyway), but it was plausible enough to not be grating.

Keeping track of all the timelines is hard. Well worth it, you can juggle what seems like about 5 different time pieces with no author notes on what they are and when they are and what the relationship temporally is between them. Otherwise, you should take notes, or just go with it.

5. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sacrifices!Dumbledore was the best Manipulative!Dumbledore of all time, not the worst. Point of fact, the series was written in 2005 and was likely the cornerstone of WBWL!fics, spawning all the terrible cliches that we now know.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I'll read this fic, sounds interesting.

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

What is this 'Sacrifices' you speak of, T3t? It sounds interesting, and to read what is considered the progenitor of most of the bad cliches on ff.net? Case study. :)

7. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Basically your average independent Harry story, I rated this a 3. It has decent writing and a decent plot. This story is probably his better one. The other ones looked like crap, for the most part.

Though I did like this story, it's really just "average" because it's been done so many times (That and the fact that I honestly can't see Albus anything else other than a manipulative ass-hat in stories based off of his Canon personality).

The only other thing that bugged the shit out of me was that he didn't put spacers between the time periods the story was telling. He didn't tell the date/year between the time periods. Annoying as shit, but the only thing that bothered me in the story.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011